• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pensioner against feet on seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Could well have been in another carriage on revenue protection or other duties? It looks like this happened quite quickly, and unless the guard happened to be in that carriage it's unlikely they would have had much opportunity to get involved.

What so no passengers alerted the guard as to what had happened, and it was all "hush hush" to Manchester giving the guy the opportunity to slip off unchallenged by anybody?

I find that hard to believe.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
What so no passengers alerted the guard as to what had happened, and it was all "hush hush" to Manchester giving the guy the opportunity to slip off unchallenged by anybody?

I find that hard to believe.

I don't. People are quite happy to stand back in these situations, here's just one instance (verbal rather than physical abuse in this case, but the point stands).

Irqa Mohamed, 20, said 'crazed man' launched racist rant against her... She said passengers on the bus in Islington did nothing and 'some smiled'

(Daily Heil, so take it with a pinch of salt, but there's been plenty of similar instances).

Although I'd also like to emphasise that I was not there, and that I was only giving a reasonable argument as to why the guard may not have been involved.

bramling

Veteran Member
22 pages in and not one of you has asked "Where was the guard"?

I note with no surprise that this was a Northern service. As it quite often the case on said TOC, both now and under the previous franchisee, a lot of Northern guards show little presence, hiding in the back and appearing after some inaudible one word announcement (e.g. Ou'wood for Outwood) to open the doors. After departure it's back in the rear facing cab.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that ALL Northern guards do this. There are some great guards who work for Northern, but sadly a lot can't be bothered. It's not great for the travelling public who PAY for a SERVICE.

I'm not condoning the lengths this guy went to, it was way over the top, but there are far too many scrotes travelling on public transport who have the "I'm alright Jack" attitude. Doesn't the railway have byelaws over certain things like feet on seats, littering, loud music, etc?

If you're lucky enough to have a job on the trains then surely customer interaction should play a big part of your job, including dealing with anti-social behaviour. I'm not saying you should put your lives at risk, but a few words with your passengers who "assume" it's OK to behave in a way that is antisocial to most may allievate the chances of some p*ssed off passenger dealing with this themselves.

Regarding duty of care, well from what I've learned tonight, I'm assuming the next time I go out, all I have to do is get myself ejected from a licensed premises that is "bouncerised" and due to their duty of care AFTER I've left, I will expect to be put in a free taxi home.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In addition to my last post, surely the guard will be asked where he was during this incident?

Can I make the point that it looks like the incident took place in a class 153. It's very common for formations on the Manchester-Clitheroe route to be formed 150/1+153. So it's quite possible the guard was in the other unit, with no gangway connection. Furthermore, it has been posted on here in the past that Northern have a policy that the guard should remain in the rear unit in a non-gangwayed formation.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I think all sides have had enough opportunities to put their arguments across.

Status
Not open for further replies.