• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Platform bells to signal trains to passengers

Llanigraham

On Moderation
The bell at Yeovil Junction was a standard WR plunger on the block shelf, though what alerted the signalman to press it I have not found out. At Sherborne a warning bell was triggered by an approaching train (presumably by a track-circuit or treadle) that alerted that they must lower the crossing barriers.

Now known as an "annunciater"; we had one on the UP at Bromfield that sounded as the train left/passed Ludlow station, so warning us to start the proceedure to drop the barriers at the level crossing and then clear the route north to Onibury.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I have often heard the bell at Newbury and as recently as a few years ago; I think it was removed around the time the footbridge was replaced?

Glossop had a bell which sounded before the arrival of trains when I commuted from there in the ‘80s and 90’s. Maybe it still does?

robert thomas

Were (are) there platform bells at Neath?

This thread has prompted a memory of hearing occasional bells while waiting for trains there a decade ago, but I assumed they were part of a staff communication/notification system. I never associated them with the approach of trains!
No longer connected

billh

My similar thread back in 1917 refers:

Welshman

Established Member
I remember the 'weasel bell' on Doncaster station in the 1970s to call a porter to the barrier to do some 'weaseling' - a passenger needing assistance with luggage which would likely generate a tip.
Back in the day, there was a similar bell inside the ticket collectors' booth at Halifax station, which could also be used to summon assistance from down on the platforms in the event of the collector being faced with an aggressive passenger.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
One thing I miss on the modern railway....

Back in my schooldays, I used to frequent my local station a lot and the platform bell was always rung. At the time, I just assumed it was the "heads up" to passengers of a train arriving imminently. Just like the old school bell. I'm sure it was rung from the signalbox - one push on the plunger for an up train and two pushes for a down train - or vice-versa, can't remember which.

Now who remembers the whiney "annunciator" for trains arriving at Liverpool Street from the Electric lines.... :lol:

Taunton

Established Member
Now who remembers the whiney "annunciator" for trains arriving at Liverpool Street from the Electric lines....
Ah yes. Especially when stopped right alongside it, waiting for a platform. I think it was for limited clearance against the cutting wall on the bend.

May have been a late LNER (the old proper one) thing as there was a similar warning bell at the Kings Cross station throat, where a staff foot crossing went in front of the tunnels portals, with incoming trains suddenly emerging. Presumably track circuit operated.

Mike Machin

Yes, we certainly had a platform bell at my local station, Netley which was rung from the signal box - one ring for trains running towards Southampton/Salisbury and two for those travelling towards Fareham/Portsmouth. I was never sure if these were for the passengers or for the staff, but as the staff at any one time only consisted of either Ray or Chris in the ticket office, ably assisted by 'Mr Wilkins' for the morning rush, I don't know.

The ringing of the bell was certainly a feature of the station throughout my childhood in the 60s and daily travelling to college in the 70s, but it I moved away in the early 80s and it must have ceased when the signal box was removed.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You still hear the barrier bell which is used at Kings Cross and Liverpool Street for DOO trains, operated by the train dispatchers who hold down the bell and it rings continually. You often hear shorter pulses presumably to hurry people along.

D6130

Established Member
Right up to the closure of the Waverley Route in January 1969, there was an electric bell behind the bar in the Station Hotel at Hawick which was operated by the signalman in Hawick South box when a down passenger train passed his distant signal or an up train was offered on from Hawick North. This was particularly useful during times of disruption, when prospective passengers were alerted to drink up and cross the road back to the station!

WAB

You still hear the barrier bell which is used at Kings Cross and Liverpool Street for DOO trains, operated by the train dispatchers who hold down the bell and it rings continually. You often hear shorter pulses presumably to hurry people along.
Is it just DOO trains? I’m sure I’ve heard them being used for LNER services too.

