• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pacer's or Roof???

Pacer or Roof?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ukrob

Established Member
Maybe they are just treating this poll with the respect it deserves ;) Lighten up mate it is only a bit of fun....

I know it is a bit of fun - but there are actually obsessive types who mean what they say, and would actually chose a roof over a Pacer :)

Failed Unit

Established Member
I know it is a bit of fun - but there are actually obsessive types who mean what they say, and would actually chose a roof over a Pacer :)

Maybe we should let them have thier wish on a line with overhead :lol: (put on flame resistant suit as I know it isn't pleasent for the person that has to sort it out)

jayjay

Actually, I think the roof could probably be a fun experience. Out of the ordinary and a bit wacky. I wouldn't mind a go on that for the experience.
Pacers are mundane, but more safe.

So I'd choose pacer in general, but I want a go on the roof of a train.

Vulcan

Actually, I think the roof could probably be a fun experience. Out of the ordinary and a bit wacky. I wouldn't mind a go on that for the experience.
Pacers are mundane, but more safe.

So I'd choose pacer in general, but I want a go on the roof of a train.

Get to Beamish open air museum and have a ride on the old Blackpool tram.

4SRKT

Established Member
This morning's pacer from Leeds to Morley was warm, comfortable, smooth(ish) and on time. Not a single person to be seen on the roof either.

Death

Established Member
Gimme a Pacer anyday...Not only safer than the roof of any train, I'm one of the few rail enthusiasts who actually likes the class! 8)

Mind ye though...Given a controlled environment (No overhead structures, OHLE etc) and full NR/TOC clearance to do so (Thus in a safe manner) I certainly wouldn't turn down the opportunity of "surfing" the pantograph cutout of a Desiro if the opportunity were ever offered me! <D

4SRKT

Established Member
Gimme a Pacer anyday...Not only safer than the roof of any train, I'm one of the few rail enthusiasts who actually likes the class! 8)

I think there are quite a number of us who have a soft spot for them. I reckon that those posters who are on here foaming at the mouth about how rubbish they are are protesting too much........ They have a shameful secret and are trying to divert attention away from it.

Oswyntail

Established Member
IIRC, one of the most exciting - and strangely safe - train roof rides can be had on the Eurostar heading for the tunnel in England. That is, according to the Public Information film, "Mission: Impossible"

Established Member
IIRC, one of the most exciting - and strangely safe - train roof rides can be had on the Eurostar heading for the tunnel in England. That is, according to the Public Information film, "Mission: Impossible"

Nah, that was a TGV, in the English countryside for some reason. Must've got lost :lol:

Strangely running without having any power ;)

Last edited:

LWB

Britain's Railways will finally have lost their soul when it is no longer possible to trundle about in these fine conveyances along, for example, the exquisite Wennington line from Carnforth to Leeds. Richard Branson's airline seats are the anti-christ of civilised travel. Pacers for ever!! (or better still produce a modern version)

delt1c

Established Member
To all the Pacer bashers , remember Pacers were introduced at a time when mass closures were being considered , the Pacer was a low cost train built in an attempt to save lines. This they managed to do. So to all the haters I am to take it that you would rather have seen the lines closed instead of Pacers being built?
OK they may not be the best units , but they should be appreciated for what they have done.
There have been worse units in the past on longer services.

Vulcan

And to those complaining about their small size and fewer seats then a 150, I saw a 3 car 144 and a 142 in multiple today - 5 coaches of pacer!

fgwrich

Established Member
To all the Pacer bashers , remember Pacers were introduced at a time when mass closures were being considered , the Pacer was a low cost train built in an attempt to save lines. This they managed to do. So to all the haters I am to take it that you would rather have seen the lines closed instead of Pacers being built?
OK they may not be the best units , but they should be appreciated for what they have done.
There have been worse units in the past on longer services.

1 Agreed, and 2, like Class 150s on the relativity er, Long distance Holyhead to Scarborough and other TPE based services when they were near new...

Dont get me wrong, i like 150s, but not on services like that!

And to those complaining about their small size and fewer seats then a 150, I saw a 3 car 144 and a 142 in multiple today - 5 coaches of pacer!

And Great Western tends to double there pacers up fairly regulary - either with 2x142, 142/143, 142/150 / 142/153 or 143/153

Ok, whilst ill be happy to admit that 142s are hardly best suited for the Barnstaple Branch, i belive that they are pretty well suited to the Exmouth to Paignton services - fairly shot hop, CWRR, good door layout the devon metro service...

delt1c

Established Member
There are sevices on which Pacers are suited as has been said. With low back seating and used in multiple they have relitively fast station dwell times and can move relitively large volumes of passengers.
With their large windows and high backed seating they provide great views for more scenic lines. I used the Cardiff valley servuces a few years ago on quite a few occasions and I was impressed by the Pacers on the services, morning peak the volumes which the units carried was impresive and no more crowded inside than our commuter sevices here in the southh east. Using them off peak with high backed seats I found them surprisingly comfortable and pleasant inside.
These units are Unsung hero's.

Vulcan

There are sevices on which Pacers are suited as has been said. With low back seating and used in multiple they have relitively fast station dwell times and can move relitively large volumes of passengers.
With their large windows and high backed seating they provide great views for more scenic lines. I used the Cardiff valley servuces a few years ago on quite a few occasions and I was impressed by the Pacers on the services, morning peak the volumes which the units carried was impresive and no more crowded inside than our commuter sevices here in the southh east. Using them off peak with high backed seats I found them surprisingly comfortable and pleasant inside.
These units are Unsung hero's.

hear hear!

Status
Not open for further replies.