• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overhead line problems at Radlett

Status
Not open for further replies.

DelayRepay

Established Member
As of Wednesday (the day the wires came down) my understanding is that no trains, either electric or diesel, were running anywhere between Luton Airport Parkway and West Hampstead in either direction, so the option of FCC running a limited service from London to stations in Herts / Beds wasn't on.

My understanding was that FCC trains were running between Luton Airport Parkway and Bedford (I've no idea how frequent - as this would have depended on just how many trains were north of Luton at the moment the whatnot hit the fan.)

I also understand that coaches (in addition to the Hatfield - St Albans / Harpenden service) were arranged to do Hitchin - Luton and St Neots - Bedford, so would have thought passengers for those areas would have done better not changing at Hatfield, and pretty sure this is what the FCC website was advising on the day. Obviously I wasn't at Kings Cross, so wonder if some staff at Kings Cross were giving duff information?

You're correct. Passengers for St Albans and Harpenden were told to alight at Hatfield and use buses. There were a few folk at Hatfield wanting Bedford and Luton but I think they'd got condused.

The issues people are talking about relating to Bedford and Luton trains were on Thursday evening, when trains were running but to a very limited timetable.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I believe a vast chunk of SNCFs TGVs are nuclear powered ;)

Given that France relies very heavily on nuclear power to generate electricity, you're closer to the truth than you think.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Was the line running as many services in the 60s and as long trains (so if one was cancelled, there was a chance to fit those passengers on the next train)?

Personally I'd also like to know if my train was nuclear powered!

The driver would be glowing.

The line north of (the old) St Pancras enjoyed its best ever service after electrification (and after the unions agreed to stop blacking the DOO Class 317s).

Opening the Snow Hill tunnel generated much more cross-London traffic that would otherwise have used the Underground and no doubt many passengers decided to take on employment on the other side of London to where they lived because of the quicker journey times.

My own personal belief is that the most frequent and reliable service given to passengers north of Luton was when the box was being constructed to put the new low level platforms in at St Pancras. All trains were eight coaches and there was a fifteen minute regular interval service throughout the day, with more trains in the peaks. You could arrive at St Pancras in the knowledge that there would probably be a train waiting and if not, you'd only have to wait fifteen minutes. None of this "... train delayed because of points failure at Preston Park" malarkey. Because the service was self-contained, it was easier for the operators to recover from failed units or driver not turning up.

Under normal circumstances Flitwick has a good (although not evenly spaced) range of trains in the morning peak, but having one at 07.04, 07.08, 07.26, 07.32 (slow), 07.40 and 07.43 is not ideal. All it takes is for the 07.26 to be cancelled (which it frequently is) for there to be a large gap between trains that get you into London for a reasonable 09.00 start to work. Because of extra stops at Radlett, Elstree, Mill Hill & West Hampstead the 07.32 gets to St Pancras considerably later than the 07.40.

FCC has a habit of not telling Pax at Flitwick that the 07.40 is delayed or cancelled until after the 07.32 has come and gone. Just another example of bad customer service from the purple ones.

12CSVT

Established Member
FCC has a habit of not telling Pax at Flitwick that the 07.40 is delayed or cancelled until after the 07.32 has come and gone. Just another example of bad customer service from the purple ones.

This might have something to do with the fact that the 07.40 isn't due off Bedford until the 07.32 has reached Flitwick, so unless they are equipped with a crystal ball, there is probably no realistic way of knowing in advance.

tsr

Established Member
This might have something to do with the fact that the 07.40 isn't due off Bedford until the 07.32 has reached Flitwick, so unless they are equipped with a crystal ball, there is probably no realistic way of knowing in advance.

One would imagine that, due to the myriad number of reasons for delays/cancellations, FCC may have information on this on at least some occasions.

For example, if the stock for the 0740 off Flitwick is known to have a serious fault and will be taken out of service at Bedford, then, depending on where the fault developed, this information may be passed through the system and end up on the CIS at Flitwick in time for passengers to catch the 0732.

The problem at Flitwick is actually its proximity to Bedford, which is of course where the vast majority of the FCC services in the locality do start from. A fault or a last-minute infrastructure problem may result in an alteration to a train starting there, but which can only be detailed a few minutes before it will have any effect at Flitwick.

I have been stranded at Flitwick due to a major incident before, and I know several users of the station, so I feel I have a reasonably good idea of what can go on there!

The 07.40 is timetabled to leave Bedford at 07.30, so FCC should know well before 07.32 if it will be delayed or cancelled.

What happens is that trains are shown as being delayed by more and more minutes on the screens before finally being cancelled.

The real pods take however is that the train often shoots through without stopping, carrying passengers from Bedford.

Status
Not open for further replies.