• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plane Bashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

starrymarkb

Established Member
Will believe it when I see it. IIRC Virgin were not eligible as it was a requirement for an airline to use all the existing slots it owns (Virgin lease several out to US carriers)

SwindonPkwy

I think there is some Richard Branson rhetoric going on here since they lost the WCML rail franchise!! It's hard to see a single domestic route working for them.

WestCoast

Established Member
They'll get the traffic for domestic routes, if they codeshare and interline with non-Oneworld carriers (i.e. the ones that aren't allied with BA) at Heathrow. Virgin always used bmi to feed their Heathrow routes and of course they aren't very happy at having to use BA now.

However, whether such an operation can be sustainable in the long-term is another matter entirely. Bmi had a similar strategy with its domestic routes (particularly Manchester where O&D traffic is very much in the minority), they were carrying all the connecting passengers of other airlines! However, Virgin do have an advantage in that they have a long-haul network of their own, unlike bmi.

EDIT - It's all confirmed. See; www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en/travel-information/customer-service/latest-news.html

Last edited:

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
This is certainly an interesting move by Virgin, I'm sure they've been considering recalling their leased slots for awhile - given that they are keen to acquire some former BMI slots. I don't doubt the announcement this week is a face saving exercise after the loss of the West Coast franchise.

Interestingly, glancing through the FAQs on their site - they appear to be suggesting that the service will be an 'extension of the long haul product', I'd be interested to know what they intend to do with such short flight times. It also appears they will use a wet lease arrangement to operate these flights - though crews will be trained to their standards.

WestCoast

Established Member
nterestingly, glancing through the FAQs on their site - they appear to be suggesting that the service will be an 'extension of the long haul product', I'd be interested to know what they intend to do with such short flight times. It also appears they will use a wet lease arrangement to operate these flights - though crews will be trained to their standards.

The BA/bmi Heathrow - Manchester flights are not the place for stellar service - there simply isn't time for it. My last northbound flight took had a flying time of just 33 minutes and the 4 BA crew didn't manage to serve a 60%-70% full A320. They missed out the middle ten or so rows and a few people weren't best pleased!

Bmi was buy-on-board up until the start of BA integration, although they currently have BA service.

I suggested they should do what the ever efficient Lufthansa does on very short flights, hand out the snack on the ground and then just do a more limited selection of drinks (tea/coffee/water/coke/beer) in the sky.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I suggested they should do what the ever efficient Lufthansa does on very short flights, hand out the snack on the ground and then just do a more limited selection of drinks (tea/coffee/water/coke/beer) in the sky.

This sounds similar to the LOT onboard domestic service, which consists of a chocolate wafer bar and, depending on the flight, a selection of a couple of juices and possibly coffee. This was certainly the case last year, when I did Gdansk - Warsaw and Warsaw - Krakow with LOT. Achievable in a very short space of time!

LE Greys

Established Member
If they stretch it to Scotland, I'll consider using the route in its own right, mostly to see what it's like. Still, I'd say its likely it will continue. It seems to be airline politics, the loss of the WCML gave Branson an additional reason to introduce the service, and he spun it to make it look like that was one of the main reasons. It might well have happened either way.

WestCoast

Established Member
If they stretch it to Scotland, I'll consider using the route in its own right, mostly to see what it's like. Still, I'd say its likely it will continue. It seems to be airline politics, the loss of the WCML gave Branson an additional reason to introduce the service, and he spun it to make it look like that was one of the main reasons. It might well have happened either way.

The WCML loss is just a sweetener, this has been planned for much longer than last week. I suspect since the purchase of bmi by British Airways, because that's the real motivation here. Come October, bmi's services will fully disappear and Virgin will be paying their arch rival to provide them with connecting passengers at Heathrow,

Plus, it's their way of showing to the regulator, "we're serious about domestic routes", which makes them more likely to get the Scotland slots released from the bmi takeover.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well my first flight with easyjet on Sunday was quite good. First A319 and Liverpool airport was quite alright. Certainly far more to do there than Ronaldsway and Blackpool! First one with Manx2 was certainly very different too, and t'was my first flight where my ears popped. Very painful but remembered to yawn to reset them and all was good.

Certainly very strange getting a LET-L410 after being used to much larger Airbus and Boeing craft! Quite enjoyable though, might have to fly with them again :)

Desperate to fly again, got Wednesday off and I'm looking desperately for a reasonably priced bash :D

WestCoast

Established Member
I like Ronaldsway a lot, mainly for the interesting and exotic aircraft. Liverpool is a low cost clone airport - you're very lucky if you see a passenger airliner that isn't a Ryanair B738 or an easyJet A319. :|
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Desperate to fly again, got Wednesday off and I'm looking desperately for a reasonably priced bash :D

Have you tried Manx2's WAG-sponsered Anglesy to Cardiff service? I know they use a 19-seater Dornier on that particular route rather than a LET or Jetsream,

I think I've mentioned the SAS last minute fares to Scandinavia, they can be quite good value, plus SAS is retiring the last MD-87 in Europe come the end of the month.

starrymarkb

Established Member
I'd be up for a Loganair Orkney Milk Run at some point...

