• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

overlapping advance tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wonder if you were aware that the last time we discussed this..
I've merged the threads as they are all discussing the same principle.

My view is unchanged: there's nothing to say it isn't valid, I believe it is permitted.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I agree with John@Home's interpretation of the rules as posted in a slightly different context.

In essence, Condition 19 allows a journey to be made on more than one ticket. Break of Journey is defined as leaving station premises. Therefore BoJ restrictions have no bearing on changing from one ticket to another.

In the scenario described, the passenger would travel on ticket 1 to B, then change to ticket 2. Or alternatively travel the full distance of ticket 1 and commence using ticket 2 at C. (It makes no difference whether this is all on the same train or the passenger changes at B or C). No BoJ has occured and all travel is on the booked trains.

If people start using this logic en masse to, for example, travel to Southampton on a Waterloo-Brockenhurst Advance and Southampton Airport-Southampton CDS, then we can expect to see the terms 'clarified'.

Last edited:

barrykas

Established Member
In the scenario described, the passenger would travel on ticket 1 to B, then change to ticket 2. Or alternatively travel the full distance of ticket 1 and commence using ticket 2 at C. (It makes no difference whether this is all on the same train or the passenger changes at B or C). No BoJ has occured and all travel is on the booked trains.

If people start using this logic en masse to, for example, travel to Southampton on a Waterloo-Brockenhurst Advance and Southampton Airport-Southampton CDS, then we can expect to see the terms 'clarified'.

No 'clarification' is needed, surely? The published conditions for Advance tickets explicitly state that they are not valid for Break of Journey, stopping short or starting long.

Use of station facilities, of course, is not a BoJ...

34D

Established Member
I wonder if you were aware that the last time we discussed this, the thread even had exactly the same title: overlapping advance tickets
and the time before that, it had . . . . . . wait for it . . . . . . . exactly the same title : Overlapping advance tickets

But don't forget that old threads get locked after a time....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Ah, but that's very different. I think we are all comfortable that that isn't permitted, however using an advance Waterloo-Basingstoke and a Woking-Southampton (whether advance or not) Woking-Southampton - it seems logical that as long as the train calls Woking and Basingstoke the combination is valid (or would just need to call Basingstoke if the second ticket allowed a change of train).

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
No 'clarification' is needed, surely? The published conditions for Advance tickets explicitly state that they are not valid for Break of Journey, stopping short or starting long.

Use of station facilities, of course, is not a BoJ...

Use of station facilities is indeed not BoJ, nor is changing trains, nor surely is remaining on a train.

The journey is not started or finished short: the passenger starts at the origin on ticket 1 and
ends their journey at the destination on ticket 2. At all points they are travelling on a route permitted by their ticket and on the compulsory reserved service when appropriate.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ah, but that's very different. I think we are all comfortable that that isn't permitted

Perhaps it wasn't the best example but I don't see a fundamental difference. At Soton Airport the passenger changes from travelling on the Advance to their second ticket, as permitted by Condition 19(a). They then continue to Central, the destination on their current ticket, where the journey ends. If you like they could disembark at Airport and board the next train, thus ensuring that their Advance no longer has validity for the Airport-Central stretch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.