• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photography in London

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash39

Established Member
I'm going to be in London over the easter weekend and amongst other things I'll have a bit of time for some rail photography. Can anyone give me some tips?

Station wise, I'll be coming into Kings Cross. Taken the odd photo there before so don't expect any major problems. What's the situation at Liverpool St and Euston? I wouldn't have a ticket for those stations as I have no intention of travelling anywhere so I'd either need permission or a platform ticket of some sort.

Stratford, I'm going for a look around the Olympic stadium anyway so if accessing Liverpool St is a problem I'll probably go on the train rather than the tube so I can get in. Are there any good spots around Stratford there where you could include a train and the stadium/helter skelter statue in one composition? Would look quite good I think but haven't seen it done so I'm guessing maybe not.

Are there any good vantage points for Wembley depot? Google maps suggests probably not!

Thanks
Ash

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
if you have a travelcard then you can get into most platforms at all stations. If you have a paper travelcard, rather than using Oyster and the PAYG cap, there's no issue with journies timing out because you've been hanging around on a platform for hours.

NSE

Established Member
Wembley Stadium station provides good views of Chiltern's Wembley depot, and there is a turnback siding immediately north which sends ECS through the station. However I feel that is probably not the Wembley depot you are after, of which the WCML one, I don't think has many decent vantage points.

Personally I'd get the train to Stratford anyway, you can see much more of the station and the Olympic Park as you approach.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As the Olympic park is still closed, the best views of it are afforded by going to the 'view tube' near Pudding Mill Lane DLR station. I echo the comments above by NSE; get the train from LivSt to Stratford (sit on the left hand side). If you want to go to view tube then head back one stop on the DLR.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
If you fancy a trip on HS1 or a trip a bit further the South Eastern website is doing 25% off off- peak returns booked on line incl HS1 & you get any railcard discount on top of that.

ash39

Established Member
Thanks for the tips, I may take a trip on HS1 although I've done it on Eurostar. Where's the first stop for the 395's? It's the last few days of my 16-25 railcard sadly, hence making the most of it!

NSE

Established Member
Stratford International. So you can go there, then return to London via the Mainline to Liverpool Street.

If you want to try 315's then go to the more regular Liverpool Street service from platform 5, but platform 9 is where you get the 360 desiros from if you fancy something a little different.

ash39

Established Member
I'd want a 90 + mk3 set but they don't stop at Stratford I'm assuming. Should see some passing through though.

Also, different side of London now I know, does anyone know if any Chiltern loco hauled services are running on Easter Sunday?

furlong

Established Member
As the Olympic park is still closed, the best views of it are afforded by going to the 'view tube' near Pudding Mill Lane DLR station.

Also try the viewing gallery in John Lewis in the Westfield shopping centre and the roof/ramps in the adjacent shopping centre car park.

anthony263

Established Member
I'd want a 90 + mk3 set but they don't stop at Stratford I'm assuming. Should see some passing through though.

Also, different side of London now I know, does anyone know if any Chiltern loco hauled services are running on Easter Sunday?

I must confess that I have travelled on such a set from Straford to Liverpool street although not sure if the train was set down only on teh way to Liverpool street.

I did look at getting a trip from Liverpool street to Straford on one of the loco hauled rakes the problem was non of the services on the departure boards showed as calling at straford so I didnt want to rest it. Perhaps Stratford is pick up only for trains heading out of Liverpool street to Norwich?

I agree that you can get some good views from the DLR around straford

Status
Not open for further replies.