• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PHBTs: EAL (30/10), WIM (31/10), DPD (4/11), NSH (6/11) & Bamber Bridge (7/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsr

Established Member
I'm posting this for the information of anyone travelling to and from London Paddington, including to and from Heathrow Airport.

Unfortunately, a person was hit by a train at Ealing Broadway at approx. 1500hrs. All lines are blocked. There will be delays of up to 60 minutes (in reality, probably more) until further notice.

FGW, Heathrow Connect and Heathrow Express will continue to be affected.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
There is also a trespass incident at Cheltenham Spa causing delays of up to 45 minutes until further notice. All lines are reported to have been blocked since 1535hrs.

CC 72100

Established Member
Follows a fatality this morning at Cholsey too which also caused severe disruption. Sad.

Yes, I see the one Pad - Penzance terminated at Truro this afternoon, with LDB showing it as due 105 minutes late at Exeter. Always very sorry to hear of disruptions with these causes.

Buttsy

Established Member
My thoughts are with the drivers who would have been able to nothing about it, they're the ones who are likely to find it the hardest to get over it.

bailey65

This is another tragic incident there have been a lot lately unfortunately.
There are about 200 plus suicides a year that is a lot of traumatized drivers how many of them have to give up driving and how does the industry cope with the loss of a large number of drivers every year.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
This is another tragic incident there have been a lot lately unfortunately.
There are about 200 plus suicides a year that is a lot of traumatized drivers how many of them have to give up driving and how does the industry cope with the loss of a large number of drivers every year.

Very few give up. As a proportion who leave the service for other reasons each year, it is insignificant.

38Cto15E

I think there have been 3 rail related fatalities in just over 24 hours, maybe something to do with clocks being changed, dark evenings etc etc

fgwrich

Established Member
I think there have been 3 rail related fatalities in just over 24 hours, maybe something to do with clocks being changed, dark evenings etc etc

The third sadly being at Powderham last night - with the unit involved being the last up Paignton - Exeter (150128).

(Sorry, 150128 on 2E67)

Last edited:

ushawk

Established Member
The third sadly being at Powderham last night - with the unit involved being the last up Paignton - Exeter (150129).

Never knew about that, would mean 4 in 24 hours - looking like it could be a bad week for it.

SWT_USER

3rd week of commuting on FGW this week and after a good first 2 weeks its all gone wrong. Cancelled train yesterday afternoon and 2 buses home today because of this incident.

Thoughts to all involved...:(

dk1

Veteran Member
As a driver currently restricted due to a fatality, it has definatley been more frequent of late. On GA we had 3 in less than 48hrs two of which where at the same location. Really complex to tell what causes these awful incidents. We all know depression is a dreadful illness but do people find it harder to cope these days or is it just that this form of suicide is more widely announced through the media & seemed an easy way out? Such an emotive issue. Just wish i could have understood the mind of the guy to try to come to terms with what could be so bad to drive him to this.

SWT_USER

I've noticed they've put up Samaritains posters on the fast platforms at Ealing Broadway, Southall and Hayes and there were two volunteers at Hayes this morning. Any idea how long they have been doing this and if its had any effect?

CC 72100

Established Member
I've noticed they've put up Samaritains posters on the fast platforms at Ealing Broadway, Southall and Hayes and there were two volunteers at Hayes this morning. Any idea how long they have been doing this and if its had any effect?

I don't know in terms of effects, but these certainly do seem to be common locations for such tragic events. :(

Journeycheck showed absolute chaos earlier, as to be expected!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There has been a joint campaign between NR & the Samaritans for several years. I think it is into a second phase now with new posters and new signage.

( There was also a fatality at Apsley last night)

fsmr

There has been a joint campaign between NR & the Samaritans for several years. I think it is into a second phase now with new posters and new signage.

When even assistant Chief constables can't see the light
there is no hope for less stable minded individuals IMHO and saddly, the railway has always been one of the most efficient if not selfish ways of ending ones life IMHO

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co....Fraser-fraud/story-17141757-detail/story.html

Leicester Mercury said:

Leicestershire police chief Gordon Fraser in fraud probe is found dead

Police in Leicestershire are in shock after a senior officer being investigated over allegations of fraud and trying to dodge a speeding ticket died when he was hit by a train.

Assistant Chief Constable Gordon Fraser was killed in Aston Magna, Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire, shortly after midday on Friday. The 48-year-old's death is not being treated as suspicious.

