• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poll: What are your thoughts on travelling on Pendolinos?

Do you like Class 390 Pendolinos?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

aar0

As a point of order Mr TT-ONR-NRN, would the plural of Pendolino not be Pendolini? As with panini?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

neilb62

Wong, look at the windows on pendos elsewhere in Europe. The windows are taller, but the width is the same. It is a design "feature".

So why did we suddenly have a bunch of RT bods suddenly turn-up at Asfordby measuring windows and quoting crash regs? They were probably the same ones who wanted 390's banned from the infrastructure due to the 'unswept area' the windscreen wipers leave at the top on the windscreen, the area you can barely see from the Drivers seat! My impression was RT didn't ever want 390 in its infrastructure hence the 'jumping through hoops' nonsense we had to go through with them including the wrong way tilting tests that has never been asked for before or since anywhere. I drove one of those and it was dam'd scary, the Italian Technicians being pretty pee'd off about the whole thing too....

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There was at the time a "war" between VT and Railtrack about delivery/non-delivery of PUG2, wasn't there? So people will have been looking for any justification to trip the other side up.

neilb62

There was at the time a "war" between VT and Railtrack about delivery/non-delivery of PUG2, wasn't there? So people will have been looking for any justification to trip the other side up.
Very much so, I remember the whole project being a couple of hours from being shelved....

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Very much so, I remember the whole project being a couple of hours from being shelved....

TBH I think the 125mph railway we got is fine, generally speaking, and having scoped the project for that from day one would have delivered something decent, a load cheaper and perfectly acceptable pre-HS2.

Mordac

Established Member
TBH I think the 125mph railway we got is fine, generally speaking, and having scoped the project for that from day one would have delivered something decent, a load cheaper and perfectly acceptable pre-HS2.
In a way though, it's a shame they never went for simple ETCS level 2 from the get-go, then we could actually have them running at their design speed, instead of faffing about with moving block stuff.

spookywestie

Terrible trains, run by a terrible company. Only benefit they've brought is reduced journey times, but I'd rather travel in comfort and the journey be a few minutes longer than be crammed in a metal tube with poor ride quality, loud air con and slits for windows.

Darandio

Established Member
Terrible trains, run by a terrible company. Only benefit they've brought is reduced journey times, but I'd rather travel in comfort and the journey be a few minutes longer than be crammed in a metal tube with poor ride quality, loud air con and slits for windows.

I presume from this you aren't a fan then? Terrible trains and a terrible company, TT-ONR-NRN is gonna love you. :lol:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O SPLUTTER

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I suppose you'd rather be stuck in the past with ancient locomotives and a railway that everyone looks down on unfavourably because Britain still acts as if it is in the 20th century while the rest of Europe are flashing around the high speed rails on brand new modern trains which get you from A to B in no time at all. :s What with the HSTs and awful ex BR EMUs this country is behind as it is, some people need to accept that times are changing! Yes, there used to only be loco hauled trains on mainline routes. There also used to be no TVs or Computers in the past. There also used to be a death penalty in Britain in the past. There used to be no known cures for diseases in the past. The death toll was higher in the past. :rolleyes:

With modernisation the world improves. :|:s

superalbs

Established Member
I concur, normally I will value comfort over journey times. Would much prefer a Mk3 with a GWR style refresh over a Pendolino or (especially) a Voyager.

Journey times and frequency have benefitted a lot under them however, and some may prefer this to comfort (for whatever reason).

spookywestie

I suppose you'd rather be stuck in the past with ancient locomotives and a railway that everyone looks down on unfavourably because Britain still acts as if it is in the 20th century while the rest of Europe are flashing around the high speed rails on brand new modern trains which get you from A to B in no time at all. :s What with the HSTs and awful ex BR EMUs this country is behind as it is, some people need to accept that times are changing! Yes, there used to only be loco hauled trains on mainline routes. There also used to be no TVs or Computers in the past. There also used to be a death penalty in Britain in the past. There used to be no known cures for diseases in the past. The death toll was higher in the past. :rolleyes:

Because I listed what I felt is wrong with Pendolinos, therefore I am against modernisation and would rather travel around in dated trains? How does that work?

superalbs

Established Member

Intercity trains don't have to be loco-hauled, but most (all?) incidents where loco-hauled/HST sets were replaced with units, the passenger has ended up with a poorer on-board experience.

