• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passengers with no manners

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulfoel

As a regular train traveller I guess I'm not the only one who sees "flappers". People who just feel the need to run around the platform as if the train is going to go without them if they dont run towards it.

Today, for some reason, one such flapper really got my goat.....

7am this morning. Platform pretty much empty. Train arrived - pretty much empty as per normal. I'm standing by the door waiting for it to open (off to the side so people can get off - another bugbear of mine). I spot a woman in her 40s maybe, zooming up the platform.

She gets to me, steps in front of me and stands between me and the door. There was no gap though really. She was so close I could have put my arms around here. Of course, door opens and she dives onto train before the person waiting to get chance had got off.

I noted as I got on the train she'd dived into the nearest seat to the door and had sat down with her bag on her lap.

What on earth is wrong with these people? Just calm down a bit!!!!

Don't people realise that, you're on the platform, the train will not go without you. There is plenty of time to get on the train AND retain good manners without resorting to rude behaviour. Especially so if there is just one other person getting onto the train at that door!

(BTW - looked like she was travelling to New Street. I can imagine her flapping big time coming home from there. Bit more stressful than newport!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Just relax and let them get on with it, don't get wound up. it isn't worth it. The best weapon is the deployment of the good old fashioned British tut. Shaming.

Last edited:

deltic

Established Member
Or you ask her - "do you know what time this train gets into London (or any other random location it is not actually going to)" to completely throw her

168lover

I was once getting pushed against the side of a 168 in the morning peak at Wycombe by somebody who was pushing to get on. Quite funny thing happened though, all the other commuters turned round to this one guy and said 'there is nowhere for that poor lad to go' the guy then stopped and rather slowly boarded. The power of people power

al78

Established Member
Unfortunately there seems to be a subset of people for whom the edge of the visible universe extends to only the metre of personal space surrounding their body, nothing exists or is detectable outside this region. Not much you can do, apart from maybe an attempt at making them look stupid, such as enquire that given the hundred or so square metres of empty space around you is it really necessarily to stand right there a foot away from you in the smallest space possible? It is like from time to time there will be annoying people at my workplace who will be standing in a doorway having a conversation thus blocking the doorway, right next to an empty common room with plenty of chairs and tables.

SteveP29

That pees me off too, I always have an idea of where my coach will be, so stand there, then the latecomers barge up and as described, barely wait for the passengers getting off to do so before launching themselves at the open door, ignoring everyone already waiting, what do they think we're doing, having tea and cakes by the lineside?
Bus passengers really irritate me, they put their hand out to stop the bus, then jump on before anyone has had the chance to get off. When its me getting off, I always stop and say to them 'the bus will not run off without you'

paulfoel

That pees me off too, I always have an idea of where my coach will be, so stand there, then the latecomers barge up and as described, barely wait for the passengers getting off to do so before launching themselves at the open door, ignoring everyone already waiting, what do they think we're doing, having tea and cakes by the lineside?
Bus passengers really irritate me, they put their hand out to stop the bus, then jump on before anyone has had the chance to get off. When its me getting off, I always stop and say to them 'the bus will not run off without you'

Yes I wondered that too. What did that woman think I was doing standing there? It was obvious I wanted to get on the train so why did she think she had the right to step in front of me like that. Defies belief.

Got the getting off the train cracked now. After a few dodgy experiences with people trying to barge onto the train as I was getting off.

I'm a large lad so I'll push the button and stand right in the middle of the door so no-one can barge past. If theres someone slap bang in front standing on the platform and I can't safely step down I'll stand on the train and look at them. They soon move.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Just relax and let them get on with it, don't get wound up. it isn't worth it. The best weapon is the deployment of the good old fashioned British tut. Shaming.

In Surrey, tutting is our ultimate deterrent and we dread the day that we may have to use it. Conventional weaponry includes a slight cough, a brief stare and of course, an almost undetectable shaking of the head.

This morning's display of social blindness on my train was the man standing in the first class vestibule behind my seat eating a large plastic container of hot food which smelt like a cow which had eaten a curry. Unbelievable.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Got the getting off the train cracked now. After a few dodgy experiences with people trying to barge onto the train as I was getting off.

I'm a large lad so I'll push the button and stand right in the middle of the door so no-one can barge past. If theres someone slap bang in front standing on the platform and I can't safely step down I'll stand on the train and look at them. They soon move.

