• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pathfinder Tour Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drimnagh Road

Would a Pathfinder / Riviera employee be interested in coming on to explain the high cost of their railtours? I find it interesting that their Oldham Looper tour this Saturday has been caped, as we all know due to lack of bookings.

A class 40 which always sells, pressure vent stock for those who don't like coffins, one of the last opportunities to sample diesel haulage around the Oldham Loop, and some rear track. As the Pathfinder brochure says itself, "something for everybody". Why then was nobody booking on this tour then?

Hmmm, I wonder would the £69 fare have anything to do with it? Last week I done a high mileage tour with Spitfire from Crewe-Swanage, which also offered great traction, pressure vent stock, rear track and yet for a mere £49.00. This was reflected that there was 11 coaches on the train, and a lot of those passengers were normals. Also, its no coincidece that Spitfires series of tours over the Oldham Loop on the same day are selling pretty well, despite having appeared on the web later that Pathfinders.

Even the Western which always sells to near capacity only had 9 coaches on its trip to Blaenau, again would the £69.00 cost have anything to do with this.

The mysterious thing about Pathfinders high prices are that they are owned by Riviera, the same company that provides the stock. Therefore, if anything they should be in a great position to undercut fares, rather than charge the dearest on the system. Other newcomers such as Retro, Joint Line and of course the excellent Compass all do tours for about £45-50, and yet all these promoters are not privellaged to be owned by their rolling stock provider and half to hire coaches from other parties, which adds cost.

All the above mentioned promoters run innovative ideas of getting people onto trains, "book early" fares for example, again nothing of the kind from Pathfinder. Coming up to the tour last Saturday Spitfire, seeing that it had a few seats spare, decided to sell bargain fares as far as Winchester. Again brilliant.

Pathfinder, of Chingfinder to give them their more accurate name, are heading for a near disaster unless they cop on to the fact that there is a recession on and not everybody is prepared to pay ridiculous prices anymore.

Its not just Pathfinder's enthusiasts tours that are dear, even the more straight forward ones are dearer than competitors.

I, living in Ireland, personally do about 10 railtours a year, class 37s mainly. When I first got back into the UK scene in 2007, Pathfinder had a bit of a monopoly I suppose. Now with Spitfire using 37s a lot and even Compass Tours providing my fix of DBS 37s, I avoid Pathfinder indefinitly. I went on the Pathfinder Crewe-Parknasilla trip in May and forked out what was reasonable for Pathfinder-£59-the week after I done the equally long distance Weymouth run with Spitfire for £45.00 with the same type of traction at the helm.

I also am a fan of the Western but again, I refuse to do it because of the price. I think the DTG needs to be careful in its special relationship with Riviera as loadings will fall if prices remain the same.

Again, I'd like to hear Pathfinder / Rivieras side of things. Hopefully somebody can enlighten me.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think partly why Pathfinder is more expensive is that it is run as business to make a profit rather than simply cover costs like Spitfire etc.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
I think partly why Pathfinder is more expensive is that it is run as business to make a profit rather than simply cover costs like Spitfire etc.

I thought that aswell, spifires more of a enthusiasts company like WCR but thats my opinion.

.......the week after I done the equally long distance Weymouth run with Spitfire for £45.00 with the same type of traction at the helm.

Just make mention just shy of £10k for charity too on that job (around £3.5k in open day admission included in this figure;)).

Established Member
Spitfire are cheaper but if you read the booklet on their tours it says about a break even (im not going to go upstars and quote just yet, too lazy cuppa required) so they are lucky to make a profit and they let people pay on the day so yeah I agree spitfire are an enthusiast and daytripper company.

Pathfinder are also an enthusiast tour company, I cant see many daytrippers wanting to go to Toton depot behind a 56/60/47/59 but they also want to make profit off the tours, most of the time its not all that different in price

jonb

Established Member
A group of us regularly do tours, quite a few with Pathfinder and the prices are a little steep I agree. For example 8 of us are booked on the overnight Buffer Puffer around Essex and London in a few weeks at £100 each. Add on to that food, tickets, drink and it's probably going to be over £150 for each of us!

But if you don't want to cough up then don't travel with them - simples!

Established Member
A group of us regularly do tours, quite a few with Pathfinder and the prices are a little steep I agree. For example 8 of us are booked on the overnight Buffer Puffer around Essex and London in a few weeks at £100 each. Add on to that food, tickets, drink and it's probably going to be over £150 for each of us!

