• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pendolino derailment at Greyrigg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
from me and everyone i hope all are ok, and not to badly hurt, my thoughts for the train crew and passengers.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's this train, which was on time, so approx 1 hour ago, must be just north of Oxenholme.

What's the line speed in the area? Would it have been tilting? Sounds like it could be very bad :(

update: 4 carriages on their side :(

pendo1.jpg

Hentis

And as on cue the rolling news stations are stroking themselves to get your pics or video. And then they will start dishing out all the wrong information as they usually do.

Hope no one is seriously hurt.

Cheers

Hentis

T

Tom

Felt like about 110mph when going southbound through that area in August.

The Snap

Established Member
Dear or dear. Apparently, according to eye whitnesses, it "seemed to hit something, jolt, then slide down the side of an embankment" :shock:

BBC News 24 now...

thefab444

Established Member
What happens if this requires the grounding of the entire Pendolino fleet... unlikely I know, but it would be interesting if so.

Also, if it was a tilt failure, again unlikely, could that mean 221s have to be grounded too?

On a more serious note, hope nobody is hurt or scarred by this incident.

Tom B

Established Member
Unfortunately, no doubt the media will begin wild speculation before anything is even established.

Hentis

What happens if this requires the grounding of the entire Pendolino fleet... unlikely I know, but it would be interesting if so.

Also, if it was a tilt failure, again unlikely, could that mean 221s have to be grounded too?

On a more serious note, hope nobody is hurt or scarred by this incident.

I think that Virign and Network Rail will want to find that out as soon ans poosible and will possibly sending some Virgin / NR personel up to speak to the driver if he's not to injured, to try and find out what exactly went wrong. If it is deemed to pull the Pendo fleet on safety ground it would be intresting to see what Viring can conjure up, possibly borrow in some HST sets or an 87 and coach fleet. Or as we heard the BBC's Rail Expert Christian Wolmar it will be utter chaos. As to the point we dont even know what happened then I think its a little hard to see for the time being what will happen.

Cheers

Hentis

Hentis

Unfortunately, no doubt the media will begin wild speculation before anything is even established.

Taken from Sky News website what can I say.... But utter Fantastic,

"Cumbria ambulance service says the train was six carriages long and the second carriage has slipped down an embankment."

Where'd the other 3 go?

Cheers

Hentis

T

Tom

Don't expect to be on one....the whole fleet will probably be withdrawn if anything averse is found!

westcoaster

Established Member
Virgin Trains can confirm that there has been an incident this evening between Oxenholme and Penrith involving the 1715 London Euston to Glasgow service and that emergency services are in attendance.

We will confirm further details as soon as they become available.
from the virgin website

Guinness

Established Member
Let's stick to facts and not add stupid comments like "I hope it happens to all Pendolinos" or anything along those lines....

The Train hit something on the Track according to the BBC so it's unlikely that Tilt had anything to do with it.

Injuries reported but no deaths, thankfully.

mbonwick

Established Member
For the record, the accident occured NORTH of Oxenholme.
It's quite scary as I only live 5 miles from Oxenholme/Kendal.
The WCML has been shut.

And last, but most certainly NOT least, I hope no-one is seriously injured.

Hentis

Not going to well for the virgin brand at the moment.

Virgin Media Vs Rupert Murdoch!!
Virigin Trains vs Gravity!!

It would be intresting to see how well the the contstruction of the train held up.

I was told it was 390033 City of Glasgow.

Cheers

Hentis

Tom B

Established Member
*places admin hat on*

As Chaz pointed out, can we not do the 'wild speculation' and stick to the facts - not extrapolating, what you think might have happened, how all the pendos are going to be withdrawn etc.

*removes admin hat*

Turbostar

Don't the Pendolino's, as with all new trains I believe, have black boxes? If that's the case, they'll be able to identify what the cause was.

Mart

voyagerdude220

Established Member
And last, but most certainly NOT least, I hope no-one is seriously injured.

I off course agee with you, but there again how couldn't you do so?

I'm just hoping that the very strong, well-built body of the Pendo has taken most of the force of the impact/derailment, and that the reports that there hasn't been any fatalities remains so.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Don't the Pendolino's, as with all new trains I believe, have black boxes? If that's the case, they'll be able to identify what the cause was.

Mart

Good question.

I'm sure they have the system which records on the TMS what the driver does e.g. how they use the throttle, brake- basically records every single thing they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.