• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pacer Preservation Society formed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lm321412

But Pacers aren't even proper trains, they're just modified leyland buses. Why waste money preserving them when the money could be better spent preserving something that most enthusiasts actually like and enjoy riding on?

Lets preserve one of your Pendolinos :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43021HST

Established Member
It's like a disease without a cure. Many resist for ages, but once you've succumbed.......

Its a bit like sexuality, you stay in the closet for ages abut once you submit theres no going back.:lol::lol: Anyway sad buggers for wanting to ride on one of those contraptions

Crossforth

Established Member
I will certainly join at some point soon and I would come down to Crewe but I will be travelling by train down to Cambridge that weekend.

I know they can be awful units at times but think of the stock shortages if you suddenly took 140 units out of service. You think we have problems with lack of stock with Pacers but without...

But I wish you all the best and hope I can help one day soon :D

Patrick

So for this reason, does that mean we are going to preserve all the pendos and voyagers, just to really drum it in!!!!

Oh heck. Yes i know railways arent run for enthusiasts, so Mr Pendo, please dont say it!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Oh god, you couldnt make it up! A pendo fan comes out with this statement!! LMAO!
Sorry, but if Pacers are modified leyland buses, then pendos are modified spaceships, or modified plastic tin cans.

I myself would for a lot of journeys possible on a pendo, rather travel on a pacer. For the rest (the longer ones) I wouldnt want to travel on either.

Dam, better say it again. I realise railways are not run for the enthusiast, so Mr Pendo, please dont say it!

Fine, I won't say that.

So you'd rather travel from London to Glasgow on a slow, cold and noisy train with bus seats than a 125 MPH tilting train? Makes a lot of sense.

And I'd definitely travel on a modified spaceship ;)

4SRKT

Established Member
Fine, I won't say that.

So you'd rather travel from London to Glasgow on a slow, cold and noisy train with bus seats than a 125 MPH tilting train? Makes a lot of sense.

I don't think anyone's said or even implied that. It's horses for courses as with any trains.

I've just e-mailed off for my membership form. This is a great idea. Pacers are one of the few unusual trains left that have not already got some sort of preservation movement behind them. As already stated, we've got years to get organised as the TOCs will need them for a long time. This gives time to raise interest and funds. I have to say that interest in pacers is certainly building in recent times, thanks I guess in part to the unrelenting positive propaganda put about by me and 142094 about what a larf days out on pacers can be. People are starting to see the light!

lm321412

Fine, I won't say that.

I wouldn't want to sit on a Pendolino from London to Glasgow either, Birmingham is enough for me!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
and when they are coming to the end, why not have the mother of all Pacer bashes and do as mentioned above - London to Glasgow up the WCML? amazing fun!

I'd be up for that - especially if one of the units with original seating was involved and I could have a seat at the back end of the carriage...

It probably could actually be fitted in path wise with a bit of careful planning but some of the loops required are probably passed for freight only?

WestCoast

Established Member
Pacers are noisy, uncomfortable and cold BUT they hold a strange appeal for me:D. I've got some good memories of them, and the not so good.

I like their seeming uniqueness, such as their bus doors which ratttle and shake as other trains go past.

It does make me laugh to hear South East commuters whinging about how unfomfortable the transverse seating is on their shiny new 378s:roll:. While in the other areas of the country we're bouncing our way around on pacers!

fgwrich

Established Member
Pacers are noisy, uncomfortable and cold BUT they hold a strange appeal for me:D. I've got some good memories of them, and the not so good.

I like their seeming uniqueness, such as their bus doors which ratttle and shake as other trains go past.

It does make me laugh to hear South East commuters whinging about how unfomfortable the transverse seating is on their shiny new 378s:roll:. While in the other areas of the country we're bouncing our way around on pacers!

...But to be fair, those shiny new (rancid!) 378s do have the comfort level of a metal park bench!

I Don't mind pacers either - always felt that the Walter Alexander 143/144 Fleets will outlast Leylands 142, parlty for build quility and parlty for the extra weight? But ill agree that the 142s do have a certain charm of bizarre-ness about them! Especially there exhuast systems - throb throb throb when powering up from a station start & there 4 wheeled bounce bounce bounce!

