• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passenger boards XC at Manchester, dies, corpse travels undisturbed to Bournemouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

squizzler

Established Member
A slightly bizarre story has popped up in the press: it seems (quite reasonably IMO) that nobody wanted to disturb a chap who was assumed to be sleeping.

Distancing rules meant CrossCountry rail staff didn't spot dead man for five hours

Staff abiding by physical distancing rules failed to notice that a passenger had lain dead on a train for five hours after a heart attack, a rail company has said.

CrossCountry ticket inspectors on the Manchester to Bournemouth train thought the man was sleeping, the company said. Inspectors are currently advised to keep their distance from passengers because of anti-coronavirus measures. Story continues...

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSE

Established Member
I’m not surprised. If it wasn’t particularly obvious. I think people will be very cautious in the current climate. I’d wonder if maybe they would have said something if they could see his seat reservation on the screen above (assume this was a Voyager) said Manchester-Stockport and the train was approaching Basingstoke (unless the seat screen wipes after Stockport). Not nice to deal with so props/respect to the staff For having to do so.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It’s a sad case, but with staff reliefs on route, (maybe both New St and Reading) and passenger turnover on route and passenger distancing, it‘s not too difficult to see why it was missed by all.

Established Member
Given that staff have been instructed not to walk through the train then I am not surprised by this at all tbh.

Vespa

Established Member
They probably stayed away.
The agonal breathing would be mistaken for snoring.

Which is why there is a delay in prompt treatment otherwise it's survivable if caught in time.

Last edited by a moderator:

OMGitsDAVE

I travelled myself on XC the other day, and I didn't see one member of staff between Darlington and Edinburgh - and all of the ticket gates were open. This doesn't surprise me in the slightest given the new ways of working with Coronavirus etc.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
A slightly bizarre story has popped up in the press: it seems (quite reasonably IMO) that nobody wanted to disturb a chap who was assumed to be sleeping.

Described as "ticket inspectors"...but obviously at no point attempted to see his ticket to avoid having to make contact to wake him.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
They probably stayed away.
The agonal breathing would be mistaken for snoring.

Which is why there is a delay in prompt treatment otherwise it's survivable if caught in time.

A doctor friend of mine told me that once agonal breathing is heard, there's little chance of doing anything successfully.

Last edited by a moderator:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I expect the media will have just written “ticket inspectors” as being synonymous with guard or train manager. It’s possible to be reading too much into it...

pompeyfan

Established Member
I remember hearing about this, if I recall correctly it wasn’t a good day for them, believe an unrelated XC service discovered an injured person at Winchester.

should be noted that that majority of staff would love to be able to safely patrol their trains and deal with ill passengers, fare evasion etc but it’s just not possible at the moment.

Vespa

Established Member
A doctor friend of mine told me that once agonal breathing is heard, there's little chance of doing anything successfully.

Pretty much, it sounds like a silent heart attack.

I've seen people go in various circumstance, you get to know the signs, you sort of get used to it.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I found about this what yesterday or the evening before. People might be quick to blame XC (I'm certainly not faulting anyone!) but the fact is this nobody's fault - this is just unfortunate.

Bayum

Established Member
I wouldn’t say little... The death rattle can be heard at various points during a patient’s decline. I’ve heard it pre-arrest and during CPR. It can be seen as a ‘positive’ sign, as it’s one of the last efforts of the most innate system located in the brain stem trying to get oxygen into the body.
In out of hospital cardiac arrests, various statistics from the States have shown that 90% of these patients will die without prompt CPR. Up to 45% of patients who receive prompt and efficient CPR will survive. This increases

driver9000

Established Member
Sadly he isn't the first and won't be the last on either a train or a bus nor is it unique to the current pandemic.

Adlington

Apart from the current virus distancing rules, is there a guideline of some sort telling guards how "physical" can they become when somebody doesn't respond to "may I see your ticket, sir/madam?". How to check whether the person in question is fast asleep/stubborn fare dodger/unconscious/dead without being accused of assault?

LowLevel

Established Member
Apart from the current virus distancing rules, is there a guideline of some sort telling guards how "physical" can they become when somebody doesn't respond to "may I see your ticket, sir/madam?". How to check whether the person in question is fast asleep/stubborn fare dodger/unconscious/dead without being accused of assault?

Safety first. If you need to touch someone make sure you have a witness but it is permissible if necessary. I bang on the window with a t key first which is unbearable for all but the most committed of "sleepers".

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Sadly he isn't the first and won't be the last on either a train or a bus nor is it unique to the current pandemic.
I've known it happen on more than one occasion. One early morning arrival into a London Terminal on one occasion known for carrying various shift workers including railway, police and hospital staff a dead passenger went unnoticed.

djpontrack

Thank you.
Using a T key as a wakeup tool is a neat idea :D

I’ve tapped the table a few times with a T key which usually works, but I’ve also gently tapped someone on the shoulder with a T key when doing an onboard check. It’s always good if you have witnesses especially if you’re trying to check a female passengers ticket.

Edgeley

In the Sun account of the incident the man was discovered by a cleaner at the depot. Even with a coronavirus regime, shouldn't there have been a walk-through of the train to check it was clear before going out of passenger service?

Established Member
In the Sun account of the incident the man was discovered by a cleaner at the depot. Even with a coronavirus regime, shouldn't there have been a walk-through of the train to check it was clear before going out of passenger service?
No. The sets are checked from the outside only with specific instructions to check the toilets if they appear engaged. I wouldn't believe anything you read in the Sun either.

Swanny200

I wouldn’t say little... The death rattle can be heard at various points during a patient’s decline. I’ve heard it pre-arrest and during CPR. It can be seen as a ‘positive’ sign, as it’s one of the last efforts of the most innate system located in the brain stem trying to get oxygen into the body.
In out of hospital cardiac arrests, various statistics from the States have shown that 90% of these patients will die without prompt CPR. Up to 45% of patients who receive prompt and efficient CPR will survive. This increases

My father died of cancer in November, luckily he messaged me an hour and a half before to say basically the end was coming, by time I got to the Marie Curie hospice I got all of 20 minutes before the death rattle started to occur, I never realised that was what it actually was until you said it, I think the rattle lasted all of 10 minutes before he was gone. Deaths I can imagine would be very easy to miss in these current climate, the amount of people self isolating who have no family and nobody nearby who have sadly passed away could still be missed until all this is over and people eventually chase them up.

davetheguard

Established Member
Safety first. If you need to touch someone make sure you have a witness but it is permissible if necessary. I bang on the window with a t key first which is unbearable for all but the most committed of "sleepers".

Back in the day, metal ticket clippers were used for the same purpose, with equal success.

pompeyfan

Established Member
No. The sets are checked from the outside only with specific instructions to check the toilets if they appear engaged. I wouldn't believe anything you read in the Sun either.
Bournemouth is operated by SWR, I’m near certain that SWR staff walk the train before the unit goes into the middle siding.

Status
Not open for further replies.