• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plymouth Citybus

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveHarries

Established Member
PCB have announced more route changes for the 28th May. Some of these relate to the fact that Jacketts Coaches have pulled out of the local bus service market (or are to do so) which means that the 13 & 18 in Plymouth, along with the 283 around Liskeard, will be taken over by Plymouth Citybus.

PCB's service change notice for 28th May - https://www.plymouthbus.co.uk/news-service-updates/network-change-28th-may-2017/ - says that the 283 will be replaced by two routes numbered 76 & 77. No mention of the 13 & 18 being taken over by PCB although my understanding is that is what will happen.

Other routes affected by the changes are:

In Plymouth: 16, 25, 34, 34A & 71
Go Cornwall: 11, 11A, 12, 12A, 70, 71, 72, 73, 75, 76 (New), 77 (New), 78 (New)

HTIOI,
Dave

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
The 11/11A changeover point will move from Liskeard to Bodmin Parkway. It doesn't take much to work out why ;)

LAIRA

PCB have announced more route changes for the 28th May. Some of these relate to the fact that Jacketts Coaches have pulled out of the local bus service market (or are to do so) which means that the 13 & 18 in Plymouth, along with the 283 around Liskeard, will be taken over by Plymouth Citybus.

Jackett does not run the 18 it is run by Target Travel. The 13 is the only route operated in Plymouth by Jackett and he is using PCB 201.

DaveHarries

Established Member

Jackett does not run the 18 it is run by Target Travel. The 13 is the only route operated in Plymouth by Jackett and he is using PCB 201.
Cheers for the clarification. Some wally (not me) put on a bus forum that Jacketts had the 18.

Dave

richw

Veteran Member
Pcb/ Go cornwall have secured some Bodmin college contracts, and using Roselyn depot as a outstation for initially one vehicle to run fowey to Bodmin college. They are according to several drivers exploring starting other routes out of Bodmin to make use of the college buses the remainder of the day.
It of course sees them further into First territory with the college runs.
It's also one of the worst kept secrets about that they are looking to relocate the liskeard outstation into the Bodmin area. Liskeard is apparently not suitable for the growing brand.

LAIRA

PCB has received it first E400 City in Smokey grey and red livery, further vinyels to be applied. Reg No. WA17FSU fleetnumber unknown.

matt_splat

Pcb/ Go cornwall have secured some Bodmin college contracts, and using Roselyn depot as a outstation for initially one vehicle to run fowey to Bodmin college. They are according to several drivers exploring starting other routes out of Bodmin to make use of the college buses the remainder of the day.
It of course sees them further into First territory with the college runs.
It's also one of the worst kept secrets about that they are looking to relocate the liskeard outstation into the Bodmin area. Liskeard is apparently not suitable for the growing brand.

Why would you want a outstation in Bodmin for work that runs into Bodmin?

the 11A has had dead runs from Liskeard since it was taken on by PCB.

service 180 to Bude is one of the routes at a guess it could either spend the night in Bude or run back to the Launceston Outstation the company already have?

the 179 service starts at gunnislake at a guess this one would start from Plymouth?

the 174 starts close to Liskeard which would run from the current outstation.

172 service is Looe so again Liskeard could run easily.

and the 189 service makes sense to be out-stationed in Par

I can't see how moving things out to Bodmin would make any sense.

richw

Veteran Member
Why would you want a outstation in Bodmin for work that runs into Bodmin?

the 11A has had dead runs from Liskeard since it was taken on by PCB.

service 180 to Bude is one of the routes at a guess it could either spend the night in Bude or run back to the Launceston Outstation the company already have?

the 179 service starts at gunnislake at a guess this one would start from Plymouth?

the 174 starts close to Liskeard which would run from the current outstation.

172 service is Looe so again Liskeard could run easily.

and the 189 service makes sense to be out-stationed in Par

I can't see how moving things out to Bodmin would make any sense.

They are looking to expand further into Cornwall, and an outstation in Bodmin would make it viable. Not just college services.
The lease is due to expire (or already has) on the Liskeard depot, and it's now unsuitable for the volume of services. It is completely full at night.
As they have plans to expand further west it makes complete sense to find a new premises further to the west.

richw

Veteran Member
Interesting. I wonder where they are eyeing up.

Dave

Several liskeard based drivers Have openly discussed they believe a Bodmin to st Austell/Truro route is imminent.
It's been openly mentioned by several drivers without asking. The fact several different drivers have spoke of it made me believe it to have substance.

Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member
Bodmin - Newquay?
Wasn't Liskeard - Bodmin - NEwquay tried by Western Greyhound? I think it was but to what degree of success I don't know.

Several liskeard based drivers Have openly discussed they believe a Bodmin to st Austell/Truro route is imminent.
It's been openly mentioned by several drivers without asking. The fact several different drivers have spoke of it made me believe it to have substance.
Could be. One thing that could be experimented with would be Bodmin - Lostwithiel - St. Blazey - St. Austell perhaps, to which could be added journeys to Mevagissey and Gorran Haven?

Just a thought.
Dave

richw

Veteran Member
Wasn't Liskeard - Bodmin - NEwquay tried by Western Greyhound? I think it was but to what degree of success I don't know.

Could be. One thing that could be experimented with would be Bodmin - Lostwithiel - St. Blazey - St. Austell perhaps, to which could be added journeys to Mevagissey and Gorran Haven?

Just a thought.
Dave

I drove through lostwithiel yesterday and passed a once weekly Roselyn service going to Trago and it got me wondering what bus services the town has, and I couldn't find any. Lostwithiel has a fair amount of historic tourist atttractions so it somewhat surprised me the lack of buses

carlberry

Established Member
I drove through lostwithiel yesterday and passed a once weekly Roselyn service going to Trago and it got me wondering what bus services the town has, and I couldn't find any. Lostwithiel has a fair amount of historic tourist atttractions so it somewhat surprised me the lack of buses

Traveline gives First 228, Roselyn 296, Summercourt 482 and Gorran and District G4. Plus (possibly) a service to Asda at Bodmin. I assume the train takes a lot of the traffic.

83G/84D

Established Member
Traveline gives First 228, Roselyn 296, Summercourt 482 and Gorran and District G4. Plus (possibly) a service to Asda at Bodmin. I assume the train takes a lot of the traffic.

The train service is sporadic with long gaps at certain times of the day with no trains calling. There is no daily regular bus service serving the town AFAIK.

richw

Veteran Member

The 228 being a once daily college service. Not particularly useful to the majority.
Roselyn 296, is the Tuesday only Fowey to Trago.
gorran and district G4 is a once a month affair. The third Monday of every month gorran Haven to Plymouth.
I overlooked Summercourt, but it is a Wednesday only service.
All are one journey in each direction, outbound in the morning return in the afternoon.
So the people of lostwithiel can go Trago on a Tuesday, Bodmin on a Wednesday, Plymouth the third Monday of the month, or Truro any day as long as it's at the start of the college day, returning at the end.

Surely there is more demand than that?

83G/84D

Established Member
Problem is that a good proportion of the residents of Lostwithiel now manage without public transport to and from the town, and have done for many years.
Whilst a regular bus service of any sort might be welcomed how many people would use it on a regular basis? Possibly the people without cars and pensioners with bus passes but would that be enough incentive to make a bus operator consider running a service either commercial or supported. Would there be the demand and would it pay?

I doubt any operator would gamble on a service that night not work out but perhaps those with a better knowledge of services and the industry than me might disagree.

I am all for improved bus services in the county but perhaps it's best to concentrate on existing routes where an increase in journeys can be "more likely" to succeed.

The trains in Lostwithiel are not that well used by the residents of Lostwithiel except in the morning and evening peaks for commutes to and from work so what hope for a regular daily bus service?

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
PCB has received it first E400 City in Smokey grey and red livery, further vinyels to be applied. Reg No. WA17FSU fleetnumber unknown.

Putting the registration number in Google images gets a rather strange response!

Guess I'll have to wait and see what it looks like.

Last edited:

plymothian

First time I've looked at the network map for a while, and am surprised that Stagecoach buses are included. I've not seen many operators include competitors' routes, even jointly operated ones eg Sheffield.

richw

Veteran Member
First time I've looked at the network map for a while, and am surprised that Stagecoach buses are included. I've not seen many operators include competitors' routes, even jointly operated ones eg Sheffield.

My opinion is there is a cooperative. Pcb pulled from competing routes when stagecoach took over First. Tavistock cut back to just the Okehampton service, the A38 services cut back to just ivybridge.
Isn't the chief at Plymouth citybus a Stagecoach man?

Robertj21a

On Moderation
My opinion is there is a cooperative. Pcb pulled from competing routes when stagecoach took over First. Tavistock cut back to just the Okehampton service, the A38 services cut back to just ivybridge.
Isn't the chief at Plymouth citybus a Stagecoach man?

Surely not a co-operative.........don't you mean just a simple, accidental, coming together of common sense (probably on a golf course, or quiet pub).