Exactly my tactic! Occasionally, in the face of inaction (they resolutely keep looking down at their 'phones, for example), I 'fall' out of the doorway into them - path cleared!

Last edited:

Urban-Savage

It works both ways...
Was on a peak packed EMT from Liverpool to Manchester
Arrival at Oxford Road n was stuck behind a lady struggling to get her ridiculously large suitcase out from between seat. In attempt to help n create space I moved around her explaining why n got yelled at for being rude and inpatient. After that I stayed put n watched her struggle.

martinsh

Established Member
Had an interesting variation on this experience the other day.

Was first in the queue, waiting to board a 153 to Derby at Crewe which (as usual) was full to standing, and the guard was making sure everyone was off before boardding commenced. Suddenly a bloke pushed past me through the very narrow space between me and the unit. I was just about to give him a piece of my mind when I realised he was the driver !!

Deepgreen

Established Member
Really, and I suppose neither of you have ever thought that when someone misses a train. Like I said self righteosness.

I think I need to explain what "self-righteous" means - it means (in this context) that when you say that you love it when staff refuse to allow late passengers to board and it serves them right, then you are adopting a position of superiority over those late passengers. I did not adopt this position. That is why I said that you were the person here adopting the self-righteous attitude (not to mention more than a hint of 'schadenfreude'), rather than anyone else. Your assumption that we all feel the same sense of self-righteousness has no basis.

I hope that is clear and that we can return to the thread topic.

TUC

Established Member
In Surrey, tutting is our ultimate deterrent and we dread the day that we may have to use it. Conventional weaponry includes a slight cough, a brief stare and of course, an almost undetectable shaking of the head.

This morning's display of social blindness on my train was the man standing in the first class vestibule behind my seat eating a large plastic container of hot food which smelt like a cow which had eaten a curry. Unbelievable.
[

That does seem to be something that south east commuters have a particular hang-up about though. They do seem to forget that people will be travelling on legs of much longer journeys, not just a commute into London, and that many stations sell hot takeaway food. Where else would passengers be expected to eat something sold at a station?

Deepgreen

Established Member
That does seem to be something that south east commuters have a particular hang-up about though. They do seem to forget that people will be travelling on legs of much longer journeys, not just a commute into London, and that many stations sell hot takeaway food. Where else would passengers be expected to eat something sold at a station?

Indeed, but this was a large 'Tupperware'-type box containing a clearly home-prepared and intensely smelly meal. I have to say, though, that if someone buys smelly food at a station, then eat it at the station rather than polluting the train. If it means missing a train (at East Croydon this isn't a disaster), then so be it. I was on a train the other day where two women were ploughing their way through a vast array of burgers and 'fries' which stank the whole section out and who travelled from Victoria to East Croydon.

It simply goes back to the thread's topic of manners - it's not banned but it is very anti-social and selfish, to the extent that, for example, London Underground, requests that passengers do not eat smelly food on the train.

Last edited:

greaterwest

Established Member
I saw someone blocking 4 seats on a 166 yesterday on the North Downs, she put her bicycle just inside the passenger saloon. Lots of tutting and head shaking came from my direction...

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The worst are those who, when faced with a staircase, suddenly forget which side is left and which is right. Also, those that push to the front of the queue at the ticket barriers and only then do they reach into their bag or wallet for their ticket. Oh, and those who can't keep in single file when exiting a station with rather narrow doorways.

All of these very irritating behaviours can be observed daily at Huddersfield...

03_179

Established Member
The ones I love are the ones that race down the ramp (despite notices to say don't run) to the platform at East Croydon and the door shuts on a London Bridge train.

The look of utter and total despair as if the world has come to an unfathomable end because they have missed the train they always travel on.

Oh no ... what's this .... another London Bridge train is just 3 minutes behind the one they always catch? ... what kind of strange parallel universe is this?

I rarely see the Victoria Commuters doing impressions of Usain Bolt ... it seems to be the domain for the ones for London Bridge.

AJG3

Bags on seats are my bête noire. With 2+2 seating on a class 455 in SWT land, the preferred option seems for the pax to sit in the aisle seat, whilst the bag gets the window.

168lover

The ones I love are the ones that race down the ramp (despite notices to say don't run) to the platform at East Croydon and the door shuts on a London Bridge train.

The look of utter and total despair as if the world has come to an unfathomable end because they have missed the train they always travel on.

Oh no ... what's this .... another London Bridge train is just 3 minutes behind the one they always catch? ... what kind of strange parallel universe is this?

