• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Petrol panic buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is this still going on or have we passed through this issue now?
I filled up without any problems today and everything seems to be getting back to normal in my neck of the woods.
I don’t want to be heavy handed but a thread like this can end up drifting in all sorts of directions once a problem is done and dusted so I wouldn’t mind closing it, but I won’t do that if people are still having genuine problems.
Could you post if you are please? If not then I think we’ll wrap it up (with a brimmed tank and a full Gerry Can stashed in the garage obviously).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelayRepay

Established Member
I filled up without any problems today and everything seems to be getting back to normal in my neck of the woods.
I don’t want to be heavy handed but a thread like this can end up drifting in all sorts of directions once a problem is done and dusted so I wouldn’t mind closing it, but I won’t do that if people are still having genuine problems.
Could you post if you are please? If not then I think we’ll wrap it up (with a brimmed tank and a full Gerry Can stashed in the garage obviously).

We seem to be over the worse of it here. Local Facebook has reverted to the usual subjects of dog mess and bins not being emptied.

duncanp

Established Member
The Matt Cartoon in The Telegraph today is quite amusing, commenting on petrol pumps being reserved for NHS staff, and the difficulties involved in getting a GP appointment. :D :D

Matt Cartoon - October 1st 2021.jpg

Typhoon

Established Member
I suspect the fuel shortage due to panic buying the sudden purchase of stocks with the anticipation of disaster has not ceased.

From StagecoachSE's twitter feed:

@StagecoachSE
·

1h

#Sandwich Due to people panic buying fuel we are unable to serve Dover Rd and St Barts Rd, all 80 and 43 services will divert via Ash Road and the 81's will use Woodnesborough Rd and Moat Sole for the Guildhall.

@StagecoachSE
·
1h

#THANET #CANTERBURY - Due to cars queueing for petrol the 06:55Hrs Route 11 from Westwood to Canterbury is running 20 minutes late. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

@StagecoachSE
·
1h

#Folkestone. Due to people queuing for fuel the 102 service will not be serving Tram Road to #Dover and will be using Dover Road instead.
I did not look in any depth, there might be more but three out of four consecutive tweets concern diversions caused by queues at garages (I left a cancellation out, marked by ....). I'm not surprised, both garages I passed yesterday had no fuel.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I suspect the fuel shortage due to panic buying the sudden purchase of stocks with the anticipation of disaster has not ceased.

From StagecoachSE's twitter feed:

I did not look in any depth, there might be more but three out of four consecutive tweets concern diversions caused by queues at garages (I left a cancellation out, marked by ....). I'm not surprised, both garages I passed yesterday had no fuel.

Looks like we might need this thread for a little while longer then. :)

Peter Sarf

Established Member
So, what should I have done? Last Thursday, on holiday in Dorset. Visited Swanage for the day. Had 200 miles, or just under half a tank left. Plenty to get us home and then fill up the next time I needed to go out.

Didn't fill up on the Thursday as no need. Saw the news Thursday night, so thought ok, I'll get some on Friday morning. Saw the queue at Blandford Forum Tesco so with 2yr old in tow decided to head off. Now light is on and I need to wait until all the "panic" buyers are done and my local garages have fuel available.

I normally fill up when guage is down to 1/4 left (or approx 100 miles), but due to the idiocy of others, I'm now well below that and need to fill up before the end of next week as heading to Longleat.
I feared I was going to get caught out waiting too long for it to ease off. When I heard they were going to restrict people to £30 a visit I decided it was time to think of myself and fill up prematurely. I usually fill up at around 1/4 tank left unless about to head off on a long journey. Long journey coming up. Meanwhile I have restricted my driving completely - much to the displeasure of SWMBO.
When you get there you could always Put a Tiger in your Tank. (One for the oldies.)
Boom Boom (boom boom - Esso Blue).
Very much still an issue - maybe getting better, maybe getting worse. From where I stay I can hear the car and lorry horns on the A23 where it crosses the A232 ("Five Ways"). The petrol station there has generated long enough queues (and jumpers) to grid lock this important junction. Also been a queue down the wrong side of the road - I kid you not. All was quiet on Tuesday 28/09/2021 so I walked down the A23 to have a look. As I feared the queues had gone because all fuel had run out. Deliery due that night. So Wednesday morning (panicked by the threat of a £30 limit) I fired up the car and joined the queue - took about 30 minutes. Had an idiot trying to queue jump just behind me who was blocking the only lane across the junction. I saw the lights go green three times before I could edge forward to get him/her out of the way. Since then the mayhem sounds like it has continued and I noticed yesterday they have now run out of Diesel again already.

