• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plasser & Theurer Tampers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello.

I am ever so interested in the Plasser & Theurer tamping machines 08-16 4x4 C100 / C80 -RT and 08-16/32 U-RT.

http://www.plasser.co.uk/en/machines/08164x4c100rt.htm
http://www.plasser.co.uk/en/machines/081632urt.htm

They are incrediable machines i think, certainly a refreshing change from spotting locos and mu's :)

Would anyone know where you could obtain drawings of the two machine types and also how wide is there scope of use? I have seen Colas, Balfour Beatty, Amey, Carillian using them. Super machines, i would like to know more about them (on top of the usual google search and Plasser UK site) and what other members think of them?

Certainly a new thread, of a machine that rarely gets mentioned on this forum!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Timer

Established Member
May I suggest in the first instance, that you contact Plasser.

Plasser UK Ltd.
Sales Manager
Manor Road
West Ealing
London W13 0PP

I am sure they will be able to let you have some of the various brochures and documents they have.

They maintain the Amey rail fleet at West Ealing, so they may be willing to let you make a visit to the facility. You have nothing to lose by asking.

If you have no success there, then PM me and I will see if I can organise a visit to one of the Infrastructure Contractor's OTM depots.

There might also be an outside chance that you may be able to visit one working on site.

Hydro

Established Member
I've mainly worked with the 08 Compacts (your first example) and occasionally the earlier 07 series. The Compacts are good, couldn't tell you much technically about them but they do the job from what I saw. Certainly didn't need much coaxing to get good lift and line out of them. An operator may give you a different story though, I just followed them with a cross-level gauge.

Thanks for the replies. I shall get a letter off to Plasser this week. We are all so focused on freight and passanger rolling stock. The most interesting units get looked over. I might take up your offer, i shall see what i get off Plasser. :)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I think there was one of these at Larne Harbour station in Northern Ireland a few weeks back...

I didn't have any idea what it was :(

Attachments

• IMG_7977.jpg
    IMG_7977.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7973.jpg
    IMG_7973.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.