• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Petrol panic buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The latest is that things are improving but it seems to be affecting independent retailers more than the big chains, and it can vary by region:

The RAC motoring group has said the fuel shortage problem continues to ease, although many areas of the UK are still suffering supply issues.
Speaking on the BBC's Today programme, policing minister Kit Malthouse said: "My latest briefing is that the situation is stabilising, that we are seeing more forecourts with a greater supply of fuel and hopefully that, as demand and supply come better into balance over the next few days, week or so, that we will see a return to normality."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I’ve just been on a short drive and the three closest petrol stations to me now all have no fuel! Thankfully I’ve got more than half a tank.

londiscape

There's one filling station in South London I've had cause to walk past regularly over the last couple of weeks and has always been closed with a "No Fuel" sign, most recently this morning.

It abuts onto the A214 which in this part of London is only one lane in each direction and typically a very busy road - it occurred to me that any queues would essentially gridlock the whole area. Wondered if they'd been asked/forced to remain closed by the police, council or TfL (I think it's a red route) even if they could have had fuel deliveries, just to stop the queuing?

Pure speculation I know... :)

reddragon

Established Member
All of my local petrol stations are dry. There are active social media groups hunting down deliveries. One company I know has scouts out, reporting back so all of their vans can get fuelled up first en-mass.

The panic continues and I laugh in my EV :)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Meanwhile, some people can’t tell the difference between a fuel tanker and a cement tanker...

A tanker driver has told how he was tailed by about 20 drivers who were dismayed to discover he was not transporting petrol.
Johnny Anderson, who drives for Weaver Haulage, was transporting 44 tonnes of mortar from Bilston, Wolverhampton, to a building site in Northamptonshire.

Last edited by a moderator:

pnepaul

Here in Workington, I went to Morrisons, not for fuel :lol: ; only 4 cars on the forecourt.

Talking to a friend who went to another local garage, he was the only customer.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This is so hit and miss isn’t it?
One day everything seems fine and the next day there’s a queue right down the road causing chaos…

MattRat

On Moderation
The latest is that things are improving but it seems to be affecting independent retailers more than the big chains, and it can vary by region:

So not only are the big oil companies making bank, their competition is also being removed.....

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Getting to the point that I need fuel now. Thought I would be really clever and go at 2200 and fill up. Easy? No.

These petrol stations are all within 5/10 minutes drive from my house and routinely open at 22:00 on a Friday evening:

Asda: Closed
Tesco: Closed
4 x BP Closed
1 x Shell: Closed
1 x Esso: Has fuel. No diesel. FFS

davehsug

9am Morrisons Stoke this morning. Went for the weekly shop but no queues, straight to the pump & filled up. We were very low, but would probably have lasted another week.

brad465

Established Member
Sounds like the military are officially going to be involved in deliveries from Monday, with a small number of foreign tanker drivers permitted to work here till the end of March; this isn't over for a while it seems:

Armed forces personnel will begin delivering petrol to garages across the UK from Monday, the government says.
Almost 200 servicemen and women, 100 of them drivers, will provide "temporary" support to ease pressure on stations.
Ministers have also announced that up to 300 overseas fuel tanker drivers will be able to work in the UK immediately until the end of March.
There have been long queues at petrol stations this week after a shortage of drivers disrupted fuel deliveries.

Ministers - who have maintained there is enough fuel if people buy at their normal rates - say the situation at petrol station forecourts is improving, with more fuel now being delivered than sold.
But they acknowledge some parts of the country are worse affected than others.
On Friday, the RAC motoring group also said the disruption in deliveries was continuing to ease, though many areas were still experiencing supply issues.
Smaller fuel stations were facing major supply problems as drivers filled up for the weekend, it said.
The Petrol Retailers Association, which represents nearly 5,500 of the UK's 8,300 petrol stations, said on Friday there had been little change for its members who are independent fuel retailers.
Its survey of 1,100 sites across the UK found that 26% had neither petrol nor diesel in stock, down slightly from 27% on Thursday.

the sniper

Established Member
Drove past that Asda again, had petrol, diesel and no queues but a constant stream of cars, around 9pm. Bizarre, as I've passed plenty of places that had no fuel. The trunk road Shell stations I saw that had fuel were charging £1.48 for Diesel, 15p more than the Asda 20 minutes down the road... I've not noticed any particularly noteworthy queues at the ones that do have fuel though.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Done a lot of motor way miles today. Number of tankers seen: 1.

It was carrying compressed gas. FFS.

(Obviously that is incredibly anecdotal.)

gswindale

Went out around 9 this evening.
Sainsbury's closed
Shell closed
Esso closed
2* BP closed
1 BP petrol only.

So now have 1 car fully filled and 1 almost empty!

Can at least get through the next week, but hopefully will be able to fill the other car up before we head off to Longleat.

XAM2175

Established Member
Didn’t this all begin with just a small number of BP petrol stations in London and the South East running out of fuel. If the media had not reported this, perhaps the rest of the country would not have known anything about it. So much unnecessary disruption through panic buying.

With Facebook and Twitter being what they are today I'm not entirely sure it wouldn't have got out anyway.

