• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Planning a Trip on Class 43's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montel Osman

Hi, I'm planning on having a small trip on Class 43's before they start to leave service soon and I wondered if you guys had any suggestions on which would be best route?

I don't want to particularly spend lots of money on the train ticket at this current time (Paddington to Penzance would be nice but expensive)

I've been looking at Paddington to Bristol but I wondered if that route already has class 800s?

I don't know much about GWR and their routes as I mainly use Greater Anglia.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
They aren't leaving service any time soon and there will still be plenty around for many years to come.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Hi, I'm planning on having a small trip on Class 43's before they start to leave service soon and I wondered if you guys had any suggestions on which would be best route?

I don't want to particularly spend lots of money on the train ticket at this current time (Paddington to Penzance would be nice but expensive)

I've been looking at Paddington to Bristol but I wondered if that route already has class 800s?

I don't know much about GWR and their routes as I mainly use Greater Anglia.

Any ideas or suggestions?

It's too late to get anything out of Paddington, only 3 out of about 50+ diagrams are HSTs, with nothing except WofE services, unless you go on the 18th May.

I'd suggest going from London to Nottingham on an EMT HST, advance tickets are relatively cheap on these services, with a similar journey time to London - Bristol.
These are the daytime xx34 services from St Pancras, and xx45 from Nottingham, these are the fast services that only stop at East Midlands Parkway, Leicester and Market Harborough

Last edited:

leightonbd

Plenty of 125s go North from Kings Cross every day. Pick a train with the ultimate destination beyond Edinburgh (Inverness, Aberdeen, Stirling) and you can be sure of one. York is 2 hours with the bonus of an interesting city to explore.

cactustwirly

Established Member

hexagon789

Veteran Member

To be slightly pedantic while they are being withdrawn from front-line passenger traffic, they will still be with ScotRail, GWR for likely at least a decade on regional services. Plus EMT and CrossCountry look set to retain their's for a little while at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.