I would say the £30 limit is stupid as there cannot be many early panic buyers left who can get £30 in their car. They will now be topping up as regularly as they did in normal times and are now not taking more fuel than they usually did on each visit, just going from nearly full to full instead of very nearly empty to fairly empty. It will only punish the people like me who declined to panic in the first place and wanted to wait until their normal stage to fill up. I have learn't my lesson and will aim to stay above 3/4 for the foreseeable future.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I feared I was going to get caught out waiting too long for it to ease off. When I heard they were going to restrict people to £30 a visit I decided it was time to think of myself and fill up prematurely. I usually fill up at around 1/4 tank left unless about to head off on a long journey. Long journey coming up. Meanwhile I have restricted my driving completely - much to the displeasure of SWMBO.

Boom Boom (boom boom - Esso Blue).

Very much still an issue - maybe getting better, maybe getting worse. From where I stay I can hear the car and lorry horns on the A23 where it crosses the A232 ("Five Ways"). The petrol station there has generated long enough queues (and jumpers) to grid lock this important junction. Also been a queue down the wrong side of the road - I kid you not. All was quiet on Tuesday 28/09/2021 so I walked down the A23 to have a look. As I feared the queues had gone because all fuel had run out. Deliery due that night. So Wednesday morning (panicked by the threat of a £30 limit) I fired up the car and joined the queue - took about 30 minutes. Had an idiot trying to queue jump just behind me who was blocking the only lane across the junction. I saw the lights go green three times before I could edge forward to get him/her out of the way. Since then the mayhem sounds like it has continued and I noticed yesterday they have now run out of Diesel again already.

I would say the £30 limit is stupid as there cannot be many early panic buyers left who can get £30 in their car. They will now be topping up as regularly as they did in normal times and are now not taking more fuel than they usually did on each visit, just going from nearly full to full instead of very nearly empty to fairly empty. It will only punish the people like me who declined to panic in the first place and wanted to wait until their normal stage to fill up. I have learn't my lesson and will aim to stay above 3/4 for the foreseeable future.

A limit is stupid. Let people do a full fill up, as those filling up now probably need it (they drive long distances, drive all day etc). The panic buyers brought their cars out of the garage, dusted them off, and have now put them back.

If we could stop people filling up beyond their vehicle, that would stop the problem (but as we discussed before; how do we police it?). Don't let people open their boot and fill up loads of jerry cans, or whatever else they bring and think they can use. Besides the safety impact, many of these people are subsequently selling on the fuel and trying to profit. If they succeed, they'll continue to do it.

I waited until I had no choice but to fill up (light on, miles remaining went to '--') and fortunately the BP, besides having jacked up its prices, allowed fill ups with no limit. However, people were filling huge metal cans with fuel, so obviously that not only leads to queues taking longer to clear (the time taken to keep filling and moving loads of cans) but also means they'll run out that bit quicker and force the petrol station to close.

I've not seen any now, but on Monday there were cars pushed onto pavements where they'd clearly run out of fuel and abandoned their vehicles.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just been to my local Tesco to fill up. Only 3 or 4 cars in the queue so not really any busier than normal. A few of the pumps out of service.

Ted633

It seems to be the south east where there is still an issue. Majority of fuel stations here in Surrey do now seem to be open, but there are still large queues. The media seem to have got bored with it as there is not a mention of fuel shortages on the BBC homepage, so that should help the situation.

All the local filling stations near us, have been closed for several days, with a few deliveries to Sainsbury’s and Tesco, that resulted in long queues and running out within the day.

On Tuesday morning, I was at the gym, when the PT’s wife left the gym office to pop off to Tesco’s to buy a few things.
She returned about 20 minutes later and said the Tesco filling station was open and she managed to fill up, while she was there.
She only queued, on the forecourt itself, for a few minutes behind a few cars and was in and out in 5 or 10 minutes.

When my gym session ended, about half an hour later, I drove over to the same Tesco’s only to find I couldn’t get anywhere near the place, due to a long queue stretching for what must be over a quarter mile down the road.
The queue was completely blocking the road going in that direction, with no way of overtaking it to get past.
I turned around before I got stuck and went straight home.
No queue to a long queue in half an hour.
Social media at work again!
Any news on fuel availability has spread round here like wildfire.