At the time of the alleged offence, Mr Fraser, who had been a police officer for almost 25 years, was suspended from his post while he was investigated for suspected fraud and gross misconduct.... (more)
The inquiry centres on his alleged involvement in an overseas property business, in which investors reportedly lost money.

That is now two senior Leics Policeman who have committed suicide in the last year albeit not like the first, Inspector Toby Day taking half his family with him as well thankfully. (Toby Days wife had an affair and he used the PNC to track the lovers details, Wife complains he gets supended for PNC misuse and flips killing her and one daughter as well as himself)

It seems today that as technology has progressed, more folks seem to be getting into trouble that years ago would never have happened.
For gods sake a speeding ticket. 20 years ago, the copper would pull you over and that was that whereas , now if you wish, you can pretend it wasnt you and get someone else to take the rap untill the deceit gets discovered as in the Gordon Fraser case but quite how that then leads to jumping in front of a train beats me :(

Phil6219

There was one yesterday in the late afternoon / early evening somewhere near Euston, caused major disruption. Quite a few northbound VWC services were 2.5+ hours late with the others cancelled, the southbounds were equally affected given the lack of trains that made it north.

I was at Tamworth on Friday and got a close look at those Samaritans signs, I didn't realise it wasn't a freephone number. Then again if you need help you wouldn't care about the cost of a call.

Phil 8-)

colchesterken

I saw that poster at Ilford and was shocked to see it was an 0845 number what if you have no credit on the phone
If network rail want to help they should fund a special freephone number from stations.
Having said that I fear if you have got as far as getting to the platform I think it is unlikley they would have second thoughts and make the call. but anything is worth trying to save someone

fgwrich

Established Member

As well as the namings too - Pendo, 350, DRS 57, all after the Samaritans founder 'Chad Varah'.

Temple Meads

Established Member
The third sadly being at Powderham last night - with the unit involved being the last up Paignton - Exeter (150128).

(Sorry, 150128 on 2E67)
That's just sent a shiver up my spine - 150128 is my "lurker unit" and I saw it stabled on Exeter Depot tonight, so to see the above is rather nasty, I was caught up in today's delays too - the consequences continued all day by the looks of things.

Thoughts to everyone involved in the incidents mentioned :(

Class377/5

Established Member

It's an industry wide scheme that was recently launched. We may never know for sure but even if t saves one life then it's got to be worth it.

phil281

I've hear a rumour the Apsley one wasn't suicide...not sure how true that is, but that is truely horrific if it is true. I know the BTP took a block yesterday to more investigating

TheKeymeister

I saw that poster at Ilford and was shocked to see it was an 0845 number what if you have no credit on the phone
If network rail want to help they should fund a special freephone number from stations.
Having said that I fear if you have got as far as getting to the platform I think it is unlikley they would have second thoughts and make the call. but anything is worth trying to save someone

All well and good but most mobile operators charge for free phone numbers anyway so not much gained

starrymarkb

Established Member

There is one at Powderham too

richw

Veteran Member
All well and good but most mobile operators charge for free phone numbers anyway so not much gained

It's not the mobile operators that charge, its the owners of the 0800 number not opting to foot the bill for calls from mobiles, not sure about Samaritans but some charity 0800 numbers are now free from mobiles.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

ushawk

Established Member
Just been another incident of this kind, this time at Wimbledon making it 5 in 3 days so far.

Involved service is the 11.54 Basingstoke to London Waterloo - thoughts with those involved.

tsr

Established Member
Just been another incident of this kind, this time at Wimbledon making it 5 in 3 days so far.

Involved service is the 11.54 Basingstoke to London Waterloo - thoughts with those involved.

I noticed that on NRE too :(

All SWT services are cancelled and SW Lines blocked until around 1425hrs. Early eyewitness reports indicate suicide, but I can't confirm this for definite, of course!

Unfortunately, there was also a one-under at Waterloo on the Bakerloo Line this morning!

---

EDIT: FCC now appear (unsurprisingly) to be affected by the incident at Wimbledon.

Last edited:

ANDYS

Not to make light of a very serious event but I was in London yesterday and saw the aftermath of the Ealing incident. This was the first time me and my son have been to London since he (8 years old) witnessed a 'one under' suicide on the underground and we luckily missed the Ealing incident as we were running late.

Seeing the damage to the leading HST cab, the disruption and manpower used and all the after effects of everyone involved it makes you wonder if something cannot be done to help these people before they decide on the ultimate action. A freephone number must be a lot, lot cheaper then what happens after the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.