• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passengers Must Not Cross The Line, There Is No Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

krus_aragon

Established Member
There's one at Hale saying "Do not cross the line" then underneath says "Except by means of footbridge"

However, in the case of Hale there's a level crossing at the other end of the platform which is a perfectly acceptable place to cross the track, in addition to the footbridge.

Hereford has (or had) a set of plain "passengers must not cross the line" signs just before the barrow crossing!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Timer

Established Member
While I'm in the "they should know better" camp,

"Passengers must not pass this point or cross the line or walk a bit"
^
Is a photographer a passenger if they aren't on a train? At what point are you a passenger? Are people seeing off relatives fine to cross it? :)
The sign is a prohibition on all persons (not staff).

A passenger is a person who holds a ticket and is in the process of travelling. Technically no person without either a ticket or a platform ticket should be on the platform unless they are on business with the Railway, or are authorised in some other way, in which case they are required to obey signs the same as anyone else.

On an unmanned station anyone not travelling may be ejected either under Railway Byelaws or civil law (vagrancy).

Phil6219

It is very annoying to see and hear of people still causing trouble all in the name of "that perfect shot", I got the Black Fives on Saturday (twice) without being in anyone's way and being on the correct side of the yellow line too - which another issue. How did I do this you may ask, well I didn't go to a crowded station, I went to one a bit further along - job done.

People seem to consider taking pictures or videos as a competitive sport, well it isn't. Don't get me wrong I curse like a wounded sailor when my shot goes wrong or I just miss something special and I have come close to exchanging words with someone for messing up (or in the end actually saving) my shot - he stopped me from panning around and in hindsight it would have been too dark for a pan.

Just today I got a really bad angle on a DRS 66, it was coming at speed and someone suddenly set up shop right infront of my tri-pod so rather than moan I just repositioned myself a few feet on - Ironically with part of the tripod under the "Passengers must not cross the line" sign :)

As for the wording, I consider it to mean do not cross the line (running rails) however even if the sign was at the bottom of the ramp I would not dream of shuffling down the ramp to get a shot. As for the ones that say not to pass "this point" I think it's pretty clear.

Going back to the yellow line, how many times are people crossing well over the yellow line in order to get a shot? I will hold my hands up and admit that I have in the past stood just over the yellow line whilst the train is a good distance away and as it nears I move to a position of safety back behind the line. I have never had a problem / chiding over this but countless times I have seen muppets straddling the yellow line or just plain beyond it on some seriously high speed lines.

On the subject of the yellow line, has anyone noticed that on a damp day the wake turbulence is a lot more stronger than a calm and crisp day? I learned that today, again from behind the yellow line :)

Phil 8-)

Status
Not open for further replies.