• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PHBTs: EAL (30/10), WIM (31/10), DPD (4/11), NSH (6/11) & Bamber Bridge (7/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
There have been a lot of issues over the last half of the year. For me I've been delayed a number of times and have claimed quite a bit of money back!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hluraven

There have been a lot of issues over the last half of the year. For me I've been delayed a number of times and have claimed quite a bit of money back!

The only one I got caught up in (Actual train that hit someone) Scotrail didn't give me a penny as they say they don't pay out unless they were directly at fault.

ANDYS

F Great Eastern

I believe the comment is linked. I was at Paddington last night, luckily not travelling as not much was moving at all. Every train was rammed, the station announcer was saying services were suspended but every ten minutes or so a message was flashed on the screens so that another train was filled to over flowing. Then the train stood and even more people tried to get on.

I realise that in these situations things change very quickly and are very stressful but most customers did not seem to be getting a lot of help so I understand where this comment may have come from.

GodAtum

On Moderation
The only one I got caught up in (Actual train that hit someone) Scotrail didn't give me a penny as they say they don't pay out unless they were directly at fault.

I was caught up in the problems at Paddington yesterday and with SWT a number of times (due to incidents at Wimbledon and Guildford I believe).

455driver

Veteran Member
For me I've been delayed a number of times and have claimed quite a bit of money back!

Well as long as somebody gains out of these things thats the main thing isnt it!

I wouldnt even dream of making a claim but then I have a conscience.

fsmr

Well as long as somebody gains out of these things thats the main thing isnt it!

second on that one but sadly in this letigious something for nothing society we seem to be creating, there are those that will

gage75

I saw that poster at Ilford and was shocked to see it was an 0845 number what if you have no credit on the phone
If network rail want to help they should fund a special freephone number from stations.
Having said that I fear if you have got as far as getting to the platform I think it is unlikley they would have second thoughts and make the call. but anything is worth trying to save someone

if you check outa web site called saynoto0845 and type in the num you can find out if there is a local num available, I know there is one for samaritans in Harrow and their office is only 5mins from Harrow and Wealdstone Station

tsr

Established Member
if you check outa web site called saynoto0845 and type in the num you can find out if there is a local num available, I know there is one for samaritans in Harrow and their office is only 5mins from Harrow and Wealdstone Station

Good as that website is, I doubt many desperately suicidal people would go to it, type in the Samaritans' number, get a result and ring the local number...

If I can be proved wrong here, I will be very glad to be!

Last edited:

gage75

should have added that there is a dedicated phone on the walkway @ harrow & w'stone

Absolutely agree with you, on this point. My attitude would be, there but for the grace of God go I.

wijit

Personally, I would be more inclined to get home and let those important to me know how important they actually are. A refund, in my eyes, would simply not be wanted.

Robsignals

My sympathies also to all involved. I believe some incidents in West London and other areas with similar demographics are Asian women who see suicide as their only escape from a loveless/abusive arranged marriage, very sad.

To give a more positive view of the disruptions I was on the 1446 Gloucester - Pad which was on time to Swindon where an 'unspecified delay' was announced and we were advised to join the Swansea train held for us across the platform which, with an additional stop at Didcot, was about 15 late at Reading and I caught my planned connection to Gatwick.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
We all know depression is a dreadful illness but do people find it harder to cope these days or is it just that this form of suicide is more widely announced through the media & seemed an easy way out? Such an emotive issue. Just wish i could have understood the mind of the guy to try to come to terms with what could be so bad to drive him to this.

Compared to the number of poor souls who hang themselves, I would suggest that the number of rail related suicides is very low. The thing with mental illness is that all too often people only find out when it's too late to help. Its not like breaking a leg where the signs are there for all to see. If someone is intent on taking their own life the last thing they're going to do is to tell someone. They can see no way out and thats that.

ushawk

Established Member
ALL FOUR tracks are closed ...
WHY?

