• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passengers with no manners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
THIS DRIVES ME MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The lack of awareness of others around them is simply astonishing sometimes on the tube.

It's also poor design. Staff tend to stand in places where to talk to them is likely to cause a blockage, rather than being in a booth with a designated out of the way space in front.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

roversfan2001

Established Member
Not a passenger for this one but a VT employee at Preston a few months back (just after the TPE/NT franchise changes). I politely asked if the xx38 to Blackpool North from Preston was a class 185 (I was wondering about a first class upgrade) to be bluntly told 'no, it would be a Northern train and they don't have first class on any trains' or words to that effect (and Northern do have First Class on some services). I then told them, still politely, that the timetable states first class was available on said train. Instead of admitting a mistake the employee told me that I was mistaken and the xx38 would 'be a Northern train, you know the blue ones?'. That comment to me is very disparaging, the fact I was enquiring about a First Class upgrade and quoting class numbers in relation to that would probably suggest I knew what colour Northern trains were. :roll: Funnily enough, a class 185 rolls up, with First Class. :roll:

Some might not think that's rude but to me that was extremely rude.

Searle

Established Member
Sadly a lot of the female variety think that when they have bought a ticket it means that they can have two or more seats. What does my head in was when one female who was more ingrosed on reading a mag and listening to her mp3, placed her foot on the seat where I were sitting before placing her foot squarely into my meatballs, needless to say I pushed her foot down violently and told her if she did it again her shoe is going out of the window.

I wasn't in the best mood that day either otherwise I could have thumped them and smashed their mp3 to bits.

jesus, what a lovely chap you sound like.

It's not only the "female variety" that do this, it's everyone from both genders if you didn't realise.

antharro

Northbound Northern line train arrives at Waterloo in the Friday evening peak. Platform is pretty crowded, good number of passengers waiting to get off the train of which I am one. Train stops, people on the platform move aside to allow people off the train. One man is standing half way along the "gap" of people with a pushchair in front of him, child in the pushchair.

Doors open, he puts his head down and starts to walk up the gap created by people standing aside, pushing the pushchair ahead of him. I step off the train, take one step and find my way blocked. I quite bluntly tell him to let passengers off the train first, MATE. He looks up very quickly, sees the not very impressed look on my face. Retreats backwards muttering "sorry sorry sorry sorry", walking into several people behind him.

Another time, also at Waterloo, mainline platforms. Waiting for a fast Weymouth with a couple of other regular passengers. The rear five carriages have arrived, we're lined up waiting for the front five to arrive, standing where the front door would be. We stand a step further up the platform to create space for people to get off and usually form a line which others join as we wait.

Train arrives and the line forms. As it attaches to the rear five carriages, a woman walks up the platform and stands on the track side of the yellow line, right in front of one of the regulars who looks back at us with a look of "did she just do that?!". Train attaches and the doors open. She takes a step to one side, forcing the regular to take a step aside to avoid her walking into him. As soon as she can get on, she does. First person on, and takes a seemingly random aisle seat towards the front of the train. I, and the regulars shake our heads and get on. One of them says just a little too loud "Must have been in a hurry to sit down then!".

trainophile

Established Member
Not a passenger for this one but a VT employee at Preston a few months back (just after the TPE/NT franchise changes). I politely asked if the xx38 to Blackpool North from Preston was a class 185 (I was wondering about a first class upgrade) to be bluntly told 'no, it would be a Northern train and they don't have first class on any trains' or words to that effect (and Northern do have First Class on some services). I then told them, still politely, that the timetable states first class was available on said train. Instead of admitting a mistake the employee told me that I was mistaken and the xx38 would 'be a Northern train, you know the blue ones?'. That comment to me is very disparaging, the fact I was enquiring about a First Class upgrade and quoting class numbers in relation to that would probably suggest I knew what colour Northern trains were. :roll: Funnily enough, a class 185 rolls up, with First Class. :roll:

What Northern trains have First Class? Just curious.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Do Northern services using 185s treat First Class as First Class, or is it declassified? He might have been right in an odd way (the timetable possibly simply hadn't been updated). When old-Northern was using 180s it was declassified.

What other Northern services have 1st? I can't think of any.