In my view anyway. :D

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Because I listed what I felt is wrong with Pendolinos, therefore I am against modernisation and would rather travel around in dated trains? How does that work?
Because with regards to your post:

If a train does not have air con it is dated. (If it is not noisy it is probably rubbish)

The Windows are hardly slits are they, they aren't much smaller than many other trains. Even so they are smaller to achieve modern day 140mph tilting, plus how many people complain about too much daylight? In this modern world many people use early morning trains and or electronic devices and who wants a beaming sunbeam for that?

Metal tube? Please do elaborate!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Also if you check the poll you will find out you are largely out voted.

Your opinion though, I accept that!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Lol and we all know how often that happens. :)

So? He should change his opinion because a poll says it's rare? Mad.

I said I accepted it not that s/he should change it! And with regards to the comment about speed that's once again down to the dated style of Britain's railways.

I eagerly anticipate HS2.

spookywestie

Because with regards to your post:

If a train does not have air con it is dated. (If it is not noisy it is probably rubbish)

The Windows are hardly slits are they, they aren't much smaller than many other trains. Even so they are smaller to achieve modern day 140mph tilting, plus how many people complain about too much daylight? In this modern world many people use early morning trains and or electronic devices and who wants a beaming sunbeam for that?

Metal tube? Please do elaborate!

You'll probably jump on this example as another way to accuse me of liking things depending on age, but Mk3s have very effective aircon and are virtually silent.

I'm yet to find a train with smaller passenger windows than the pendolino. 140mph tilting? Yeah that happened didn't it. :lol: Besides, not sure how the size of a window affects an object's aerodynamics, providing it's flush with the body, as most windows are.

As for the tube comment, probably seems bigger to you as after all, you are a child.

Also if you check the poll you will find out you are largely out voted.

Your opinion though, I accept that!

I don't care, I'm not changing my opinion because some people don't happen to agree.

DanNCL

Established Member
I quite like the Pendolinos; I'd happily use one instead of a HST or some other loco hauled train (unless it's a 225; they've quite easily got to be my favorite Intercity trains) Though I do think that the windows are a bit too small, but that's the only thing I don't like about them.

D365

Veteran Member
I’ve got two hours on a Pendolino this week - would far rather it was a Voyager.

Sums up my opinion really.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
You'll probably jump on this example as another way to accuse me of liking things depending on age, but Mk3s have very effective aircon and are virtually silent.
I will accuse you of nothing, although I disagree I did start this thread to ask your opinion. I also have nothing against older trains as I very much like a Mark 4s.
I'm yet to find a train with smaller passenger windows than the pendolino. 140mph tilting? Yeah that happened didn't it.
:lol: Once again, it would have done were it not for the dated position of the UK's railways! Geez, and I thought Canada had dodgy railways! The Shinkansen is one with smaller windows (aeroplane style)
Besides, not sure how the size of a window affects an object's aerodynamics, providing it's flush with the body, as most windows are.
The size of the window does affect speed, this is why the Shinkansen has aeroplane style windows. People don't seem to complain about those though!

As for the tube comment, probably seems bigger to you as after all, you are a child.
Well, yes I suppose, but only for two and a half more years so I call that an unfair comment especially as I am certainly not short!

I don't care, I'm not changing my opinion because some people don't happen to agree.
Good, I would not want you to do that in the slightest .

Z 8-)

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I’ve got two hours on a Pendolino this week - would far rather it was a Voyager.

Sums up my opinion really.

Hmm. Well, if you want a downgrade from eleven coaches to five than that's your opinion. Are you travelling First or Standard because if you are in first I find this opinion even more bizarre!

Cheap seat covers.
Reduced catering.
One first class carriage as opposed to four.
Etc.

gsnedders

Established Member
In a way though, it's a shame they never went for simple ETCS level 2 from the get-go, then we could actually have them running at their design speed, instead of faffing about with moving block stuff.
Strongly agreed; much less ambitious (though still somewhat—would've made it a very early implementation of ETCS!), and probably would've avoided a lot of wasted time and money on all the moving block work.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
They are great for the travelling public, plenty of capacity, WiFi, plug sockets,...

The complete lack of plug sockets on (Standard class) airline seats in 390s is one of their biggest drawbacks!

Status
Not open for further replies.