• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plymouth Citybus

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Easiest thing for PCB to do, if they can, would be to put a different bus into Pride colours. Our NHS heroes are, at the moment, rightly getting all the appreciation they deserve. Perhaps, on the other hand, the easiest thing for PCB to have done in the first place would have been to put the NHS livery onto a different bus but I don't think PCB were intending to be homaphobic.

Dave

They weren't being homophobic at all, intentionally or otherwise. It's an error of judgement borne of a lack of awareness of the symbolism of the flag.

I fully understand the reaction from people who think it's clusmy or crass or ill judged, and it is. However, homophobia is the display of a negative attitudes to the LGBTQ+ community. If they were of that mindset, they'd not have painted a bus in the first place.

I know the "ignorance is no defence" view is cited. However, there are people out there who are true polymaths (i.e. all knowing and all seeing of all cultures, religions, sexual orientation or beliefs) then we are all, by that definition racist, sexist, Islamophobic, homophobic etc.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baza585

They weren't being homophobic at all, intentionally or otherwise. It's an error of judgement borne of a lack of awareness of the symbolism of the flag.

I fully understand the reaction from people who think it's clusmy or crass or ill judged, and it is. However, homophobia is the display of a negative attitudes to the LGBTQ+ community. If they were of that mindset, they'd not have painted a bus in the first place.

I know the "ignorance is no defence" view is cited. However, there are people out there who are true polymaths (i.e. all knowing and all seeing of all cultures, religions, sexual orientation or beliefs) then we are all, by that definition racist, sexist, Islamophobic, homophobic etcwhich thete.
Spot on. A slight error by a no doubt hard pressed individual trying to do the right thing.

Meanwhile in the real world, tens of thousands of our fellow citizens are dying from a disease for which there is no known cure, and precious little treatment. Key workers are risking their lives on a daily basis and coming home in floods of tears at what they are having to deal with daily (I know because I live with one). Can't get too excited about stripes on a bus I'm afraid, but if you want to be offended by such things, then you will be.

richw

Veteran Member
A new PR disaster following the rainbow bus...
Citybus will not be imposing restrictions on passenger numbers according to Plymouth live. Comments on various Facebook posts says it all. I’m passing no comment as I’ll only be accused of bias, so enjoy the passenger comments instead

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A new PR disaster following the rainbow bus...
Citybus will not be imposing restrictions on passenger numbers according to Plymouth live. Comments on various Facebook posts says it all. I’m passing no comment as I’ll only be accused of bias, so enjoy the passenger comments instead

I don't see that as a PR disaster at all. The driver's discretion is being used, which, as most drivers are sensible, rational beings as I'm sure you agree, will allow on occasion more passengers on a bus than at other times, whereas a blanket 25% loaded limit might prevent a group of people travelling together and having to wait for the next bus, perhaps an hour hence.People being left behind at bus stops, whether by Stagecoach, First, PCB or GCB will all take to social media, that being the nature of the beast.

richw

Veteran Member
I don't see that as a PR disaster at all. The driver's discretion is being used, which, as most drivers are sensible, rational beings as I'm sure you agree, will allow on occasion more passengers on a bus than at other times, whereas a blanket 25% loaded limit might prevent a group of people travelling together and having to wait for the next bus, perhaps an hour hence.People being left behind at bus stops, whether by Stagecoach, First, PCB or GCB will all take to social media, that being the nature of the beast.
Agree to an extent, but social media comments is where I’m engaging it being a disaster. Close to 100 comments pleading with them to tape off rows like stagecoach... that’s their comparison in Plymouth

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Agree to an extent, but social media comments is where I’m engaging it being a disaster. Close to 100 comments pleading with them to tape off rows like stagecoach... that’s their comparison in Plymouth
But those people will be the first to complain when the bus sails past, making them late for work or getting home, especially when it eventually rains again! Just human nature, I'm afraid!

CM

When are people going to realise that taping off seats on buses and trains is totally pointless and will not prevent the spread of the virus. When people get on/off buses they normally push the stop buttons and then walk down to the front of the bus, touching the grab poles in the process. If a bus is out in service from say 6 am - 11 pm then who knows how many people have been touching the grab poles, buttons etc.

carlberry

Established Member
When are people going to realise that taping off seats on buses and trains is totally pointless and will not prevent the spread of the virus. When people get on/off buses they normally push the stop buttons and then walk down to the front of the bus, touching the grab poles in the process. If a bus is out in service from say 6 am - 11 pm then who knows how many people have been touching the grab poles, buttons etc.
Which is why everybody is advised to wash their hands regularly.

richw

Veteran Member
We have cleaners dotted around the network at First Kernow, and have also been issued with sanitiser and cleaning kits as drivers to ensure all touch points are regularly cleaned. I’ve got sealed bags of wipes and gloves here to dispose appropriate at the end of my shift in the new hazard bin at the depot.
My buses for the past 3 months have been internally cleaned on an hourly basis,

Hophead

Established Member
I'm guessing that survey is being rolled out across the GoAhead companies, as Metrobus and Brighton & Hove have recently been in touch with a similar message.

carlberry

Established Member
Plymouth City Coach to close down:

City Coach website

We are deeply sorry for the disappointment and sadness this will cause our customers.