But if you don't want to cough up then don't travel with them - simples!

£100 for two buffer puffers is not steep really, the last couple that ran with 37's were £74 each if I remember right so looking at it as £50 per tour its pretty (very?) good value considering these trains load to just 5 coaches plus a stewards viechle, half of what most mainline tours do so it has to be reflected in the cost.

jonb

Established Member
I meant that the tour prices in general are overpriced, not just the Buffer Puffer which is understandably more expensive due to high running costs.

nedchester

Established Member

Compass is a business as well...............

Spitfire are cheaper but if you read the booklet on their tours it says about a break even (im not going to go upstars and quote just yet, too lazy cuppa required) so they are lucky to make a profit and they let people pay on the day so yeah I agree spitfire are an enthusiast and daytripper company.
I think the idea with Spitfire is that the tours that make a profit help subsidize they ones that don't.

Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
Why exactly are the costs of tours so high any way? Even with Spitfire, who are good value in this field, loading up 10 Mk Is to capacity at £50-£60 a head in second class and a good deal more in first is a hell of a lot of revenue.

Imagine a rake of Mk Is, including 5 TSOs and 4 FOs and whatever catering and guard's requirements there might be. This is hardly untypical for a railtour. A typical Spitfire price might be £50 second class and £75 first class. There are 320 second class seats and 192 first class, totalling a maximum revenue of £30,400 if the train is filled.

I was on the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland's Steam Enterprise from Whitehead to Dublin and back (about 130 mile each way, but taking 4 and a half hours southbound due to being hauled by a 130 year old 0-6-0). The train was formed of 5 Mk IIs, one grill/bar car, one TSO, two FOs converted to 2+2 second class seating, and one BSO. Therefore only 201 seats excluding the catering vehicle. This cost £25 a head (obviously no extra revenue from first class here), so a maximum revenue of £5,025. Leaving aside the fact that the RPSI might be being a bit naive in charging so little (the train was sold out a couple of weeks before it ran), clearly someone somewhere in Britain is taking a huge chunk of money from the tour operators to run these tours.

Last edited:

thso1973

Why exactly are the costs of tours so high any way? Even with Spitfire, who are good value in this field, loading up 10 Mk Is to capacity at £50-£60 a head in second class and a good deal more in first is a hell of a lot of revenue.

Imagine a rake of Mk Is, including 5 TSOs and 4 FOs and whatever catering and guard's requirements there might be. This is hardly untypical for a railtour. A typical Spitfire price might be £50 second class and £75 first class. There are 320 second class seats and 192 first class, totalling a maximum revenue of £30,400 if the train is filled.

I was on the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland's Steam Enterprise from Whitehead to Dublin and back (about 130 mile each way, but taking 4 and a half hours southbound due to being hauled by a 130 year old 0-6-0). The train was formed of 5 Mk IIs, one grill/bar car, one TSO, two FOs converted to 2+2 second class seating, and one BSO. Therefore only 201 seats excluding the catering vehicle. This cost £25 a head (obviously no extra revenue from first class here), so a maximum revenue of £5,025. Leaving aside the fact that the RPSI might be being a bit naive in charging so little (the train was sold out a couple of weeks before it ran), clearly someone somewhere in Britain is taking a huge chunk of money from the tour operators to run these tours.

That is an ALMIGHTY big "if"....

4SRKT

Established Member
That is an ALMIGHTY big "if"....

True enough! But nonethless, the theoretical Spitfire tour I described above was making six times the revenue of the RPSI tour I went on. Even if it's only 75-80% full, it's still going to be making 4-5 times the revenue. The question is, what are the real costs of running tours, and how much is just payments to Network Rail and God knows who else? I can only assume the difference is that Northern Ireland Railways and Iarnrod Eireann charge little or nothing to run tours on their metals. Which given that the RPSI think it's worth running a tour for £5K revenue, someone other than the operators is making a whacking great wad out of tours here.

Hey, I've turned into a 'Gateline Assistant', whatever that may be. What mythical mark did I pass to get that honour?

I can think of a few Spitfire tours that have made a loss The Dorset Dumpling being one of them.Like i said earlier all profits made by Spitfire subsidize the ones that don't (except the Wessexman as all profits went to Eastleigh Works charities).Don't forget its not just paying Network Rail and Tocs i expect the taxman wants his slice also.