I think Charing Cross had a bell when a train was signalled to leave. Was for the staff to pull barriers shut and thus stop passengers getting onto the platform and delaying the departure of slam door stock.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is it just DOO trains? I’m sure I’ve heard them being used for LNER services too.
I suppose there’s no reason why the dispatcher cannot press them for any train, they don’t do anything other than sounding an audible bell at the end of the platform, but I’ve never heard them used for anything other than the GNRailUK services at Kings +.

Last edited:

Ben Rhydding

Apperley Bridge, Calverley & Rodley and, I believe, most other local stations had a bell on the platform and a buzzer in the booking office. They were both sounded simultaneously from a button in the signal box. When the signalman got "train entering section" for a stopping train, he pressed this button once for platform 1, twice for platform 2 and so on up to 4. This was primarily to alert staff who, in those days, were supposed to attend the arrival of every train to assist passengers, collect tickets, deal with parcels and shut doors. There was a special note in the N E Region timetable for stations which didn`t have "staff in attendance". Five rings required station staff to contact the signal box. I suspect this may have been three at a station which only had two platforms. The bell also served to alert passengers to the imminent arrival but that, I think, was only a by-product. The bell only functioned when the station signal box was open.

When New Pudsey opened in 1967, it had staff attending every train but didn`t, at first, have a platform bell. But one did subsequently appear. It would now need research to determine whether this came from Stanningley following closure of that station and whether the New Pudsey bell disappeared upon the closure of Stanningley signal box.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
York pre-rationalisation had platform departure bells, I don’t know if they lasted right up to 1989 though. (My personal recollection starts around then and I don’t remember hearing them.)

Evident on this recording from 1977, listen from about 8:00 onwards. Platform 14 is the current platform 9, incidentally.

Welly

I think that there was usually a bell (I can't remember any specific pattern of 'dings') rung on the westbound (up?) platform at Lincoln (Central) when I used the station occasionally in the mid 90s.

I assumed it was from the signaller (before it was re-signalled) as a warning to station staff, rather than for benefit of passengers.
Yes - there was a bell at Lincoln that rang every time a train approached from either direction. I think it was permanently silenced during the 2008 re-signalling.

I recall gricing at a platform end of Clapham Junction during evening peak one day during the mid-1980s; I was impressed by the sheer volume of unit numbers to scribble down and also a bell constantly ringing, I assumed it was doing the same thing as the one at Lincoln did.

Roger1973

I think Charing Cross had a bell when a train was signalled to leave. Was for the staff to pull barriers shut and thus stop passengers getting onto the platform and delaying the departure of slam door stock.

Yes - think that happened at a few other London terminus stations (possibly just during the evening peak) - one of the platform staff would ring the 'barrier bell' (I'm not sure now if this was the official term, or my late father's term for it - he was a railway enthusiast not a railway worker) - presumably only when the signal cleared, and the ticket barrier staff would close the platform end barriers until the train was moving. This was still happening in the years I was commuting through Charing Cross round the end of the 80s / early 90s. It was quite surprising how quick they could do that without managing to catch any rushing commuters...

Similarly at suburban stations, the station staff would close the barrier on to the 'up' platform once the 'slam door' train was in the platform (this did not involve anyone ringing a bell)

At London Bridge (south eastern side) they didn't have that option.

I recall gricing at a platform end of Clapham Junction during evening peak one day during the mid-1980s; I was impressed by the sheer volume of unit numbers to scribble down and also a bell constantly ringing, I assumed it was doing the same thing as the one at Lincoln did.

I must have had gricing visits to Clapham Junction, although maybe slightly later in the 80s and mid-day or weekend rather than evening peak. I don't remember bells ringing, but that doesn't prove anything.

Last edited:

nw1

Established Member
Haslemere used to have one ring for one direction and two rings for the other direction, in the 80s.
I have the feeling it was the opposite of the platform numbers, i.e. P1 (down) was two rings, and P2 (up) was one ring, but not 100% sure. Would be around a minute before the train arrived.

