• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster and paper travelcard with Disabled Railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnm

Established Member
I have an oyster with my Disabled Persons Railcard loaded on it. Can I purchase discounted paper travelcards for a travelling companion whilst in London? Disabled railcard allows for two adults to receive the discount on one railcard provided they travel together at all times. Does it matter that the medium on which the tickets are held would be different?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
From memory, the accompanying adult can purchase and use a child-rate Day Travelcard.

bnm

Established Member
That's even better then. And that's okay with me using PAYG credit on Oyster and my companion using a 1-6 child travelcard?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes that is correct, provided the Child Day Travelcard is only used when you are travelling together, in possession of your Disabled Railcard.

wintonian

Established Member
Be warned though, whilst it is perfectly permissible me and a friend had a rather embarrassing encounter at Charing Cross tube station (where we were made to feel like criminals initially) when his child travelcard wouldn't work the barrier. The barrier attendant insisted on asking my friend (a perfectly grown man pushing 40! :roll:) for proof of age and initially wouldn't believe me when I tried explaining the railcard thing, however I was persistent with this point and he eventually went and checked with a colleague who initially wasn't sure herself, but after thinking about it for a bit agreed with me that this was allowed.

In a nutshell the moral of this story is take a printout of this page or this one with you just in case. :)

Last edited:

bnm

Established Member
So, knowing my companion can use a Child Day Travelcard in Zones 1-6 can this be combined with a Reading to Boundary Zone 6 CDR ticket with the normal Disabled Railcard adult discount? This would allow for the cheapest possible combination of tickets for a day return with the added bonus of being valid on fasts to/from Paddington.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
I can confirm that I have used this combination of tickets going into Paddington (using a Didcot to BZ6, of course) before and it has been accepted, albeit after showing the railcard conditions to the guard.

Take a printout of the pages linked to above by Wintonian, to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.