Established Member
I don't think the question is being made of Spitfire's pricing policy, its that of Pathfinder (2006 version) charging generally £10-20 more for tours which can be very similar. Bristol-Buxton appears pretty similar mileage to Eastleigh-Lincoln, is the extra £20 all going to the DTG for use of D1015?

4SRKT

Established Member
Fair enough. I was only using Spitfire as an example because I'm more familiar with them. My point stands though. If an operator is taking £25,000-£30,000 per tour, and can only break even on that, then what the hell is all the money going on?

have to agree about pathfinders prices, just been looking at there scenic settler tour in December with mixed traction including a pair of Goyles from B'ham, they need to look at people who may be interested in joining the tour at say Crewe and having a reduced price. I just refuse to pay £65 for only half the tour...its just OTT<(

4SRKT

Established Member
have to agree about pathfinders prices, just been looking at there scenic settler tour in December with mixed traction including a pair of Goyles from B'ham, they need to look at people who may be interested in joining the tour at say Crewe and having a reduced price. I just refuse to pay £65 for only half the tour...its just OTT<(

I was interested in that tour, but likewise won't (can't, given the time of year) pay £65 to go Crewe-Carlisle and return. Would also miss out on the shed, which comes off at Birmingham.

Drimnagh Road

Interesting how John Stephens, CFPS Chairman also blames the high cost for the cancellation of the Pathfinder 40 tour in the current issue of Rail Express.

Traditionally, the 40 is a classic example of a loco that always attracts a big crowd of followers. The fact that this tour was cancelled due to lack of bookings prove that no loco is immune from the recession thus Pathfinder need to get their act together.

4SRKT

Established Member
Interesting how John Stephens, CFPS Chairman also blames the high cost for the cancellation of the Pathfinder 40 tour in the current issue of Rail Express.

Traditionally, the 40 is a classic example of a loco that always attracts a big crowd of followers. The fact that this tour was cancelled due to lack of bookings prove that no loco is immune from the recession thus Pathfinder need to get their act together.

Indeed. The fact that it was operating (I understand) on the same day as the Spitfire tour with a kettle and later with a 37 can't have helped either. Especially as the Spitfire was cheaper.

The Pathfinder tour on the 19th December had better not get cancelled as I'm booked on the Harrogate circle mini-tour.

Drimnagh Road

More Pathfinder tours caped due to low bookings:

Both the December 19th (class 40) and December 29th (class 56) tours have been pulled. As of tonight at 18:15 the Pathfinder website hasn't been updated to reflect this, gen from the class 40 website.

The major problem for Pathfinder besides their already documented high prices is that they have got the traction element totally wrong this year.

These two tours for example-along with the class 40 tour caped in October-feature 66 traction for a large part of the trip.

The December 19th trip in particular was just ridiculous, with the 40 only operating the Crewe-Leeds section. What loco enthusiast is going to pay £65.00 for such low mileage behind their favourite loco when the majority of it is with a 66.

Three weeks ago Spitfire ran a tour with my favourite loco, 37s all the way from Coventry-Newcastle for £49, we passed by Crewe and went near Leeds, about three times the mileage of the 40 hauled section that Pathfinder want to charge £60.00 for.

Also, the December 29th trip, I can't imagine 56 bashers been major fans of 66s since it was the latter that got rid of the grids in the first place. Again, what 56 crank from the South West is going to pay £69.00 to be pulled by their favourite loco for half the trip.

Red card again Pathfinder!...

4SRKT

Established Member
Oh. Now I need to find something else to do on 19th December. At least I won't incur any further wrath from the wife, who is becoming a bit sick of me going on railway related stuff, and corrupting the minds of our sons!

theblackwatch

Established Member
According to the Pathfinder site (updated today), both tours are postponed (40 now April 17th 2010, 56 now May 22nd 2010) rather than cancelled. With reference to the thread at http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28227 , it seems the Pathfinder programme for 2010 is taking shape now, full of tours that should have run in 2009!

4SRKT

Established Member
Someone from the CFPS rang me up yesterday to say the tour was cancelled, and that she would shred my cheque. Doesn't sound like I'll be going on it on April 17th!

garnon

On yesterday's Pathfinder tour, many passengers were the proud owners of 25% discount vouchers.

Great you might think ! But as i have spent several hundred pounds with PF this year I wondered what i should do to get one.

Perhaps book later ???

Status
Not open for further replies.