• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poll: Which railway company is your favourite at the moment?

Which railway company is your favourite at the moment?

• Northern Trains

Votes: 27 5.6%
  • Tyne and Wear Metro

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Merseyrail

Votes: 22 4.5%
  • Trans-Pennine Express

Votes: 41 8.5%
  • Hull Trains

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • East Midlands Railway

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • West Midlands Trains

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • London North Eastern Railway

Votes: 86 17.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Cross Country

Votes: 14 2.9%
  • Greater Anglia

Votes: 35 7.2%
  • Chiltern Railways

Votes: 25 5.2%
  • London Overground

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • London Underground

Votes: 13 2.7%
  • Southeastern

Votes: 25 5.2%
  • Great Northern/ Southern/ Thameslink/ Gatwick Express

Votes: 22 4.5%
  • Manchester Metrolink

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Heathrow Express

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grand Central

Votes: 10 2.1%
  • C2C (Coast to City in Essex)

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Great Western Railway

Votes: 59 12.2%
  • South Western Railway

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • Supertram

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Transport for Wales Rail

Votes: 13 2.7%
  • Scotrail

Votes: 21 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
This poll is asking for you to vote for your favourite train company from your own personal experience.
Preferably any company operating services on the English, Scottish, and Welsh national network, which you have used within the last five years, or it's successor company.
The reasons you give, if you choose to, are your own and are always considered valid as far as this thread is concerned, no rubbishing someone else's view that rolling stock, or the customer service on a particular train operator is better.

Please note, the poll feature has a limit of twenty-five options, so I couldn't include every company running on the network, so heritage train companies like North Yorkshire Moors Railway, international limited stop train companies like Eurostar, Lumo, Caledonian Sleeper, and also DLR, TFL Rail, are absent from this list, so please vote for your second choice if your favourite is missing from the list.
For those members of this forum from anywhere else, feel free to say which train companies are your favourites in the comments.

Many Thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I'm not going to vote, because I think there are enormous faults with each one at present and therefore I have no favourite. I was a fan of Virgin Trains and then Avanti West Coast prior to the COVID-19 outbreak, due to an appreciation for the rolling stock, high frequencies and first class service. Sadly, Avanti have replaced first in most carriages with standard premium, run down the remaining first class service, reduced the frequency of trains beyond belief and I have had several foul experiences with them recently.

Gloster

Established Member
Should there be a ‘None of the Above’ option? Also known as ‘They are all equally...’

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Should there be a ‘None of the Above’ option? Also known as ‘They are all equally...’
I know what you mean, and although I would love for that option at the ballot box, on this poll just don't cast a vote if you do not have any preference for the choices, and leave a comment saying they are all equally awesome / awful.
However, in your case, you could vote for the train company you travelled on the least, if they are all equally bad, than having less experience with one train company is a good thing. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It would have been EMT/R for the last decade or so, but unfortunately things ain't what they used to be.

I've put in South Eastern. Good coverage, regular services that run reasonably late and it's easy to get a seat. Electrostatic are pretty decent. Still quite pricey though, but if I lived nearer I could probably justify a network card.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It would have been EMT/R for the last decade or so, but unfortunately things ain't what they used to be.

I've put in South Eastern. Good coverage, regular services that run reasonably late and it's easy to get a seat. Electrostatic are pretty decent. Still quite pricey though, but if I lived nearer I could probably justify a network card.
Yes, while SouthEastern aren’t my personal favourite, I find it hard to fault their Mainline and High Speed services. I agree that they’re fast, modern and comfortable. Just a shame the filthy Networkers let the side down a little.

Going back to my favourite, I enjoy travelling with Avanti West Coast the most, due to my preference of a Pendolino over any other stock, but if they continue to run the service down I won’t be happy. Eurostar is another favourite, but I’m disappointed with the lack of a Marseille service for the third year running which I badly wanted to take, and the “package only” operation of this year’s Ski train. They’re also rather silly with their mask enforcement, as seen from a somewhat popular ES Train Manager’s Twitter, who goes so far as to even berate passengers who eat on the train and say they cannot wear their masks as a result. I don’t care for such OTT rules.

Can I recommend a least favourite TOC? I would relish hitting the Transport for Wales button hard.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, while SouthEastern aren’t my personal favourite, I find it hard to fault their Mainline and High Speed services. I agree that they’re fast, modern and comfortable. Just a shame the filthy Networkers let the side down a little.