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
Do Northern services using 185s treat First Class as First Class, or is it declassified? He might have been right in an odd way (the timetable possibly simply hadn't been updated). When old-Northern was using 180s it was declassified.

What other Northern services have 1st? I can't think of any.

None that I am aware of. Presumably he wanted to sit in the first class section.

Wolfie

Established Member
So rather than ask 'can you move your bag off my feet?' you just kicked it. Makes you part of the problem, surely?

I missed this. I have a congenital hip problem that is getting worse. I cannot and will not suffer physical discomfort because of someone else's thoughtlessness and/or poor manners - full stop, end of conversation...

2 wrongs don't make a right...

See above.

Sadly a lot of the female variety think that when they have bought a ticket it means that they can have two or more seats. What does my head in was when one female who was more ingrosed on reading a mag and listening to her mp3, placed her foot on the seat where I were sitting before placing her foot squarely into my meatballs, needless to say I pushed her foot down violently and told her if she did it again her shoe is going out of the window.

I wasn't in the best mood that day either otherwise I could have thumped them and smashed their mp3 to bits.

It's not only the "female variety" that do this, it's everyone from both genders if you didn't realise.

To be fair, despite the hint of misogynism, I gave NorthernSpirit the benefit of the doubt and read this more as a reaction against WHERE the foot went rather than the gender of the person - I wouldn't react too well to a foot in my meat balls either regardless of their gender.....

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
I suppose the "kicking the bag off his feet" reaction could have been because that gives the offender the chance to apologise profusely, and pretend they hadn't realised. If he had said something to her, even if she then removed the bag it would have meant them travelling facing eachother over a not-very-big table with an air of animosity hanging between them.

I won't verbally tackle blokes who sit opposite me and occupy the entire foot space. I just try to wheedle my feet in as best I can, and if he wants to play footsie the ball is in his court, so to speak :lol: .

BestWestern

Established Member
A particuar irritation of mine are those suited types who confuse the meaning of 'quiet carriage' and think it refers to 'a place where everybody else is quiet so that your conference/meeting/general 'bizness' conversation isn't spoiled by the noise of those who are less important than you'...

Last edited:

duncanp

Established Member
A particuar irritation of mine are those suited types who confuse the meaning of 'quiet carriage' and think it refers to 'a place where everybody else is quiet so that your conference/meeting/general 'bizness' conversation isn't spoiled by the noise of those who are less important than you'...

I remember some similar types who were having such a meeting (on a train from Edinburgh to London) and spread some flip charts over the gangway floor, expecting people who were passing through the carriage to step over it.

I didn't, and just trod on the flip chart, resulting in dirty looks from the arrogant little so and sos.

Flamingo

Established Member
I once asked a suit in the Quiet carriage to come off his phone or shift (phrased better than that) to be told "I know it's the Quiet Carriage, that's why I reserved it!".

He then went on to say "This is an important call"
- "Not to me or anybody else in here, please take it outside".

Antman

Established Member

I remember some similar types who were having such a meeting (on a train from Edinburgh to London) and spread some flip charts over the gangway floor, expecting people who were passing through the carriage to step over it.

I didn't, and just trod on the flip chart, resulting in dirty looks from the arrogant little so and sos.

Maybe they had inadvertently dropped them on the carriage floor?

NorthernSpirit

Established Member

To be fair, despite the hint of misogynism, I gave NorthernSpirit the benefit of the doubt and read this more as a reaction against WHERE the foot went rather than the gender of the person - I wouldn't react too well to a foot in my meat balls either regardless of their gender.....

Following on from what Wolfie has said - When I react, I react in one of two ways as it all depends on what has taken place.

One is in a calm way but if someone kicks, is rude, does anything unpleasant or uses threats of violence towards myself then I will react in a way where I could end up punching someone regardless whether they're male or female.

Some may see this as anger problems, others may not. Normally I'm a calm and pleasant person but as I've mentioned above if someone over steps that mark and does anything towards myself, then I'll react in one of the two ways.

paulfoel

I once asked a suit in the Quiet carriage to come off his phone or shift (phrased better than that) to be told "I know it's the Quiet Carriage, that's why I reserved it!".

Sure I posted about this but on a CC train I normally sit in the section right at the front (sometimes its first class bit). Bit quieter in there. Just two 4 tables and 2 pairs of seats (and the two weird facing in seats).