Ok, Quick question/scenario for you all - Youve secured preservation of 142001 - Now, what livery would you preserve it in?

Mines, the former North Western Trains Blue With the Gold Star...
2nd choice Regional Railways...

And as for Long 142 Runs - Anyone fancy a trip on this!

http://units.fotopic.net/p53965343.html

junglejames

Established Member
Fine, I won't say that.

Sorry, wasnt on about you when I mentioned Mr Pendo! Im afraid somebody else has already taken them up the aisle!

As for London to Glasgow. Nope, that comes under the longer routes, which means I wouldnt want the pendo or a pacer. Also, it may be a 125mph tilting train, but you fail to point out the important bits. The fact on long distances its bloody uncomfortable!!
Id have to be in 1st class to go that distance on a pendo. Standard is a no go. Could still do with a bit more padding on the pendos 1st class seats though.

Am I the only one here that finds the original pacer seats more comfortable than a pendo on short journeys? Long journeys, and the low seat backs get annoying, but for short journeys I find the seats fine. Legroom can be a bother, but not the seats.

O L Leigh

Established Member
I definitely think a couple of pacers should be preserved, despite their drawbacks they have played a major role in provincial dutities and saving forgotten branch lines.

More than a couple already have been preserved. There's the Cl140 and a good smattering of Cl141's.

Heck, they've even reached places they never reached when they were in mainline service. There's one on the MNR and I'm certain I saw another one at Chappel & Wakes Colne when I drove past there a few weeks back.

If the idea is to show how these unusual trains developed surely we've already got the bases covered already...? Why bother with preserving the more successful and mainstream "wide-body" units as well?

O L Leigh

4SRKT

Established Member
If the idea is to show how these unusual trains developed surely we've already got the bases covered already...? Why bother with preserving the more successful and mainstream "wide-body" units as well?

O L Leigh

Well, partly because if people want to preserve something, then that's their business. If you don't want to get involved, then don't. Nobody seems to mind that there are dozens of preserved class 37s, which is a lot more than 'covering the bases'.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
i'm not the man to ask Re that, but think we'd prob need 2 or 3 units in multiple to meet demand and maybe best for it to take place on a Sunday. Guess it would take round 8 hours? think a first class pendo return mite be a plan after lol. Yeh i'd join in that too. As said earlier we have none in Scotland and this to me is regretable.
I'd be up for that - especially if one of the units with original seating was involved and I could have a seat at the back end of the carriage...

It probably could actually be fitted in path wise with a bit of careful planning but some of the loops required are probably passed for freight only?

prod_pep

Established Member
Anyone who wants to preserve a train for future generations, however mundane, deserves respect in my opinion. So, good luck - I will try to support it at some point but would rather support the Class 502 preservation at the moment.

Established Member
I have to say that interest in pacers is certainly building in recent times, thanks I guess in part to the unrelenting positive propaganda put about by me and 142094 about what a larf days out on pacers can be. People are starting to see the light!

It sure is, and what a larf it can be, especially when mixed with a bit of a drink.

Planning my Northern £10 day ticket, trying to get to Liverpool on a 142. Might be a bit tricky.

4SRKT

Established Member
It sure is, and what a larf it can be, especially when mixed with a bit of a drink.

Planning my Northern £10 day ticket, trying to get to Liverpool on a 142. Might be a bit tricky.

Do 142s work Manchester Victoria > Lime St? Pacers all the way York > Harrogate > Leeds > Brighouse > Victoria > Lime St if so :)

Established Member
I'm hoping they do, otherwise I should be able to get as far as Manchester.

Two plans to get to Manc are the same as you, also York - Selby, Selby - Leeds, Leeds - Sheffield via Barnsley, Sheffield - Piccadilly via Hope Valley.

Most likely will be doing it one Saturday in the next three weeks. More that welcome to come along if you can get time away from nursing duties!

O L Leigh

Established Member
Well, partly because if people want to preserve something, then that's their business. If you don't want to get involved, then don't. Nobody seems to mind that there are dozens of preserved class 37s, which is a lot more than 'covering the bases'.

As far as I'm concerned people can do whatever they like. I would never dream of stopping them. I was merely pointing out that if the desire is to preserve a Pacer then that has already been achieved.