Going back to my favourite, I enjoy travelling with Avanti West Coast the most, due to my preference of a Pendolino over any other stock, but if they continue to run the service down I won’t be happy. Eurostar is another favourite, but I’m disappointed with the lack of a Marseille service for the third year running which I badly wanted to take, and the “package only” operation of this year’s Ski train. They’re also rather silly with their mask enforcement, as seen from a somewhat popular ES Train Manager’s Twitter, who goes so far as to even berate passengers who eat on the train and say they cannot wear their masks as a result. I don’t care for such OTT rules.

Can I recommend a least favourite TOC? I would relish hitting the Transport for Wales button hard.

I don't bother with their high speed, but the main line services are a wonderful way to get around Kent.

Strathclyder

Established Member
ScotRail, mainly because they're the only ones I've travelled with any frequency over the the last few years irrespective of the franchise operator. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but could be far, far worse at the same time.

(sits back and waits for the howls of outrage)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Picked TPE, because they seem to be the only TOC that realise that the quality "look and feel" of the product, and the quality of that soft product (Fainsa Sophias aside, but I'm thinking stuff like the 397's high number of tables and window alignment that people like) is important. Almost no other TOC/DfT seems to genuinely care about this, with stark interiors and overbright blue lighting being common. They also, unlike their dim past, have pushed to keep a high level of rolling stock to manage overcrowding.

It'd have been Virgin Trains before, but Avanti are now one of the worst. As the staff were pretty much all TUPEd over, there is clearly a serious management problem.

Similarly Chiltern under M40 Trains would have been highly rated, but Arriva have run them into the ground. And LM were great (mostly), but LNR just adequate.

Llandudno

Established Member
Hopefully in a few years time I will be able to tick the TfW box…

Well that’s what the Welsh politicians keep trying to tell us!

fgwrich

Established Member
LNER. Despite their fleet, they’ve been a pleasure to travel with, and were fairly quick to deal with a delay repay for me. Despite the current TOC situation, they have announced they are to restore a full timetable before any of the DfT led TOCs have and seem to still be innovating.

The worst. Easy:

South Western Railway.

(I have now reached the point where I’d either like to see them become an OLR operation or to bring back Stagecoach)

LUYMun

There doesn't seem to be an option for Southern, so I'll write my answer here instead. Their mainstay 377s are smooth and fast, and their services are very frequent, despite what many have said during the strikes several years ago.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
There doesn't seem to be an option for Southern, so I'll write my answer here instead. Their mainstay 377s are smooth and fast, and their services are very frequent, despite what many have said during the strikes several years ago.
There is, it’s GTR. Southern isn’t a Train Operating Company.

jamesst

London Overground. Its really turned round the fortunes of some lines that were once badly run down and neglected.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
London Overground. Its really turned round the fortunes of some lines that were once badly run down and neglected.

Indeed. It in essence created the "Merseyrail magic"* in London, which its local heavy rail services have never really had before.

* Not magic, but the simplicity - self contained, regular interval, well-maintained (mostly) and well-secured.

najaB

Veteran Member
Of course, the "problem" with a poll like this is that most members will have a local train company that they use regularly and may rarely or never experienced any others. In my case most train journeys I make involve Scotrail, whereas I've never once used the Manchester Metrolink. So I'm not sure what use the results will actually be.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Picked TPE, because they seem to be the only TOC that realise that the quality "look and feel" of the product, and the quality of that soft product (Fainsa Sophias aside, but I'm thinking stuff like the 397's high number of tables and window alignment that people like) is important. Almost no other TOC/DfT seems to genuinely care about this, with stark interiors and overbright blue lighting being common. They also, unlike their dim past, have pushed to keep a high level of rolling stock to manage overcrowding.

It'd have been Virgin Trains before, but Avanti are now one of the worst. As the staff were pretty much all TUPEd over, there is clearly a serious management problem.

Similarly Chiltern under M40 Trains would have been highly rated, but Arriva have run them into the ground. And LM were great (mostly), but LNR just adequate.

TPE have definitely upped their game over the last couple of years. Slipped back recently a little bit with those short forms though.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
TPE have definitely upped their game over the last couple of years.

Certainly. All the way from "avoid" to "actually aim to use". A bit like Heathrow Airport.

Edit: and it's not just because of LHCS, as some might do - I actually think their fleet should have been all-80x. Though I do think the Mk5a 1st is quite special and really does feel premium, while in the 80x it's just average.