:roll:

richw

Veteran Member
Surely not a co-operative.........don't you mean just a simple, accidental, coming together of common sense (probably on a golf course, or quiet pub).

:roll:

Nothing accidental about it. But don't tell the competition commissioner! :lol:

DaveHarries

Established Member
More changes from Plymouth Citybus wef 30-Jul-2017. Oddly they haven't done a full list of changes being made.

The changes will affect routes 5/5A, 21/21A, 34, 42/42A/42B/42C, 50/50A, 61 & 62.

Obvious changes:

- 5/5A (Saltash - Plymstock) curtailed to operate City Centre to Plymstock only with the section between City Centre and Saltash to become 4/4A which will operate one bus per hour each and form a bi-directional circular around parts of Saltash. 4 & 4A will be branded Green Flash as are Services 5 & 5A at the moment.

- 21/21A (Barne Barton to Plympton) I am a little less clear on. However the new timetable on the PCB website suggests these will be branded as "The Spark" (currently branded as Red Flash) and will offer Free WiFi, Phone Charging and Executive Seating. Sounds like new vehicles. Perhaps a few minor tweaks on the TT but I can't see any at first glance.

- 34 (City Centre - Estover - Derriford) seems to gain an additional route 34A which will be City Centre - Stonehouse (Union Street) - Royal William Yard. Service 34 will continue to operate via. Millbay Road.

- 42, 42A, 42B & 42C to be rebranded as Red Flash (currently the branding of Services 21 & 21A I believe) instead of Blue Flash. Not sure why - . Can't make out any revisions to the timetable or route of any of the four services in this group.

- 50, 50A & 51: same colour branding and I can't see any changes to the route so could be timetable tweaks only. New timetable on website so correct me if I am wrong.

- 61 & 62: Unsure of the changes here as the new TT is not yet on the PCB website.

HTIOI,
Dave

LAIRA

More changes from Plymouth Citybus wef 30-Jul-2017. Oddly they haven't done a full list of changes being made.

The changes will affect routes 5/5A, 21/21A, 34, 42/42A/42B/42C, 50/50A, 61 & 62.

Obvious changes:

- 5/5A (Saltash - Plymstock) curtailed to operate City Centre to Plymstock only with the section between City Centre and Saltash to become 4/4A which will operate one bus per hour each and form a bi-directional circular around parts of Saltash. 4 & 4A will be branded Green Flash as are Services 5 & 5A at the moment.

- 21/21A (Barne Barton to Plympton) I am a little less clear on. However the new timetable on the PCB website suggests these will be branded as "The Spark" (currently branded as Red Flash) and will offer Free WiFi, Phone Charging and Executive Seating. Sounds like new vehicles. Perhaps a few minor tweaks on the TT but I can't see any at first glance.

- 34 (City Centre - Estover - Derriford) seems to gain an additional route 34A which will be City Centre - Stonehouse (Union Street) - Royal William Yard. Service 34 will continue to operate via. Millbay Road.

- 42, 42A, 42B & 42C to be rebranded as Red Flash (currently the branding of Services 21 & 21A I believe) instead of Blue Flash. Not sure why - . Can't make out any revisions to the timetable or route of any of the four services in this group.

- 50, 50A & 51: same colour branding and I can't see any changes to the route so could be timetable tweaks only. New timetable on website so correct me if I am wrong.

- 61 & 62: Unsure of the changes here as the new TT is not yet on the PCB website.

HTIOI,
Dave

New sparkle branded buses to be launched on service 21/21A 5 delivered so far.
Red Flash buses moving to 42/42A/42B/42C no need to repaint. This service noe requires deckers for capcity reasons.
Blue Flash to become service 11/11A

DaveHarries

Established Member
New sparkle branded buses to be launched on service 21/21A 5 delivered so far.
Red Flash buses moving to 42/42A/42B/42C no need to repaint. This service noe requires deckers for capcity reasons.
Blue Flash to become service 11/11A
Thanks for the clarification. Deckers on the 11/11A as well?

Dave

Colly405

Don't forget the new 5B and 5C as a result of the rerouting of the 5 and 5A...

richw

Veteran Member
Blue Flash buses are 100-105 which are single deck. The11/11A will NEVER be deckers.

You spoke too soon. Enviro 400 worked 11 to liskeard after MTV last week, and one worked an early morning 11 today from liskeard to Plymouth!

Deckers worked a dupe for royal cornwall on the 11A with the dupe skipping Bodmin Parkway.

Status
Not open for further replies.