On Wednesday lunchtime, I was on my way to B&Q when I spotted a short queue at the local BP fill station.
They had been closed earlier on.
I just reacted and joined the back of the queue, almost without having a chance to think about it.
Maybe that’s what other people have been doing?
Although on half a tank, plenty for two or three week’s needs under normal conditions, we have to make a long trip this coming weekend, to visit my elderly mother-in-law in Kent. So we needed a full tank.
The queue moved fairly quickly and staff were regulating entry into the filling station forecourt, asking what grade of fuel you were after and directing you into each lane accordingly.
It was very well organised.

I drew the short straw though, as I was directed to follow a small, Ford Transit sized, mini skip truck.
He was next and I waited in line behind him.
When it was his turn, the skip truck driver seemed to take bl**dy ages to fill up with diesel.
God knows how big his tank was?
Then he waddled off to pay and didn’t come back.
I just knew that he was probably in the shop, buying stuff, instead of paying and moving on.
Drivers of vehicles in the adjacent lanes were filling up, going in to pay (no pay at the pump at this site) and driving off, while I waited for this fat git to come back to his truck.
After what seemed like ages, he finally reappeared and confirmed my suspicion, being loaded up with food, snacks and cans of coke.
What a tw**.
People queuing down the road, some of who may have been worried or even desperate to ensure they had enough fuel to get to work, or support elderly relatives..or a whole host of genuine reasons…and this selfish blob probably couldn’t have given a toss.

Typhoon

Established Member
All the local filling stations near us, have been closed for several days, with a few deliveries to Sainsbury’s and Tesco, that resulted in long queues and running out within the day.

On Tuesday morning, I was at the gym, when the PT’s wife left the gym office to pop off to Tesco’s to buy a few things.
She returned about 20 minutes later and said the Tesco filling station was open and she managed to fill up, while she was there.
She only queued, on the forecourt itself, for a few minutes behind a few cars and was in and out in 5 or 10 minutes.

When my gym session ended, about half an hour later, I drove over to the same Tesco’s only to find I couldn’t get anywhere near the place, due to a long queue stretching for what must be over a quarter mile down the road.
The queue was completely blocking the road going in that direction, with no way of overtaking it to get past.
I turned around before I got stuck and went straight home.
No queue to a long queue in half an hour.
Social media at work again!
Any news on fuel availability has spread round here like wildfire.

On Wednesday lunchtime, I was on my way to B&Q when I spotted a short queue at the local BP fill station.
They had been closed earlier on.
I just reacted and joined the back of the queue, almost without having a chance to think about it.
Maybe that’s what other people have been doing?
Although on half a tank, plenty for two or three week’s needs under normal conditions, we have to make a long trip this coming weekend, to visit my elderly mother-in-law in Kent. So we needed a full tank.
The queue moved fairly quickly and staff were regulating entry into the filling station forecourt, asking what grade of fuel you were after and directing you into each lane accordingly.
It was very well organised.

I drew the short straw though, as I was directed to follow a small, Ford Transit sized, mini skip truck.
He was next and I waited in line behind him.
When it was his turn, the skip truck driver seemed to take bl**dy ages to fill up with diesel.
God knows how big his tank was?
Then he waddled off to pay and didn’t come back.
I just knew that he was probably in the shop, buying stuff, instead of paying and moving on.
Drivers of vehicles in the adjacent lanes were filling up, going in to pay (no pay at the pump at this site) and driving off, while I waited for this fat git to come back to his truck.
After what seemed like ages, he finally reappeared and confirmed my suspicion, being loaded up with food, snacks and cans of coke.
What a tw**.
People queuing down the road, some of who may have been worried or even desperate to ensure they had enough fuel to get to work, or support elderly relatives..or a whole host of genuine reasons…and this selfish blob probably couldn’t have given a toss.

Unfortunately, the Petrol Station probably made more out of the 'selfish blob' stocking up with colesterol than it did out of you filling up!

Unfortunately, the Petrol Station probably made more out of the 'selfish blob' stocking up with colesterol than it did out of you filling up!

You’re probably right.
Mind you, they only had premium diesel and premium unleaded available.
Suprise suprise.
Diesel was £1.51 a litre.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You’re probably right.
Mind you, they only had premium diesel and premium unleaded available.
Suprise suprise.
Diesel was £1.51 a litre.