Not sure whether to book another trip or to book flights to Berlin for next year's WGT

theblackwatch

Established Member
What is unusual about this footage is the relatively high number of chartered aircraft (Germania, Mistral, Air Europa and Avion Express). The Germania and Avion Express are operating on behalf of Jet2, who had two aircraft with technical problems, the Mistral is bringing in Italian school children who are attending a Summer language school, and the Air Europa is operating on behalf of Thomson.

Jet2 still had a Germania aircraft on hire on Wednesday - I travelled back to Yeadon from Dusseldorf and it was operated by a Germania plane (D-AGET for anyone who is interested in its identity).

WestCoast

Established Member
At Manchester, Jet2 have also had a Strategic Airlines A320 on short-term lease to cover for shortages during this extremely busy part of the year.
Jet2 still had a Germania aircraft on hire on Wednesday - I travelled back to Yeadon from Dusseldorf and it was operated by a Germania plane (D-AGET for anyone who is interested in its identity).

Out of interest, was the cabin crew provided by Germania or Jet2 (or a mixture)? The pilots almost always come from the lessor, but that's not always the case for the cabin staff.

Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
Out of interest, was the cabin crew provided by Germania or Jet2 (or a mixture)? The pilots almost always come from the lessor, but that's not always the case for the cabin staff.

They were Germania - there were 2 Jet2 staff on board (a steward and stewardess), but the Germania crew did virtually everything apart from the drinks/trolley service.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I like Ronaldsway a lot, mainly for the interesting and exotic aircraft. Liverpool is a low cost clone airport - you're very lucky if you see a passenger airliner that isn't a Ryanair B738 or an easyJet A319. :|

Have you tried Manx2's WAG-sponsered Anglesy to Cardiff service? I know they use a 19-seater Dornier on that particular route rather than a LET or Jetsream,

I think I've mentioned the SAS last minute fares to Scandinavia, they can be quite good value, plus SAS is retiring the last MD-87 in Europe come the end of the month.

Very true with Liverpool, there wasn't a lot of interest there.

Not done the Manx2 route off Cardiff yet no, will do one day. Didn't bother booking anything for tomorrow in the end, I went out on the town for a colleague's leaving do on Sunday and had a great time instead. Can't wait to do that again...

WestCoast

Established Member
Just returned from a trip on BA's new Manchester to Gothenburg route, well it's actually their franchise partner Sun Air. Aircraft was a very interesting 32-seater Dornier 328 Jet and the onboard service was truly exemplary. On the 2 hour flight, we were served a full dinner, including ice cream and liquors to finish.

Gothenburg Landvetter Airport seemed very stereotypically Scandinavian. The airport site is surrounded by trees and the interior definitely had an IKEA-esque theme going on (where else would you find a mock-up of a kitchen in the check-in hall and oversized green lamps at security?).

starrymarkb

Established Member
Not a new route, airline or aircraft type, but I've just booked another Glasgow day trip from Bristol for £49! (mainly to see a special lady)

Not looking forward to the Red Bull I'll need :s

SwindonPkwy

For me it's back to Frankfurt on BA. I have booked the first outbound flight of the day which should be my first BA 767.

Ascot

Established Member
I envy you both :( I'm sick of Flybe 175s and 195s between BHX - EDI. There's only so much Stella a man can take but I'm looking forward for a *A to Geneva next month.

SwindonPkwy

Off to Frankfurt tomorrow; with the Lufthansa strike, I am wondering if BA will substitute some larger equipment. An A321, in place of the A319 on the return, would be really nice.

Ascot

Established Member
Off to Frankfurt tomorrow; with the Lufthansa strike, I am wondering if BA will substitute some larger equipment. An A321, in place of the A319 on the return, would be really nice.

Good luck, don't forget to stop off at the JAL lounge for noodles and hot dogs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

giblets

I saw on another forum that BA substituted a 744 in on Frankfurt the other day, so good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwindonPkwy

BA902 pilot this morning, "shortly after takeoff we will be taking a left turn to avoid some rich people's houses."

Good day out so far. In the lounge (not JAL) for the return flight.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Unfortunately, unforeseen circumstances means I've had to cancel my BMI Baby farewell trip this Sunday. Frustrating to lose the money - I seem to just have bad luck with flying trips. At least I didn't have hotel bookings to worry about as well (as I'd originally intended).

WestCoast

Established Member
I've never flown on bmibaby or really wanted to, even though they did have a sizeable base at Manchester until recently. It was probably that awful advertising jingle which accompanied the ITV Granada weather report for about five years!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've never flown on bmibaby or really wanted to, even though they did have a sizeable base at Manchester until recently. It was probably that awful advertising jingle which accompanied the ITV Granada weather report for about five years!

They sponsored the ITV weather round here too - though I don't watch ITV news too often so am spared the memory of the jingle. I always liked flying with BMI Baby, certainly in preference to Ryanair but the extra charges gradually crept in and the breakfast I ordered on my last flight was disgusting (for £7!).

I'm very disappointed not to be saying goodbye - I was looking forward to an afternoon in Barcelona but a lack of way to the airport and an important engagement tonight mean there's no way I can make it :(

starrymarkb

Established Member
For those that are interested Delta are doing cheapish flights from Dublin and back from San Francisco, but if you do as a multi city as long as DUB and SFO are involved you can do it for about £400. Tempted to do BRS-DUB-SFO-YUL-DUB-BRS which would include the 737, BAe146, 777, 757, CRJ, MD11, A320 and ATR72 if I had someone to go with :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.