The company has been operating since the 1980s but has fallen victim to the financial repercussions of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Plymouth Citycoach had to suspend its programme of day trips and holidays in March for safety reasons and had already cancelled all holidays and trips up to and including this September. Staff have been working remotely to refund customers in full for their cancelled holidays and trips and the process of refunding all bookings is still underway and will take some weeks.

Plymouth Citycoach operated as a member of Bonded Coach Holidays, with adherence to its charter and strict financial procedures and all monies will be refunded to customers in due course.

The closure of Plymouth Citycoach potentially affected seven staff and will unfortunately result in the loss of six jobs, as during the redundancy consultation process with staff, one offer of alternative employment within Plymouth Citybus was taken up.

The closure is the result of the severe financial pressure the entire coaching industry has come under over the last three months. The loss of passenger booking income, remaining overheads such as coach maintenance, insurance and depreciation costs for its fleet and the potential introduction of social distancing measures reducing coach capacities, has eroded the viability of the business.

Plymouth Citybus MD Richard Stevens commented:

'We are devasted that we have had to make this decision and deeply regret the loss of the jobs of our colleagues, all loyal and long-serving staff, but we were faced with no other option due to the effects of the pandemic.

'I would like to thank most sincerely our customers for their support for Plymouth Citycoach over many years and I do appreciate that they will feel the loss of holiday and breaks programme very keenly.'

Customer refunds with be dealt with by Plymouth Citybus staff, in date order of holiday and customers do not need to make contact with the company at this point. Please be patient, we are working as hard as we can to refund many bookings and please rest assured we will get to yours.

Emergency e mail contact can be made via: [email protected] or on 01752 662271.

Thank you again for your valued past support and for your patience and understanding during these difficult times.

*Mod note* please always remember to include a quotation from any external sources

Last edited by a moderator:

laira 2

477 LK56EUB previously Go Ahead London E54 entered service last week still in London red and still dual doored.

DaveHarries

Established Member
In regards the repainting of the Pride bus referred to earlier in this thread I was in Plymouth on 30-Jun-2020 and there was a rainbow-liveried double-decker on Royal Parade working Service 50. Not sure when it was put into those colours.

Dave

LAIRA

Former Brighton
629 633-636 643 645 648 649 665 are now all in Plymouth.

DaveHarries

Established Member
On the tendered services front the website of Plymouth City Council states that Services 13 (CIty Centre - Saltash Passage), 14 (City Centre - Derriford Hospital), 17 (Plymstock - Hooe), 18 (Plymstock - Elburton) and 39 (City Centre - Hartley Vale) will pass from Stagecoach Southwest to Plymouth Citybus: timetables show on TravelineSW as being effective 04-Jan-2021.

In terms of changes, it seems that Service 32 will cease (there is no TT for it on TSW at present and none currently listed from 04-Jan-2021). Services 17 & 18 will again serve the City Centre but are reduced in frequency to give one bus every 2 hours whereas both are currently hourly. Service 18 also gets another route change in the Elburton area.

-Colly405-

Changes now on PCB website. WEF 4/9/22.

Key points (other than minor timing changes and random withdrawn journeys):
21B new Saturdays only City - St Budeaux
27 City - Lr Compton - Shallowford - Austin Cres - Mainstone - Asda - Wrigleys - George P&R. Hourly M-S daytimes
28 City - Hr Compton - Deer Park - Culver Way - Crownhill - Manadon - Brake Farm - Transit Way - runs through to 61 (Every 30 mins. M-S daytimes only).
34 rerouted to replaced 34A
34A replaced with rerouted 34
35/35A via Weston Pk Rd to replace 61/62
36 new contract ex-Stagecoach
41 via Peverell Pk Rd to replace 35/35A, extended to Royal Parade
50/51 Saturdays to go into Transit Way
61 City - Milehouse - Peverell Cnr - St Pancras - Honicknowle - West Park - Transit Way - runs through to 28. Sunday daytime via Sheridan Rd (as there is no Sunday 28)
62 withdrawn
75A withdrawn in Plymouth

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Citybus are also taking over the Devon council area tenders currently operated by Oakleys. (Plymouth city council retenders not public yet)

MarkC

Citybus are also taking over the Devon council area tenders currently operated by Oakleys. (Plymouth city council retenders not public yet)
Plymouth tenders not up for renewal until 2026. Citybus continue with theirs, Stagecoach 19 and 31 plus Oakleys on 52. The 31 will provide additional hourly servuce along Peverell Park Road, 9am till.5pm a bit more useful than the 41 which only operates 9am to 2pm

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Plymouth tenders not up for renewal until 2026. Citybus continue with theirs, Stagecoach 19 and 31 plus Oakleys on 52. The 31 will provide additional hourly servuce along Peverell Park Road, 9am till.5pm a bit more useful than the 41 which only operates 9am to 2pm
Oakleys surrendered the 52 due to increased costs. Haven’t seen the result yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.