• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passing loops on the 2-track Stoke to Doncaster section of ECML

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilipW

One reads constantly of the lack of capacity on the ECML for both passenger and freight trains. So much so that there are plans to move much freight off the Peterborough to Doncaster section by routing it via Spalding and Lincoln.

With the 2-track Stoke to Doncaster section at the root of the problem, can anyone state what passing loops currently exist on that section including (if any) those at intermediate stations where fast trains can pass those at platforms.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
There's not a lot of loops.

At Grantham, there's staggered loops, one at each end of the station.
There's a staggered Up and Down loop at Claypole
One on the Up at Newark
An Up and Down at Carlton
A Down at Retford (and by using the station) also an Up loop
An Up and a Down at Ranskill lakes

LE Greys

Established Member
Access to the loops is a bit slow, and they are rather short. That means that braking tends to happen on the main line rather than in the loop, which means that goods is a bit slow clearing the line.

furryfeet

I thought that Railtrack were going to assess whether it was worth upgrading the loop layouts so that
a) they could accomodate longer trains
b) trains could enter / leave the loops at higher speeds.

Has anything been done to enact this strategy ?

Tomnick

Established Member
I suspect that the routes into most/all of the loops will be approach controlled from red (so the arriving freight will be braking nearly to a stand well before the loop itself) - am I right to think this? Flashing yellows would help if that's the case, without necessarily increasing the speed into the loop or the length of the loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.