In answer to your question on the Transits tank size my old Sprinter took getting on for £110 to fill it to the brim so probably not far off that.

gswindale

So there was only one fuel station you could go to on Friday?
Only recall seeing one between where we were staying (Higher Ansty) and where we were heading to (Furzey Gardens) in the morning (which was Tesco in Blandford Forum). If I'd have seen another one that was open with no queue, then I'd probably have stopped.

Rest of the journey was on the motorway and the intention was to allow the little one to have his nap whilst travelling (once in the car he is likely to fall asleep, but then wake up pretty much as soon as we stop, so not a good idea to stop at a service station when he is likely to wake up and then want to get out!)

With the little one in the car, we have to make a decision based on fuel needs & his requirements - and generally he wins out - he was already getting restless before we reached our lunchtime destination. If I'd have passed any other petrol stations, that would have added to the journey time and made him more grouchy, as you can't let a 2 year old run round a Petrol station to stretch his legs!

RichJF

There’s still massive gridlock in SE London caused by huge filling station queues.
A couple of garages have opened on the Sussex/Surrey border & it's gridlock on the Crawley - East Grinstead road. It's been like this nearly 24/7 since last Thursday.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Last time I filled up was two months ago and still got over half a tank left - done bugger all mileage recently and a good job too I guess.

I caught the train to London Euston today and the M1 was still at post-pandemic levels when the train zoomed past so I guess people are still using their cars

duncanp

Established Member
The petrol station next door to me (Birmingham/Smethwick border) has had fuel for the past few days, and there are no queues.

Some papers are saying that London & the South East is the worst area for fuel shortages.

ChrisC

Established Member
The petrol station next door to me (Birmingham/Smethwick border) has had fuel for the past few days, and there are no queues.

Some papers are saying that London & the South East is the worst area for fuel shortages.
No queues at a large Tesco in Nottinghamshire this morning. Very quiet with no more than half a dozen cars there.

Didn’t this all begin with just a small number of BP petrol stations in London and the South East running out of fuel. If the media had not reported this, perhaps the rest of the country would not have known anything about it. So much unnecessary disruption through panic buying.

Typhoon

Established Member
No queues at a large Tesco in Nottinghamshire this morning. Very quiet with no more than half a dozen cars there.

Didn’t this all begin with just a small number of BP petrol stations in London and the South East running out of fuel. If the media had not reported this, perhaps the rest of the country would not have known anything about it. So much unnecessary disruption through panic buying.
if the shortage had been in, say, the northern conurbations, it would have been bottom of page 12/ 20 minutes in on the news. At a driver changeover today, the driver being replaced was apologising for his lateness, queues at petrol stations so it will still be on the regional news. The PM is fortunate that his Conference is not in Brighton!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If the media had not reported this, perhaps the rest of the country would not have known anything about it. So much unnecessary disruption through panic buying.
I don't think there is any perhaps about it! I agree.

Silver Cobra

Still plenty of queueing for fuel going on in my local area. At around 10am today, a queue of at least 20 cars had formed for the Jet petrol station just off the town centre here in Shefford (the queue blocking up the junction for the big supermarket and industrial estate in the town centre), and over in Biggleswade at around 11:30am a queue of at least 30 cars was lined approaching the BP station at the bottom end of town. Granted, in the case of Biggleswade, not everyone in the queue wanted fuel, as several cars ended up turning around in various driveways to head away from the queue and find another route out of town. Nevertheless, the fact this is still going on around here is rather troubling.

PeterC

Established Member
I haven't used the car since Monday but our local bus companies in Bucks are still tweeting about hold ups due to queuing traffic in various parts of the county.

I can get by without using the car for a week but will then need a full tank for a weekend away.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Still plenty of queueing for fuel going on in my local area. At around 10am today, a queue of at least 20 cars had formed for the Jet petrol station just off the town centre here in Shefford (the queue blocking up the junction for the big supermarket and industrial estate in the town centre)

That better be sorted in the morning when I’m cycling through. Don’t want it to affect my average speed!

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Passed six petrol stations en route to work yesterday: Three were closed with no fuel, the other three only had diesel left.

Coming home at midnight, I passed five that were completely out, which was a problem as I was nearly out. Eventually filled up at Tesco Hendon Way after queuing for an hour, and got home at around 2am.

Heading into work today, Waze routed me away from the A406 due to traffic queuing for both the BP and Tesco at Colney Hatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.