Even assuming a "jumper"/suicide, if it is actually at E Bdy Stn, there is no need AT ALL to close the other pair of tracks, is there?

This is just stupidity on someone's part.

About 4/5 months back, there was a jumper on the down fast at Hayes & Harlington.
They did not close the slow/relief lines, so there really is no excuse for this sort of thing, is there?
I suspect it depends on the IQ level of the BT or Met-plod who gets there first - & you can be sure if it is MetPlod, they will screw it up - it's not their area of expertise, anyway ......

Ever thought the remains of the person were scattered over the lines ? Chances are the body would have been visible on the line, so you can't run trains past it !!!

Perhaps you should think before posting stupid comments.

Phil6219

/\ Greg it comes down to how bad the scene is, the body needs covering and if the train is still there it needs the front shielding from passing trains. It also depends on well, how the body has reacted to the impact - if it's all in the 4 foot then it could be possible to reopen the adjacent lines if however it was a particularly nasty one that scattered pieces everywhere then time needs to be taken to take care of that. It also comes down to access, some lines will be blocked to allow the emergency services and NR & the operator to safely gain access to the site.

Phil 8-)

tsr

Established Member
WHY?

Even assuming a "jumper"/suicide, if it is actually at E Bdy Stn, there is no need AT ALL to close the other pair of tracks, is there?

About 4/5 months back, there was a jumper on the down fast at Hayes & Harlington.
They did not close the slow/relief lines, so there really is no excuse for this sort of thing, is there?
I suspect it depends on the IQ level of the BT or Met-plod who gets there first - & you can be sure if it is MetPlod, they will screw it up - it's not their area of expertise, anyway ......

It depends on the risk assessment of the ambulance crew, actually, amongst other things. The guidelines (the last time I read them) were that an ambulance crew may refuse to go onto the tracks to examine the casualty until they deem the situation safe enough to do so. Sometimes this means they need positive confirmation of a total block of the lines, and I have heard of many situations where they have also requested power isolation and discharge. This is for their own safety, especially given that they are probably not PTS holders or trained in any way in working on the track when trains are running, etc.

In addition, the rules are the rules. It was not permitted for passengers to see any part of a deceased person on the railway. It still isn't. I hope it won't ever be.

I won't go through other criteria for whether or not the lines are blocked, and which lines - somebody else can do so if they feel the need. The other replies to your post surely also give some information about this.

I must point out that two lines were reopened prior to full reopening in the aftermath of the Ealing Broadway incident; this shows there was a staggered clearup operation, in order to allow running to commence as soon as possible in line with maintaining standards and respecting the deceased.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
An ambulance crew will refuse to go on the track unless all lines are blocked and current discharged. It isn't safe for untrained PTS staff to do anything other than that.

There aren't guidelines as such for that, but any crew doing a proper scene safety and situation assessment will by go on the lines.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

dk1

Veteran Member
If any body parts are only visable to traincrew then NR will advise as such. It is then up to the driver concerned as to whether or not the train procceeds past. This however has only happened to me on one occasion & then there wasnt too much visable.

user15681

Established Member
Very sad indeed. A question to those who are more likely to know, is it usual to get an above average amount of suicides after the clocks go back or at the beginning of winter? Could be coincidence, but strange if so.

Fortunately, I've only ever directly witnessed one, but that image and sound will stay with me for the rest of my life. What really bugs me is how other passengers can be so selfish in the aftermath. I've often heard passengers moaning about delays, moaning about being a few minutes late home, getting angry at station staff because they're not clearing it up quick enough, moaning that the suicidal person was selfish and a coward, complaining about not getting any compensation etc. it goes on!

I often try reminding passengers that somebody has actually just died or been very seriously injured, that somebody actually thought their life was not worth living anymore and that some family out there has just lost a son, a daughter, a sibling, a parent, a grandparent or a friend. Then there is the driver that's affected by it, people who might have seen it, emergency responders etc. Unfortunately, very few see that side of things and just care about themselves, their own little world and the rush rush rush to get home.

tsr

Established Member
An ambulance crew will refuse to go on the track unless all lines are blocked and current discharged. It isn't safe for untrained PTS staff to do anything other than that.