Of course in simpler times, before we had rights and all that, a suitably perceptive government could have just discretely fired out a new D-notice and that would have been the end of it.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Getting to the point that I need fuel now. Thought I would be really clever and go at 2200 and fill up. Easy? No.

These petrol stations are all within 5/10 minutes drive from my house and routinely open at 22:00 on a Friday evening:

Asda: Closed
Tesco: Closed
4 x BP Closed
1 x Shell: Closed
1 x Esso: Has fuel. No diesel. FFS

Blimey that’s not a good situation. I’ve tried not to purchase any more than I’ve needed (sounds like you haven’t either).
Hope you get things sorted soon.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I remember Tony Blair proclaiming that "everything is now in place to get the tankers moving again" during the 2000 fuel crisis. Guess what, after he said that nothing happened!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Blimey that’s not a good situation. I’ve tried not to purchase any more than I’ve needed (sounds like you haven’t either).
Hope you get things sorted soon.
I had half a tank but had to use some today delivering a family member to university and have the same to do tomorrow. Tomorrow is looking touch and go now!

OhNoAPacer

We just happened to be passing a nearby garage this afternoon, they had a sign saying diesel only, which was handy for us having a diesel vehicle. When we went past about 1.5 to 2 hours later tgevsign said no fuel.

Typhoon

Established Member
It is clear from the posts above and from tweets from StagecoachSE (more like those in #427 amongst the cancellations due to driver shortages) that the situation has not returned to normal. The PM spoke of the situation 'stabilising'; anyone who has had a relative or friend suddenly admitted to hospital knows exactly what that term means (as does Johnson). He also knows that the measures that have been introduced are token ones. He'll pop up to Manchester* for a couple of days of Labour (and Europe) bashing and elbow touching, then back down the bunker 'preparing for Copt26' until supply starts to return to normal.

* - opportunity for a photo-op; they will scout out a filling station with fuel, they'll probably have him filling up the car of some nice old lady, big smile on her face, while holding back other customers.

Dai Corner

Established Member
It is clear from the posts above and from tweets from StagecoachSE (more like those in #427 amongst the cancellations due to driver shortages) that the situation has not returned to normal. The PM spoke of the situation 'stabilising'; anyone who has had a relative or friend suddenly admitted to hospital knows exactly what that term means (as does Johnson). He also knows that the measures that have been introduced are token ones. He'll pop up to Manchester* for a couple of days of Labour (and Europe) bashing and elbow touching, then back down the bunker 'preparing for Copt26' until supply starts to return to normal.

* - opportunity for a photo-op; they will scout out a filling station with fuel, they'll probably have him filling up the car of some nice old lady, big smile on her face, while holding back other customers.
His driver is probably touring central London petrol stations trying to fill up ready for the journey North as we speak :lol:

Typhoon

Established Member
He may well do, but he might need the car while he's there. A tram ticket won't do, unless it's one stop for a photo opportunity!
I wouldn't put it past him, the last leg by train or tram, claiming to be 'green' by using public transport.

NSEFAN

Established Member
The roads around it are now jammed up. Nobody even said if it was a petrol of diesel delivery either :)
Might be neither. The following story gave me a good chuckle.

BBC News said:
A tanker driver has told how he was tailed by about 20 drivers who were dismayed to discover he was not transporting petrol.

Johnny Anderson, who drives for Weaver Haulage, was transporting 44 tonnes of mortar from Bilston, Wolverhampton, to a building site in Northamptonshire.

When he reached his destination, he saw a line of traffic backed up behind him.

"The man at the front... actually said 'You could have stopped and told us you weren't a petrol tanker," he said.

The incident came as lengthy queues formed at forecourts amid petrol and diesel supply problems.

Mr Anderson, from Harworth, Nottinghamshire, said he was delivering cement to the David Wilson Homes development at Overstone on Thursday.

He was on the A43 when he first realised he was being followed.

"I didn't notice initially but then on the dual carriageway, I noticed nobody was overtaking me and saw a string of about 20 cars behind me," he said.

"When I eventually turned left into a road that would take me to the site entrance, all these cars turned left with me."

Three-quarters of a mile later, when he stopped at the site entrance, he heard car horns honking, he said.

Thinking something had fallen off his vehicle, he got out and saw the queue of vehicles.

"The man at the front wound down his window and asked me which petrol station I was going to," he said.

"When I said I wasn't, he asked me 'Why not?' and when I said I wasn't carrying petrol, he actually said 'You could have stopped and told us you weren't a petrol tanker.'

"I couldn't believe it... I just went full McEnroe and said 'You cannot be serious!'

"Then the bloke behind asked me where the nearest petrol station was. It just beggars belief."

Mr Anderson, who has been driving double-bellied mortar tankers for about six years, said while it was "quite funny", there was also a serious side.

"My cargo isn't dangerous but if they are following a petrol tanker, their training is to call the police if they think they're being followed," he said.

"People need to stop and think... driving a tanker, no matter what the product, is quite a pressurised job, so following them puts extra pressure on drivers already under pressure without having to worry about absolute morons."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.