Not sure if P3 used three bells or whether there was just a standard "up" bell: only about one train per day used P3 in those days as there was very little in the way of looping at Haslemere. Also not sure if there was a separate sound for the small number of trains passing through non-stop (all ICXC services).

When I lived in Petersfield in the mid-seventies there was an electric bell on the down platform adjacent to the foreman's office which was operated by the signaller. One ring for an up stopping train, two for a down stopping train and three for a non-stopper in either direction. Presumably the latter was to warn the staff against using the staff/barrow crossing.

Ah, ok, sounds very like Haslemere (see above). That might (or might not) confirm that one ring was up and two rings was down.

Was never on the platform when a non-stopper passed so never heard whether three rings was used, though.

Last edited:

Rescars

Bells announcing trains appear to have a long history. In Stokers and Pokers Sir Francis Head records the confusion caused for passengers on the LNWR between staff calling "Tring" and bells calling "ring"! That was in 1849.

Last edited:

Lewisham2221

Established Member
But how on earth did such bells inform passengers of how many carriages there were, which end first class was located, where the quiet coach was, or where to find the shop selling a delicious range of hot and cold drinks and snacks? Or remind them that tickets for the other operator on the same route were not valid? ;)

Ashley Hill

Established Member
But how on earth did such bells inform passengers of how many carriages there were, which end first class was located, where the quiet coach was, or where to find the shop selling a delicious range of hot and cold drinks and snacks? Or remind them that tickets for the other operator on the same route were not valid? ;)
By the time such bell codes gave that information the train would have left :lol:.

Rescars

Amazing what could be done when stations were fully staffed! For example:

"Oh Mr Porter, what shall I do?
I wanted to go to Birmingham, but they took me on to Crewe....!" :D

newtownmgr

There was a bell on the platform at Worcester Foregate Street last time I was there (a few years) ago. I assumed it was just somehow relaying a bell code from the signal box rather than being specifically intended for passengers, as it did quite a few rings in quick succession. It was definitely more accurate than the PIS display in indicating when a train was about to arrive.
Still there & in use.

Gloster

Established Member
Amazing what could be done when stations were fully staffed! For example:

"Oh Mr Porter, what shall I do?
I wanted to go to Birmingham, but they took me on to Crewe....!" :D

Oh, Mr Porter, what can I do
I wanted to go Birmingham
But they took me on to Crewe
They made me buy a new ticket as they just don’t care
And then they gave me a horrible penalty fare

nw1

Established Member
TBH, non-stopping trains through Haslemere were very rare except on Summer Saturdays.

There were one or two non-stop XC services per day on Mon-Sat from May 1982 to May 1987, and then the Mon-Fri 50-hauled Waterloo-Portsmouth express and v.v. until May 1989, which covers the period I used Haslemere most frequently.

I don't think I was ever on the platform when one of these passed through, though. You'd have to get the time right; one of the XC services left Portsmouth at 0805 for four years (1983-87), so it would pass through around 0845, with an up "82" (0850 from Haslemere, either a single CIG or single VEP depending on year) looped on Platform 3. I believe this was the only use of Platform 3 in this period.

D6130

Established Member
There were one or two non-stop XC services per day on Mon-Sat from May 1982 to May 1987, and then the Mon-Fri 50-hauled Waterloo-Portsmouth express and v.v. until May 1989, which covers the period I used Haslemere most frequently.

I don't think I was ever on the platform when one of these passed through, though. You'd have to get the time right; one of the XC services left Portsmouth at 0805 for four years (1983-87), so it would pass through around 0845, with an up "82" (0850 from Haslemere, either a single CIG or single VEP depending on year) looped on Platform 3. I believe this was the only use of Platform 3 in this period.
Were there not a couple of Haslemere starters in the morning peak which started from platform 3? There certainly were in the 'seventies when I was commuting regularly on the PDL. They were formed 12-CIG and ran emptiy from Fratton depot in the early hours.