There aren't guidelines as such for that, but any crew doing a proper scene safety and situation assessment will by go on the lines.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

The guidelines are pretty much as follows: do not under any circumstances place yourself at risk of electric shock and keep within a safety margin proportional to the potential speeds, stopping distances and types of vehicles nearby. The first rule is that you should not become a casualty in the process of attempting to assist a casualty.

Well, that's what NHS staff tell me... and I'm pretty sure that I actually read some written guidelines about this, too. It's exactly what a good first response/first aid course leader would tell you.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
WHY?

sigh - you clearly know best.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
The guidelines are pretty much as follows: do not under any circumstances place yourself at risk of electric shock and keep within a safety margin proportional to the potential speeds, stopping distances and types of vehicles nearby.
The guidelines are do a dynamic risk assessment, in your scene safety and situation assessment as part of the primary survey. There are no rail specific guidelines, apart from listen to the bloke in the orange hi-vis.
The first rule is that you should not become a casualty in the process of attempting to assist a casualty.
Indeed.

oversteer

Unfortunately, very few see that side of things and just care about themselves, their own little world and the rush rush rush to get home.

Agreed, people were ridiculous at Euston the other night. Even if you have no idea how the railways work, it surely doesn't take much imagination to realise why four lines could get blocked for a period of time and just how much disruption it will cause..

Hopefully Samaritans get all the funding they need. Perhaps there should be a campaign where people are encouraged to donate "delay replay" refunds back into a pot which funds campaigns at stations, wardens, free phones etc.

Dr.iver

WHY?

Words fail they really do ( well no actually they don't but if I respond to your post in the manner it deserves I'd get banned), perhaps just for a moment you will stop to remember someone has died

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Words fail they really do ( well no actually they don't but if I respond to your post in the manner it deserves I'd get banned), perhaps just for a moment you will stop to remember someone has died

they aren’t bothered in the slightest - all they care about is their routine and their own self importance. :roll:

(i also wish i could respond in the manner i want to but i would be banned on the spot!)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
WHY?

Yes 'they' did close the reliefs. All lines on multitrack routes are closed until a trained railway employee in an official capacity can confirm that the deceased can not be seen from passing trains on lines to be reopened.

Due to the nature of such incidents and location of response staff this can some times be done quickly (at Wimbledon yesterday it was approx 15 mins when two lines were opened) sometimes it takes a while longer. The incident at Apsley earlier in the week was particularly difficult for those involved and took much longer.

At some busy locations where adjacent lines are controlled by different signal boxes, it takes longer for the message to reach the signalbox(es) controlling lines not directly affected. In some cases by the time the message to stop trains on these lines has got to the other 'boxes, the all clear to run trains on those lines has also been given, so it appears there has been no halt to services. Stratford and Clapham are good examples.

Last edited:

silverfoxcc

It does seem that the attitude of the general public has gone down in the last couple of decades. My son and i used to use a midland rover or the regional equivalent back in the late 80's. On on ex St Pancras HST we rolled to a halt and stopped for about 25mins near Loughborough.AFAIR no info was given back via the driver to the pax, but we got rolling albeit slowly and i was 'hanging' out of one of the door windows. Looking up the track there were several personnel in the cess attending to what i later found out was a bodybag, but this was well concealed by them. Further up the track was a lot of blood in the 4ft, so i guessed it was a fatality. Relayed this info to my lad, and was overheard by another pax whose reaction was 'poor bugger, family etc' and this thought was echoed by others as the info passed on.
Nowadays as you say, detritus like margo and her ilk are self self self

Rich McLean

Established Member
Fire now between Cardiff and Newport, all lines blocked

First Great Western ‏@FGW
Emergency services required between Newport and Cardiff. Lines blocked. Services may be cancelled or delayed at short notice. ^Amber

Status
Not open for further replies.