Popular traction - is this a thing? (and similar discussion)

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by Peter C, 12 Jun 2019.

1. Justapunter

Justapunter Member

I can still picture the mocked up tombstone for the Deltics on the cover of Rail. “Died of acute HST fever.”

People were resentful to call them locos. At a time the Westerns and Deltics, and even the 50s were almost deified. They were multiple units. Ubiquitous. Boring. And characterless.....

2. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

Oh, I can imagine !

3. JohnMcL7

JohnMcL7 Member

I don't know why I like the 37 although it's possible it's because it was the first locomotive I was familiar with as they were regulars at Inverness station. That said I do like the 47's as well which seemed special compared to the 37's as they were a rarer sight and they could haul the sleeper on their own whereas the 37's needed to run in a pair. I don't think it's as simple as old and new as I do like the new 68's and keen to see how the current locomotives being tendered turn out.

Not really fussed about DMU's of any era.

4. delticdave

delticdave Member

Agreed........
    Used to watch them lifting the sleepers out of Kings X many years ago, always impressed.

5. Neptune

Neptune Member

I grew up with loco-hauled and DMU’s in the late 70’s early 80’s so that is the era I have my railway affection for. I also had a liking for HST’s as they were brand new and I had no idea of history at the time (locos replaced etc....). Growing up in West Yorkshire Deltics were my favourite with smaller classes such as 25’s and 31’s also high up my likes list. A holiday to Dawlish in 1982 brought my love of 50’s to the fore. I also have a great affection for 1st gen DMU’s, especially class 110’s and later, even pacers as they were rolled out brand new to the area.

With regards to the modern railway I look at it totally differently especially as I have worked in the industry for 20 years. It is a business with which I have no affection. Working on the railway beats out that affection and many of my colleagues have found the same. If I had my time again I wouldn’t work in the industry. I would prefer the rose tinted nostalgia untouched by working in todays toxic industry.

6. Harbornite

Harbornite Established Member

I call 47s duffs (despite not having seen them in BR days etc) but it's an ironic nickname as they're one of my favourite classes, along with 37s.

People basically like what they grew up with and there seems to be a preference for smaller classes; However I'm not really with that, give me a 66 over a 58 any day. Same applies to classes 24, 25 etc, I've never really cared about them.

7. KingDaveRa

KingDaveRa Member

All traction is interesting! Granted, 66s are a bit boring because they're pretty much everywhere, but I'm happy to see anything trundle by!

8. Harbornite

Harbornite Established Member

To an extent, would rather see locomotives than multiple units at the end of the day.

9. Neptune

Neptune Member

Knottingley depot in the 80’s & 90’s was a wonderful place. All those fantastic type 5’s in varying BR liveries from plain blue through to railfreight coal sector.

I absolutely loved going there but now it is an empty shell. So sad how British industry has been allowed to decline.

10. hooverboy

hooverboy Member

true. I think people were certainly more fond of loco's because each type has it's own characteristics(certainly in terms of engine sound and thrash).

multiple units and the southern 4xxx sets all looked pretty samey

11. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

I wouldn't claim it to be a 'popular' view, but IMO the Southern 4** and 2** unit types all had their own ambience. The thumpers sounded lovely as well.

12. 43096

43096 Established Member

No they don’t. Unreliable, droning junk.

13. hexagon789

hexagon789 Established Member

Still are I would say. Ditto Deltics (Class 55), which were as popular at the end of their careers as now whereas some classes I think have increased in popularity since general withdrawal.

I prefer 47s as well; 37s do seem more popular generally though.

They all have their individual points of interest, I just happen to prefer certain cases to others but that doesn't mean I refuse to look at/look up other classes as some people might be so inclined.

14. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    and equally as boring! It is all personal taste and extremely subjective.

That said I do find some very obsessive train spotters out there who seem to have a vehement dislike of a particular type of train which they then describe with the silly terminology these people seem to have to rely on to communicate. I find it both funny and quite sad.

And don't get me started on the sound/ paint wibblers and the affected nicknames. Tiresome.

that kind of affectation drives me mad. it is simply people trying to fit in with a group of people they look up to. I find it quite embarrassing.

that is a good post. The class 66's are also very unpopular with the ultras because they removed proper locomotives that made "noise" and produced "clagg". Although i dislike Voyagers a great deal as i think they are uncomfortable to travel on and often smell of pooh.

makes me feel old. :( I am not a great "noiseist" but the noise a Deltic makes at full chat is quite remarkable. Same with a Western. Even on a preserved railway you get a sense of it. On the mainline at full cracker................................

Last edited: 13 Jun 2019
  15. whhistle

whhistle Established Member

I like diesels because I grew up on a line that didn't see electric traction.

I'm sure years ago I did a poll on what peoples favourite traction motive power was and where they grew up.
    The consensus was that if you grew up in 3rd rail land, you liked 3rd rail units.
    OHLE areas preferred pantograph power and everyone else liked steam or diesel.

