• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paying with Rail Vouchers and debit cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakey1152

Several years ago I tried to purchase a ticket using rail vouchers and my debit card to make up the difference.

However, was told that you can't use rail vouchers and a debit card on the same transaction - I seem to recall that it saw the rail vouchers as a "card" and you couldn't use two cards on a transaction.

Wasn't an issue at the time as I just paid the difference in cash instead

However, When I get my £30 back from SET I'll be purchasing tickets up to Carlisle from Slade Green and was wondering if the same issue with using rail vouchers and debit cards still existed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WillPS

Established Member
Whoever was putting the vouchers through either wasn't doing it properly or wasn't equipped to do it properly. You certainly are able to use both card and RTVs together.

blakey1152

Thank you for the reply!

Sadly, wasn't able to buy my tickets today as in true SET style Slade Green ticket office is closed (when it should be open....)

Ferret

Established Member
Thank you for the reply!

Sadly, wasn't able to buy my tickets today as in true SET style Slade Green ticket office is closed (when it should be open....)

Well, I can tell you it's possible in Avantix too. May have to be done as credit card first, then the RTVs though...

barrykas

Established Member
Well, I can tell you it's possible in Avantix too. May have to be done as credit card first, then the RTVs though...

Should be possible to do it in either order, assuming you enter the RTVs as Warrants (which is essentially what they are). Whether staff know how to do split payments on Avantix is an exercise for the reader though...

Cheers,

Barry

island

Veteran Member

I'd hazard a guess that blakey1152 is looking to buy advances, which you certainly can't do on Avantix.

I have used RTVs plus card to buy tickets at New Eltham station (also SET-run) in the past, so it's definitely possible. SET's machines seem to have awful trouble accepting RTVs though...

LondonJohn

Both SWT in Southampton and Waterloo and SET at Charing Cross have done combined voucher/card transactions.

They have processed the voucher first then the debit card subsquently.

On Chiltern Railways the guy processed the full cost of the fare on the debit card and gave me cash for the voucher (not sure if this is allowed) but I was happy with that !

As an aside, I wonder why no TOC or NR issue Gift Vouchers as I would have thought this would be a popular gift for many people to give and receive. I certainly would like them.

Last edited:

bnm

Established Member
Off topic, but a few weeks back I was offered change from a RTV used onboard.

I knew my tickets would come to less than the value of the RTV and was prepared to lose the difference, but the conductor was going to gave me £2.30 cash change.

Was Christmas, so I let her keep it!

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Now that's something I didn't know. Thanks.

The Vouchers themselves state that "you can use this voucher at any station or rail-appointed Travel Agent" and in East Coast's cover letter "please note that these vouchers cannot be used for on-line bookings". Because of those restrictions on their use, I had assumed that they would similarly not be accepted on-board.

They may be more useful than I had previoisly thought!

GadgetMan

Card part of the transaction is done first on Avantix, I normally then process the voucher through as cash. Never been questioned or pulled up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.