O L Leigh

4SRKT

Established Member
Well, except that the term 'Pacer' was only applied to classes 142-144. Would you have asked the DPS why they were bothering as the prototype deltic was already in the Science Museum?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Well, except that the term 'Pacer' was only applied to classes 142-144. Would you have asked the DPS why they were bothering as the prototype deltic was already in the Science Museum?
I'm fairly sure that the 141s were grouped under the moniker of "Pacer" as well, even if the prototype Class 140 wasn't at the time of it's operation. I do agree with your statement though. The different Pacer classes each show an evolution in their design, and I think it's important to preserve an example of each.

I think we can rest safe in the knowledge that there will be preserved Pacers in the future: The few 141s that didn't get exported to Iran proved popular targets for purchase with preserved lines as they are basic, lightweight, don't take up much space and have large panoramic windows. It's easy to see this fact when you consider that some of their current preserved locations are so far removed from their original area of operation.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Were they not also known as Skippers?
The 142s used on the Devon/Cornish branches in the eighties were indeed known as Skippers, and painted in a mock GWR Chocolate and cream livery based on the layout of the then prevalent Provincial livery.

pacer-pete

I'd disagree with them the Class 140 and 141s being called Pacers. The term Pacer was officially given to 142001 by tv celeb Stuart Hall on 2nd Sept 1985 at 001's ceremonial launch, held at Manchester Victoria. Surely, anything that came before this date was not a Pacer and was simply a railbus?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm fairly sure that the 141s were grouped under the moniker of "Pacer" as well, even if the prototype Class 140 wasn't at the time of it's operation. I do agree with your statement though. The different Pacer classes each show an evolution in their design, and I think it's important to preserve an example of each.

I think we can rest safe in the knowledge that there will be preserved Pacers in the future: The few 141s that didn't get exported to Iran proved popular targets for purchase with preserved lines as they are basic, lightweight, don't take up much space and have large panoramic windows. It's easy to see this fact when you consider that some of their current preserved locations are so far removed from their original area of operation.

I'm half way through writing my next book on the Class 141s and early BREL railbuses and i've been amazed just how versatile and useful the 141s have been in preservation. The 141's main issue was lack of space, so even with the 141's being popular acquisitions, it would seem that the 142-144 units would be even more useful.

My first book "Still Nodding - A History of the Class 142" has been released by the HMRS and is available at: http://pacer-preservation.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2174229. At £4.99 it is a bargain!

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Woo! Must join this soon!

I'd do anything to preserve 143611 or any 143 otherwise! Wouldn't mind a trip on jointed rail :D

The only thing I don't like about 143s is the chapman seating, mainly as ain't a chapman seat fan anyway, so that's different!

I like the engine whirr when taking off in full power and the roar on some of the exhausts, if you get the right unit!

northernrail

I'd disagree with them the Class 140 and 141s being called Pacers. The term Pacer was officially given to 142001 by tv celeb Stuart Hall on 2nd Sept 1985 at 001's ceremonial launch, held at Manchester Victoria. Surely, anything that came before this date was not a Pacer and was simply a railbus?

But if it was a 142 that was given the term Pacer, then shouldn't it be a Term for the 142's only.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Well you'll have plenty of time to save up as I'm sure Northern will run them for another decade...!

Problem is they will be totally knackered by then - oh they now now ;).

Seriously though one does need preserving as it does represent a significant enough part of the railway scene. A three car example would be nice to go along with the 140 / 141 although the 142 is the common one.

Think of the locos that slipped through the net - the original NBL diesel hydraulic warships class 41. I'm not talkimg about the ones that look like D832 Onslought (class 42 & 43) but the first few that looked different. There were the baby versions of these Class 22 and the electric version class 21 (rebuilt as 29?). When they were available for preservation they were probably more hated than the pacers are now and the chance to preserve an example is regretably gone.

4SRKT

Established Member
But if it was a 142 that was given the term Pacer, then shouldn't it be a Term for the 142's only.

No. 143s and 144s were marketed as Pacers as well. Except the Laira 142s which were called Skippers. The 140 was withdrawn well before the term 'Pacer' was ever coined, and although some people have retrospectively called 141s 'Pacers', nobody did so at the time. They did call them a lot of other things though, most of them unsuitable for this forum......

Status
Not open for further replies.