• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Porterbrook Cl.769 'Flex' trains from 319s, initially for Northern

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
Considering testing generally starts from Swithland Yard, from my rough observation it looked to be doing about 25-30mph by Kinchley Lane cutting. I can't claim to be an expert on acceleration, but that's within about half a mile - is that any good?

I'd be surprised if that wasn't full throttle given the racket it was making. It looked like an acceleration test.

Unless they have a special exemption, they may be limited to 25 mph on a heritage railway.

But if it really needs ½ mile to reach 25 mph, that is not very impressive.
Huyton to Roby is about the same distance, and after departing from Huyton, a 150, 156 or 142 would typically pass Roby at about 40 to 44 mph.

Rail Blues

The mags have had bumper few years of easy content but they all know things are going to get lean with fewer new NR projects and no relationships with certain new suppliers who can be bit secretive they need all the free content they can get so expect far more of it.

I think my purchases will become even more infrequent.

mushroomchow

The limit is 60mph on the southbound line, and 75mph on the northbound for modern traction. Steam testing has a flat max speed of 60mph, which is plenty (see below).

The reasoning is the foot crossings at Quorn and Rothley both being on that southbound line - if the permanent way was completely separated they'd probably be allowed to do the full 75 on both tracks.

I think they're allowed to test at up to 45 on the Leicester North section, but they never bother for logistical reasons (such as having to man the foot crossing on the edge of Birstall).

We still have a H&S Executive notice from way back when in the Quorn messroom declaring the lifting of the 10mph restriction on the Southbound through Quorn, but in order to operate above 25mph we're required to man the crossing gates - nowadays we tend to do it for all through trains regardless of speed, but it's a legal requirement for all fast services like the TPOs and on testing days the station is pretty much shut except for safety critical staff.

Last edited:

K.o.R

The reasoning is the foot crossings at Quorn and Rothley both being on that southbound line - if the permanent way was completely separated they'd probably be allowed to do the full 75 on both tracks.

They only cross one track? Seems a little inconvenient.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
As the railway isn't carrying any passengers while testing takes place, can't the crossings just be locked out of use? Any staff needing to access the station could do so by the steps down from the bridges.

HLE

Established Member
Can you even see the crossing at Quorn when driving at 60mph southbound to stop in time?

Or more to the point can the users see or hear a train in good time.

Seems a bit daft when we have foot crossings on the main line that have 100mph line speed and above as the norm

LowLevel

Established Member
The actual reason is that it is surprisingly expensive to maintain the line for 75 mph rather than 60 mph and thus a sensible and practical amount of the down line (which is laid with more modern flat bottom rail rather than the original bullhead on the up line which was last relaid fully by the LNER) is maintained for the higher speed as required. It has nothing to do with the crossings which are locked out of use anyway for testing work. 60 mph is sufficient for most work anyway and 75 mph is made available if required.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Would just be nice to have a Class 769 Flex doing 20, 30, 40, 50 even 60 mph to get the thing up and running.

Just seems like there's no rush, whatsoever!! We needed these trains like yesteryear.

Come on Brush/Porterbrook get your fingers out. <D

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Industry invite day is on Wednesday. Invitees will be viewing it in action as well as travelling on it.

keith1879

Having watched the video of the 4MT at speed I have completely lost interest in the 769. Thanks for posting Mushromchow ...a real treat.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
No one said deliberately delaying! But they are certainly faffing about. How late now?.

More likely, it was always going to be more complicated than it seems. Porterbrook and Brush were optimistic with their estimates on how quickly they could produce something that worked... and the DfT, eager for a reason to pull back on proposed electrification, were quick to put all their eggs in that basket. Compare this project to the broadly similar Vivarail 230 scheme which was always going to be a bit of a niche product: it's also taken far longer than projected but doesn't have huge tranches of the national network relying on it.

mushroomchow

Having watched the video of the 4MT at speed I have completely lost interest in the 769. Thanks for posting Mushromchow ...a real treat.

Well we know it works and has completed its testing! ;)

In other news, they had to shift the 769 out of the siding at Quorn yesterday to allow the drop-off of the B1 for the forthcoming Autumn Gala. Couldn't tell you if it was shifted under its own power or if the shunter handled it, but the signalman was in and the siding gate open when I passed and was subsequently held up at the crossroads by a kettle on a lorry.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
The only reassuring thing for me is that the delays with the 769 seem very different to the problems with the HST.

While with the HST it appears to be the condition of the existing trains, for the 769s it seems to be the design of the 'electrical stuff' (apologies thick civil engineer). So with the design now complete, you would hope that as long as the tests are successful the work will be quicker. I'd also hope some of the other units have had work started even if just for example, strengthening the floors in the driving cars.

Bornin1980s

Reports in Rail Engineer and The Railway Magazine both showed new control cubicles. I don't understand, why do trains still need large control cubicles when we can now hold powerful computers in our hands?