Slipped back recently a little bit with those short forms though.

True, though I think some of those are due to long distance trains having to stop at local stations with short platforms and no proper SDO on the 185s.

Last edited:

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Fascinating how Chiltern has slipped. A few years ago you could lay money on them being the top-rated. I would tend to agree with @Bletchleyite that they've been Arriva'd.

miklcct

On Moderation
I have voted for Thameslink, while London Overground and TfL Rail are some good candidates as well. The main reason is that it's service as good as a urban metro system, but without the negatives associated with London Underground such as small cabin space or inability to use mobile network. However, the poll lists Southern / Gatwick Express / Thameslink as one, but I only like Thameslink not Southern or Gatwick Express.

I hope that Elizabeth Line can be as good in the future.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Certainly. All the way from "avoid" to "actually aim to use". A bit like Heathrow Airport.

Edit: and it's not just because of LHCS, as some might do - I actually think their fleet should have been all-80x. Though I do think the Mk5a 1st is quite special and really does feel premium, while in the 80x it's just average.

True, though I think some of those are due to long distance trains having to stop at local stations with short platforms and no proper SDO on the 185s.

That could be the case, although it does also happen on the Hull - Man Pic services which have been six carriages in the past.

miklcct

On Moderation
Indeed. It in essence created the "Merseyrail magic"* in London, which its local heavy rail services have never really had before.

* Not magic, but the simplicity - self contained, regular interval, well-maintained (mostly) and well-secured.
This is what I'm looking for as an ideal in rail travel, and I hope that every line in Great Britain can be as good as this - self contained, regular interval, and reliable.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
CrossCountry - I’m aware there are (many!) issues with them, and others on other routes aren’t as fortunate, but I use them frequently on the Manchester - Birmingham route (and sometimes to Cornwall) & they’ve always got me from A to B.

Sometimes very late, occasionally three hours or more late, (and once or twice standing for the whole way between Manc and Brum) but I’ve always got the delay repay I was entitled to off them.

YMMV of course.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Find it interesting that GWR is second yet nobody has posted as to why!

Also given how much slack 80x stock gets on these forums that the two operators which most extensively use them are currently ranked 1 & 2.

I personally find it difficult to pick one considering they serve very different markets and I would suggest have differing expectations.

miklcct

On Moderation
CrossCountry - I’m aware there are (many!) issues with them, and others on other routes aren’t as fortunate, but I use them frequently on the Manchester - Birmingham route (and sometimes to Cornwall) & they’ve always got me from A to B.

Sometimes very late, occasionally three hours or more late, (and once or twice standing for the whole way between Manc and Brum) but I’ve always got the delay repay I was entitled to off them.

YMMV of course.
I think South Western Railway is much better than CrossCountry. South Western Railway runs electric trains instead of diesel. The train layout is more spacious, allowing more passengers to squeeze onto the train. I can receive GPS on SWR trains but not CrossCountry, which is a great comfort to me as I always know where I am on board a SWR train. It offers a more frequent service on my local line as well. I'm always delighted to see a SWR train to carry me home rather than a CrossCountry. Furthermore, the existence of CrossCountry trains prevents me to use Semi-flex fares for my days out because they are marked SWR only, but CrossCountry doesn't provide similar offering.

Furthermore, last year when I encountered a delay on CrossCountry, a signalling fault which delayed the train by less than half an hour into Southampton, turned up to be more than an hour arriving Birmingham, while SWR trains seldom encounter such kinds of delay.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
"Great Northern/ Southern/ Thameslink/ Gatwick Express" is the 16th option, sorry, I had intended to include them all individually but the limitation of 25 options allowed on a poll would of reduced the poll scope by removing Supertram, Transport for Wales, and Scotrail.
Sorry for the issue.
I've ticked LNER, but the option I wanted to tick was missing (Lumo).
Lumo and Eurostar appeared to run less services, so was cut as the smaller operator, sorry about this.
I have voted for Thameslink, while London Overground and TfL Rail are some good candidates as well. The main reason is that it's service as good as a urban metro system, but without the negatives associated with London Underground such as small cabin space or inability to use mobile network. However, the poll lists Southern / Gatwick Express / Thameslink as one, but I only like Thameslink not Southern or Gatwick Express.
Thanks for the comment, I assumed those different railways would of been largely similar, interesting to know there are differences in quality, again sorry for the combined option.

Status
Not open for further replies.