• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pacer Withdrawals: The list (Reference)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Very sad. I think the 144s were drastically more pleasant to travel on that the refurbished “cram ‘em in” 150s that now run in their place.
At least the 150s don't leak, mostly... The 144s had compulsory customer showers installed!

Plenty of them have been saved, it was pretty much inevitable that there would be some sort of "pruning" of the preserved fleet... perhaps Covid has accelerated that a bit.

On Moderation
Report on another forum of one car of 144021 on the back of a low loader heading south on the M5 near Gloucester today. Hopefully heading the same way as 144015.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Update 142089 and 142056 are now in the scrap road at Eastleigh.

For anyone who knows, why is it that most scrappers cut out the numbers from the units? Is this just so they can go on Ebay, or is there another reason? I can't imagine any scenario that would require it, but it seems to be done pretty consistently... and presumably not just for fun. I also can't imagine much demand for a vehicle number panel from a Pacer.

Ewan M

For anyone who knows, why is it that most scrappers cut out the numbers from the units? Is this just so they can go on Ebay, or is there another reason? I can't imagine any scenario that would require it, but it seems to be done pretty consistently... and presumably not just for fun. I also can't imagine much demand for a vehicle number panel from a Pacer.
I think Raxstar/Arlington tends to sell flame cuts of the train numbers online (eBay I believe). Not too sure why Booths took the numbers off the 142s they scrapped but I thought the ones there had total destruction orders on them. Of course, the ones that went to Sims Metals for the chop were more or less obliterated shortly after arrival and I’ll have to assume the same thing happened to the three ex-Northern 142s that went to Wye Valley Metals, Hereford in 2020 after TfW finished stripping parts off of them

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think Raxstar/Arlington tends to sell flame cuts of the train numbers online (eBay I believe). Not too sure why Booths took the numbers off the 142s they scrapped but I thought the ones there had total destruction orders on them. Of course, the ones that went to Sims Metals for the chop were more or less obliterated shortly after arrival and I’ll have to assume the same thing happened to the three ex-Northern 142s that went to Wye Valley Metals, Hereford in 2020 after TfW finished stripping parts off of them
144015 at Newport had number panels cut out before being put in the shredder... though I'd argue doing so doesn't exactly breach a "Total Destruction Order"- it's not as if anyone can rebuild the unit from that one piece.

Mothball

Sighted a second 144 in the East Lancs Railways yard at Bury coupled to 144009. Unconfirmed reports on social media that it is 144010, due to give up some spares, and take 009's place at GMFRS's training centre. 009 supposedly to remain a ELR resident.

I saw 2 GWR liveried class 143 cars on the M42 yesterday morning heading southbound just past the m6 exit, any ideas where they were going from/too please?

Ewan M

I saw 2 GWR liveried class 143 cars on the M42 yesterday morning heading southbound just past the m6 exit, any ideas where they were going from/too please?
Do believe it was 143612 headed to the Vale of Berkeley Railway

Edit - my bad, was actually headed to the Llanelli & Mynydd Mawr Railway. They’ve got 612 for the next year or so :)

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Sighted a second 144 in the East Lancs Railways yard at Bury coupled to 144009. Unconfirmed reports on social media that it is 144010, due to give up some spares, and take 009's place at GMFRS's training centre. 009 supposedly to remain a ELR resident.
Anyone got any confirmation of this please?

Mothball

Anyone got any confirmation of this please?
I dropped a message to the Bury Unit Team on Facebook, the 144's are not specifically a part of there group so they could not comment, however they could confirm the second 144 on site is definitely 144010.

The_Train

Established Member
I dropped a message to the Bury Unit Team on Facebook, the 144's are not specifically a part of there group so they could not comment, however they could confirm the second 144 on site is definitely 144010.
Thanks for that, appreciate it :)

tricky18jan

I have seen pics appear on facebook of 144012 making its last journey to sims on back of a reids low loader and also pics of it in its last resting place at Sims

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
I have seen pics appear on facebook of 144012 making its last journey to sims on back of a reids low loader and also pics of it in its last resting place at Sims
That's a shame, as that was one of the better units.

Since I've been quite busy I'm going to try and find the time to update the list into the different sections rather than Pacer class type, this way we can see which units are preserved, which ones have been converted to other uses and those which have been scrapped.

tricky18jan

That's a shame, as that was one of the better units.

Since I've been quite busy I'm going to try and find the time to update the list into the different sections rather than Pacer class type, this way we can see which units are preserved, which ones have been converted to other uses and those which have been scrapped.
New post from same guy who took pics at Newport Docks today showing the pacer no more.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I think there is a Pacer cab frame attached to a building which you can see from trains approaching Blackpool North however I could be mistaken.

IamTrainsYT

I think there is a Pacer cab frame attached to a building which you can see from trains approaching Blackpool North however I could be mistaken.
It’s 142059’s. We tried to secure it to display in the Woodhead Rail Museum, however we ended up falling out with them over a dispute around it’s original ownership…

Status
Not open for further replies.