Three people at one of the tables. I sat on opposite one. They had stuff spread on the table and were having a bit of an "involved" conversation it seemed. Train pretty empty no-one else in this section.

So I sat down, woman looks up and says (I cant remember exact words now) "Excuse me - this is a confidential discussion, do you mind?"

At the time, I didnt say anything, I was just a bit bemused as to what she meant and just looked at her to be honest. Afterwards they continued in hushed tones... Well weird that was. Not quite sure if she thought I should leave them alone and let them own this part of the train?

Deepgreen

Established Member
Sure I posted about this but on a CC train I normally sit in the section right at the front (sometimes its first class bit). Bit quieter in there. Just two 4 tables and 2 pairs of seats (and the two weird facing in seats).

Three people at one of the tables. I sat on opposite one. They had stuff spread on the table and were having a bit of an "involved" conversation it seemed. Train pretty empty no-one else in this section.

So I sat down, woman looks up and says (I cant remember exact words now) "Excuse me - this is a confidential discussion, do you mind?"

At the time, I didnt say anything, I was just a bit bemused as to what she meant and just looked at her to be honest. Afterwards they continued in hushed tones... Well weird that was. Not quite sure if she thought I should leave them alone and let them own this part of the train?

"Not at all; please carry on" might be a suitable response.

paulfoel

"Not at all; please carry on" might be a suitable response.

Yes probably. At the time, I was just a bit shocked and took me a minute to determine what she was on about and realise that they expected to have their little area to themselves.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Yes probably. At the time, I was just a bit shocked and took me a minute to determine what she was on about and realise that they expected to have their little area to themselves.

I was being a little facetious - as she clearly wanted you to go away in order to have a private meeting on a public train, my next response would probably have been far less accommodating!

Calthrop

Established Member
On a light-hearted note, and suggested by posts about sub-optimal conduct by passengers concerning their accompanying dogs: I find diverting, a reminiscence by the late J.I.C. Boyd, of a journey by him in a railcar of the County Donegal Railways Joint Committee, from Strabane to Letterkenny in 1939.

“The elderly woman sharing my seat had lost her ticket and without ceremony dumped a small pink piglet wearing a harness on my lap while she searched for it. Luckily it was house-trained and rather beguiling !”

One has to feel that it would have been more polite on the lady’s part, to ask her neighbour to look after her piglet while she got things straightened out. Being charitable: it would be likely enough in that time and place that her first language was Irish, and her command of English not all that good; whereby -- recognising Mr. Boyd, from his appearance, as obviously a “Brit”, and being flustered by the ticket problem – the apposite wording deserted her.

island

Veteran Member

If only that type of situation could be resolved by taking the phone and ejecting it via the nearest droplight...

GodAtum

On Moderation
I always keep my bag off the seat next to me so people can sit down. But one good deed does not get a good deed in return. When I ask to get off the train, the guy moaned at me. I told him next time I'll put my bag on the seat then.

WestCoast

Established Member
I always keep my bag off the seat next to me so people can sit down. But one good deed does not get a good deed in return. When I ask to get off the train, the guy moaned at me. I told him next time I'll put my bag on the seat then.

I too have come across people who seem annoyed to have to let you out of the window seat to alight or go to the toilet. Part of the minority that leave their manners (if they have any) at home!

My pet peeve is people that pay no attention to the fact someone is using the toilet. Instead of knocking or just reading "engaged" and waiting, they furiously try to open the door multiple times. Drives me bonkers.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
My pet peeve is people that pay no attention to the fact someone is using the toilet. Instead of knocking or just reading "engaged" and waiting, they furiously try to open the door multiple times. Drives me bonkers.
To be fair I don't think I've ever encountered an expectation of knocking on a toilet door, and trains have an above average level of stuck doors and broken "engaged" signs.

WestCoast

Established Member
To be fair I don't think I've ever encountered an expectation of knocking on a toilet door, and trains have an above average level of stuck doors and broken "engaged" signs.

Trying the handle once is OK, if it's unclear whether or not the toilet is occupied. However when people keep trying it furiously it annoys the hell out of me. I don't know why, it just does...:p

Deepgreen

Established Member

How did the "moan" manifest itself? Did he actually complain that you had to get off? I have never known this to happen, and, if it did, would probably take him off the train with me!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.