I rarely see the Victoria Commuters doing impressions of Usain Bolt ... it seems to be the domain for the ones for London Bridge.

people in London forget the lack of trains outside of London. A train every 3 minutes at my local (High Wycombe) would be lovely

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Bags on seats are my bête noire. With 2+2 seating on a class 455 in SWT land, the preferred option seems for the pax to sit in the aisle seat, whilst the bag gets the window.

I always target those very seats to sit down. Many passengers, particularly the female species, seem to think that their 7 clothes shopping bags have priority over other passengers - Tough !!

Deepgreen

Established Member
I always target those very seats to sit down. Many passengers, particularly the female species, seem to think that their 7 clothes shopping bags have priority over other passengers - Tough !!

It also makes me wonder when some people insist on sitting on the aisle seat of an empty pair, get stuck into something - work, reading, etc., and then appear irritated when someone wants to sit down in the window seat. Is there such a thing as fear of window seats which makes them choose the awkward option?

First class occupiers also very often do the same thing, presumably to try to dissuade others from sitting next to them, by putting their bag, coat, etc., on the window seat.

HH

Established Member
The trick on some long distance is to reserve one seat and then sit in the seat next door!

When there is no better option I always pick on such people to sit next to. :)

455driver

Veteran Member
Had an interesting variation on this experience the other day.

Was first in the queue, waiting to board a 153 to Derby at Crewe which (as usual) was full to standing, and the guard was making sure everyone was off before boardding commenced. Suddenly a bloke pushed past me through the very narrow space between me and the unit. I was just about to give him a piece of my mind when I realised he was the driver !!
I think that is rather rude, the driver could have said "can I get in first please, I am the driver" or something similar, there is no need to just push in front.

me, I just wait on the platform, after a quick "excuse me please I need to get in there" and point to the cab door, if they dont move I just stand there.

I am not the one trying to get somewhere so I cant be bothered arguing with them.

My biggest delay was 5 minutes because they wouldnt let me out of (what was now) the back cab to change ends, they were physically pushing the cab door shut as I tried to (carefully) open it.

Last edited:

Antman

Established Member

So you go out of your way to cause confrontation with other passengers?

stut

Established Member
It also makes me wonder when some people insist on sitting on the aisle seat of an empty pair, get stuck into something - work, reading, etc., and then appear irritated when someone wants to sit down in the window seat. Is there such a thing as fear of window seats which makes them choose the awkward option?

This discussion has been done to death before, but... In many cases, it's legroom. I'll always go for an aisle seat because I can only really fit in comfortably if my knee protrudes on the aisle side. That said, the window seat remains clear, and I'll make it clear people are welcome to sit there.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

At the station? On the platform?

stut

Established Member
I thankfully no longer have to go all the way into London daily, but there used to be a particularly unpleasant "gent" on the peak train into London who would stand where the doors most often were (people rarely get off). Should they not quite align, he would simply barge the person standing there out of the way! I think he accidentally got his foot caught on something on one occasion and stumbled into the vestibule when he did so with me - didn't try it again...

I also find arrival at London Terminals particularly unpleasant. I had some pretty severe back problems a while ago, so couldn't walk very fast. Despite obviously being in some pain, and hardly walking in the middle of things, I found myself, on multiple occasions, being barged out of the way for walking too slowly along the platform.

Finally, Thameslink. Getting off at London Bridge southbound, or St Pancras northbound isn't so bad during the week, but on a busy weekend train, you do feel like you need to be a rugby player to get people out the way...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
At the station? On the platform?

Food eaten outdoors is very often responsible for rodent infestations, so that's not necessarily a good thing...

And what about those who commute on services with buffet cars (Peterborough, Reading...), at what point in the journey is it acceptable to have hot food?

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Its no different up north. Im forever on the PA telling people to stand back from the doors and let people off the train first (its actually in the rwilway byelaws, not that its ever upheld...) I have even had to challenge people blocking the doors preventing me from getting off!

The worst offender once I was putting the ramp down qt Leeds, this woman wouldnt wait and marched up the ramp as I was still laying it trapping and crushing my hwnd between the ramp and train. She promptly sat down on a tip up seat obviously eager to get a seat.

She was refused travel.

Sadly thats not an isolated case. People in wheelchairs often get bumped and barged by others eager to board even tho they can clearly see me with a ramp and wheelchair on platform or on trwin. I make them wait

Status
Not open for further replies.