16. delt1c

delt1c Member

Classics in the 70's was often dependent on the area you lived.If you lived in the Southwest it was often Westerns and other hyraulics.
    I was from South East Scotland and for me it was 26's and Deltics.
    Interestingly when the 50's were on the WCML they had few fans. Similar when transferred to the WR they were not well loved by enthusiasts and were nicknamed 50/50's as it was felt they had a 50% of completing a journey without failing. Then in the 80's they were well thought of.
    One of the unsung hero's of the 70's were the 40's. They could turn up on anything from express passenger to unfitted freights. Rarely failed in service.

17. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Interesting range of views, so I'll add mine.

I'm old enough to recall Steam in service, born n bred in the West Country then lived in West Midlands and moved up to the North East early 1980s. As I'm involved with several heritage lines, I've come across classes that I rarely found in my travelling around years. So, I like a lot of different traction, and would find it very difficult to pick an absolute favourite from the post '68 traction.

In no particular order ...
    Westerns, Warships, Hymeks and HST from my early years
    classes 33, 37, 50 and 55 from more recent times.

Into that mix I would add industrial shunters in general, they work(ed) remarkably hard and spent most of the time "hidden away" ...

18. Wookiee

Wookiee Member

I'm not sure I agree with that. I found most 3rd rail units dull as ditchwater, except for REPs and the Pigs that followed them!

I always had a soft spot for 33s, as they were prevalent on the south coast when I was young. I remember being quite excited when 47s started working a couple of Portsmouth-Cardiffs per day, as I'd usually have to rely on North-South inter-regionals for them. It was always nice when something unusual turned up, like the occasional 31 on the Cardiffs - even picked up a 56 bailing out a 33 once. 50s appearing on the daily Paignton train from Portsmouth/Brighton were a breath of fresh air, as were the 47/7s on the Exeter line.

Used to camp out at Fareham in the evening waiting for the Didcot-Fratton coal train behind a 37 and was absolutely made up when they started putting 58s on them, as I'd never seen one that far south before.

19. Northhighland

Northhighland Member

My early memories are of keltics and the amazing sound they had and the experience of seeing one at full tilt going past. However I instantly loved the HST, it was so sleek and modern with an even better sense of speed and power. Also always a soft spot for 37's, seen them everywhere in the Highlands doing a great job.

20. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

Almost everyone loves a Deltic :)

21. LOL The Irony

LOL The Irony Established Member

I think I'm the only person partial to a 60. Much better than the 66's and they've started being used on the Peak Forest - Lostock Works trains again! Happy days! :D
    Pendolino's look better than those discount 0 Series Shinkansen's.
    They're their own thing IMO.
    My favourite DMU by far.
    Who doesn't?

22. Aureol Colin

Aureol Colin Member

Partial to 40s myself, as may be obvious from the avatar and the user name

23. Peter C

Peter C Member

I'm not interested in "clag" that much either but if an engine I'm near makes a loud noise or something I will turn around and listen. I like the Westerns, but have sadly only ever seen photos and videos of one in service. But I did see a static one in the NRM. The thing I'm realising is that I haven't seen much!

-Peter

24. delt1c

delt1c Member

ETH shut of and careful use of controller to avoid wheel spin into the tunnels. Deltic on a heavy sleeper out of the cross was always a sight to behold and if a passenger standing by the drop light listen was pure heavy metal

25. delt1c

delt1c Member

what a load of sausage meat, in their day the ultimate, even when withdrawn they were at the top of the charts. They were only withdrawn due to operational cost.

26. Kneedown

Kneedown Established Member

I don't either! :D

27. Ken H

Ken H Established Member

Actually travelled in Cl55 hauled trains on the ECML before HST. I thought them awesome kit then.
    Because HST displaced them I disliked HST but soon came to like them. They saved inter city travel in the UK.
    never liked voyagers. Yuk

37's sound awesome. got a Cl37 + 4 on a cl155 replacement (when they were having door trouble) from Crewe to manc. Sat in leading coach. Driver with a grudge. Loud or what! Must have been 1995

first go on a Cl87 hauled train was good. After even Deltics, the acceleration was something else. Carlisle - Lancaster. Mid 1980's.

Seem to remember 'Peaks' were popular. Peak meant 44/45/46, not just 44. Lots of discussion about split headcode boxes.

Cl 47 were referred to as Duff's - too many of them to be interesting.
    There was the joke that they could name one of the 47/7s on the Scottish push-pulls 'Belgrano' because you were never sure which way they were going. Allocated to Falkland junction!

And a pair of cl20's on a Nuneaton-Skeggy trains. Cl 20's were 'choppers'

Seeing named locos was added kudos.

28. Peter C

Peter C Member

I think that it is still nice to see named locos. However, some TOCs give units sticker names (like GNER and GWR) and this takes away from it for me.

-Peter

29. Ken H

Ken H Established Member

Should be a proper cast iron plate IMHO

30. delt1c

delt1c Member

Were you around when they were at their peak on ECML