• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pendolino the wrong way round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mordac

Established Member
For me, worrying about the formation is the most stressful part of any journey I make (as described in a trip report from last year). Given that they manage only 17 stations, sending the needed info to each station should not be rocket science...

They stop at a few more stations than they manage, though!

boxy321

How about painting a mark on the front of the train at the first class end, as was done by BR on some units. At least then the regulars would get a couple of hundred yards warning to start heading up or down the platform.

Or a discrete flashing light - it takes ages fro a 390 to get into New St.:D

duffield

Established Member
How about painting a mark on the front of the train at the first class end, as was done by BR on some units. At least then the regulars would get a couple of hundred yards warning to start heading up or down the platform.

The EMT class 222's (Meridians) have the bar on the auto-coupler painted yellow at the first class end and plain at the other end.

keith1879

I have been sworn at by a Virgin guard while running from one end of Warrington BQ to the other to get on a Full & Standing train - I replied that I was only trying to board my coach where their own system had told me to stand, if it was at the other end of the train that was hardly my fault!

I hope that he referred to you as "Buddy" while telling you to ****ing get a move on. This would of course have made the whole experience more acceptable.

ag51ruk

The EMT class 222's (Meridians) have the bar on the auto-coupler painted yellow at the first class end and plain at the other end.

As do all Voyagers (whether Virgin or XC) - when it was added, Virgin said that they wouldn't do the same on Pendolinos because they were less likely to be in reverse formation than the Voyagers (which were all operated byvVirgin at that time, so subject to regular reversals en route at New Street, Reading, etc). I think the TPE 185s have the yellow marking on the coupler as well?

smudga331

Every week night on the GEML at Manningtree there is 5A96, an ECS working from Ipswich - Harwich International Sidings (Parkeston H.S.) that goes into Manningtree Pl. 2 and then the driver changes ends to head down to Harwich International instead of using the Ipswich - Harwich curve (I'm not sure if this is what it's called but it's like a Manningtree avoider line). This is to keep the 321's in the correct formation ready for the early morning service to London Liverpool Street the following day.

I personally cant really see any problems with this 390 being the wrong way round. I dont think it will really inconvinience any passengers. Im sure the majority of passengers wont know where 1st class or std class is before boarding the train anyway.

I imagine this does probably happen a lot. A few days ago i came across a 442 which was the wrong way round. Normally the 1st class should be in the south end of the middle (3rd) coach but this time it was in the north end of the middle (3rd) coach instead.

Flying Snail

Established Member
I personally cant really see any problems with this 390 being the wrong way round. I dont think it will really inconvinience any passengers. Im sure the majority of passengers wont know where 1st class or std class is before boarding the train anyway.

I imagine this does probably happen a lot. A few days ago i came across a 442 which was the wrong way round. Normally the 1st class should be in the south end of the middle (3rd) coach but this time it was in the north end of the middle (3rd) coach instead.

Maybe my sarcasm detector is broken but are you really comparing a 442 with 1st at a different end of the same coach with a 11 car pendo where a coach can be 250 metres away from it's usual position?

Yes, it does cause an issue because like a previous poster many passengers will walk down the platform to board their preferred coach casing a delayed departure rather than board the nearest door and sort themselves out on board.

cf111

Established Member

They can be 11 coaches long!

I'm not sure how many people would know but for as long as I've been using the railways first class has always been at the "London end" of any train.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They can be 11 coaches long!

I'm not sure how many people would know but for as long as I've been using the railways first class has always been at the "London end" of any train.

On IC yes, on regional/commuter services it varies. On the LM 350s it's in one of the middle two coaches (and they can be either way round), on the old 321s it was at the *country* end of each unit (which, at platforms 8 and 11, made it closer to the barrier than at the back, as the platforms extend back to the top of the ramp), while the 319 formations seem to vary.

TBH I don't mind what it is provided the platform displays are correct.

LeylandLen

In the past I have been on the 2230 or 2330 Eus to Wolves via New Street which has reversed at NS to go around Birmingham (because of engineering work on direct route via Tipton )Perry Bar and Bescot therefore arriving at Wolverhampton 'the wrong way round' before heading off north to Oxley .(Alstom).My rail atlas indicates there is a single line north from Oxley to Bushbury Junction where they can , if needed turn the Pendelino again so its correct way round for the tdays services south from Wolverhampton .

