• Dear Guest, and welcome to RailUK Forums. Our non-railway discussion forums are currently restricted until members have five or more posts, and you will not be able to make a new thread or reply to an existing one in this section until you have made five or more posts elsewhere on the forum.

Planned Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloogrape

Well im planning on doing a nice long trip for a holiday.

I'm thinking about going from Reading to Edinburgh and stay there for a week and return. now thetrainline.com is very useful and i can see that the virgin train can do a direct run without a change stopping at on station on the way and none on return.

Any sudgestions for this trip..
What todo on the train?
Hotels (cheap like a travelodge or something in edinburgh?)

Anybody done this trip before id be keen to hear :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I would personally go via London and use GNER for such a long journey, especially if you're doing standard class. From my experience on a 4 car Voyager from Reading to Leeds, standard was very overcrowded and looked terrible, never mind as far as Edinburgh! The GNER std advance is only £3 more than the cheapest vv and takes about 10 mins longer including getting across London. If you can afford the Virgin First class upgrade its probably worth it, but otherwise I personally wouldn't recommend it :)

As for staying in Edinburgh, there's a Travelodge a short stroll from the station. I have no experience of it, but I'm sure its pretty nice.

bloogrape

Ive had a trip from basingstoke to reading in a vv and i hated it tbh lol. so a trip to paddington then kingscross with gner to leeds and upwards.. the trip down allways indicates virgin so im stuck coming down, i dont fancy a **** trip with changes on way back because il be very tired.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hostels are available, around £14 for the average price a night. If you're a rich git though, Travelodge is brilliant, although I'm unsure about them letting you take a room for an entire week.

As for routing, I'd book via London if it is affordable on a GNER KGX - EDB service. Could be done for quite a cheap amount. I'd go for the 1030 HST up to EDB off KGX, but depends on when you want to land in Edinburgh. Nothing is more enjoyable than a HST at full whack on the ECML between Edinburgh and Dunbar! I absolutely LOVED it! Not had a better HST trip yet, although the return from Pembroke Dock in 2004 ties I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.