Last edited:

cyclebytrain

Suppose a passenger was travelling with a bicycle? That passenger is now 1/4 Km away from where they need to be. Assuming a walking speed of 1.4 m/s (3 mph) that's nearly two minutes to get to the other end of the train.

So a Pendo unexpectedly arriving in reverse would be delayed by two minutes. If it happens at two stations, that's four minutes delay for every passenger on the train...

IrishDave

My rail atlas indicates there is a single line north from Oxley to Bushbury Junction where they can , if needed turn the Pendelino again so its correct way round for the tdays services south from Wolverhampton .

Unfortunately the Oxley chord isn't wired, so it wouldn't be any good for turning Pendolinos, though I guess they could use it for Voyagers (assuming crews signed the route). Instead, when a unit has needed turning, I have seen Virgin run a Wolverhampton-Wolverhampton ECS move via Galton Jn-Soho N-E-Perry Barr W-N-Bescot-Portobello.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Anytime I travel from my local station which is Martins Heron on the Reading - London Waterloo, it always mentions as part of the PA announcements the length of the train whether it is 4, 5 or 8 cars.

If South West Trains can have their PA systems be able to tell passengers prior to the arrival of the train as to how many coaches the train has, then as stated previously in this thread why cannot this be done with the VWC PA system?

There is a difference. SWT run trains in fixed formations. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12 cars based on unit type and diagram. The CIS is programmed for the expected diagrams which have a set number of units of specific type. It won't tell you if the unit or units are the wrong way round which affects where First Class is.

LeylandLen

Unfortunately the Oxley chord isn't wired, so it wouldn't be any good for turning Pendolinos, though I guess they could use it for Voyagers (assuming crews signed the route). Instead, when a unit has needed turning, I have seen Virgin run a Wolverhampton-Wolverhampton ECS move via Galton Jn-Soho N-E-Perry Barr W-N-Bescot-Portobello.

Silly me, assuming the Oxley Chord is wired , connecting: the place where electric 390s are serviced to the main line !:)

ChrisHogan

Suppose a passenger was travelling with a bicycle? That passenger is now 1/4 Km away from where they need to be. Assuming a walking speed of 1.4 m/s (3 mph) that's nearly two minutes to get to the other end of the train.

So a Pendo unexpectedly arriving in reverse would be delayed by two minutes. If it happens at two stations, that's four minutes delay for every passenger on the train...

Network Rail are a culprit here. The number of times trains arrive from Scotland or Manchester (0627 departure) at New Street either the wrong way round and not announced, or announced the wrong way round and arrive in correct formation.
This Thursday the Voyager from Shrewsbury for the 0750 was announced as 5 vice 10 but arrived with the booked double sets.
A scrum on narrow platforms ensues.
Virgin stations usually seem to know which way round their trains are.

Muzer

Established Member
There is a difference. SWT run trains in fixed formations. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12 cars based on unit type and diagram. The CIS is programmed for the expected diagrams which have a set number of units of specific type. It won't tell you if the unit or units are the wrong way round which affects where First Class is.
Yes it will. Possibly not on that line but I've certainly heard those announcements WRT first class on trains on other SWT routes, and on FGW routes.

boxy321

So the poor sods waiting at the end for coach A (quite zone) find themselves climbing on to be greeted by the kitchen and big blue seats with hankies on the back. Do you risk getting off or walk through all 11 coaches while people are stowing their luggage and faffing about/sitting by the bogs in the doorways etc?

AndrewE

Established Member
So the poor sods waiting at the end for coach A (quite zone) find themselves climbing on to be greeted by the kitchen and big blue seats with hankies on the back. Do you risk getting off or walk through all 11 coaches while people are stowing their luggage and faffing about/sitting by the bogs in the doorways etc?
There is no doubt that trains are delayed by the operating companies not updating passengers on the platforms.
What if you are waiting in the right place to get on at one end of a long train with a bike?
And if it's a poxy Voyager (worse, double Voyager), full and standing, and your ticket is only valid in a specific seat what would you do? (I would just get in, stand for a short hop and assume that the guard won't dare try to check the tickets, let alone the reservations.)
If it was a longer journey I would run down the platform towards my coach, jump in as close as possible at the last moment, fight my way through and then change to the other set at the next station if necessary.

My apology to the people I was pushing past would finish with the words "It will all be better when it is privatised."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.