• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Portillo is back with his jackets! (Great British Railway Journeys Series 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetheguard

Established Member
I missed the start of the series on Monday, but before Tuesday's episode the continuity announcer said that it wouldn't be "the advertised episode". Since the week's episodes are a series, presumably this week's journey has been switched with another week's. What was the "advertised" journey for this week, and does anyone know why the running order changed? Once it has all been printed in the listings magazines, I assume it would need a good reason to make a change.

Like you I missed the first episode of this new series; I don't know if it was shown on the Monday - it certainly wasn't shown in Radio Times as being on.

I've now watched it on BBC I Player; whether it has been broadcast yet on "ordinary" TV remains a mystery!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Western Lord

I missed the start of the series on Monday, but before Tuesday's episode the continuity announcer said that it wouldn't be "the advertised episode". Since the week's episodes are a series, presumably this week's journey has been switched with another week's. What was the "advertised" journey for this week, and does anyone know why the running order changed? Once it has all been printed in the listings magazines, I assume it would need a good reason to make a change.
The series was originally advertised to start on Tuesday, but started on Monday instead. Thus Tuesday's episode was originally advertised for Wednesday!

DelW

Established Member
The series was originally advertised to start on Tuesday, but started on Monday instead. Thus Tuesday's episode was originally advertised for Wednesday!
Ah, I see, thanks for the explanation :)

Requeststop

Just seen the opening titles of the first programme and it includes an aerial shot of St Michaels Mount so is he going back down to Cornwall again? I also noticed Bristol Temple Meads and I think, The Isle of Wight railway? The Southern?

CaptainHaddock

Established Member

Mikey C

Established Member
I agree - it's the format not the presenter that's the problem. In addition to my comments earlier in the thread about the "having a go" sections, I think the journeys are too long and tend to gloss over interesting stops along the way. You could easily get five half hour programmes out of, for example, a journey from Cromer to Ipswich via Norwich and Lowestoft rather than extending it all the way to the Isle of Wight. And why does virtually every week-long journey Michael takes have to pass through dreary old London?

Actually London is generally covered only once in every series if you look at his journeys. And with him visiting the Thameslink depot at Three Bridges, getting there from Cambridge via London is actually quite appropriate. Quite interesting for me that trains still need manual washing

As for glossing over interesting stops, the nature of the programme is that they don't cover any single sight in a town or every town in an area. That way, they can repeat parts of journeys, and instead visit different places on the way.

xc170

I spotted Betws-Y-Coed in the opening sequence so hopefully it'll feature in an episode!

bastien

Personally I find it quite interesting how they've used the 'travelogue' format to sneak other subjects into the TV schedule... For example, European Railway Journeys has been a pretty good 'run-up to WWI' documentary.

Similarly, Great Canal Journeys on 4 is quite a personal programme about living with dementia.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The problem with TV is that content is controlled by executives who’ve been around for a while. TV costs a lot of money to make, has to satisfy a certain number of backers or sponsors (or in the BBC’s case, perhaps a creative direction team). The end product is often good but a compromise, and anything going on prime time will be trying to reach a broad audience.

The good news is YouTube is full of extraordinary niche content which is free to watch and cheap to make. Sure, most of it isn’t as good as the telly, but you’re more likely to find something which suits eclectic or unusual tastes there.

michael74

I always enjoy these series. However I find Episode 1 jacket (green with white stripes) is making me feel travel sick, and I am sitting on my sofa..... lol

cuccir

Established Member
I'd got a bit fed up with the show, but the shift to the Edwardian era has freshened it up a bit. It'd be surprising if any series going for nearly a decade didn't get a little repetitive at times, so it's nice that they've switched it around a little.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd got a bit fed up with the show, but the shift to the Edwardian era has freshened it up a bit. It'd be surprising if any series going for nearly a decade didn't get a little repetitive at times, so it's nice that they've switched it around a little.

I find there's a bit much to watch at once (though I appreciate you can record it or use the iPlayer) - rather than the week of 5 x 30 minute programmes I'd rather see a series of 5 or 6 weekly programmes.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I wonder if they ask permission from people Michel sits next to on the train? Must be a bit awkward while he does a piece to camera!
Does anyone know what cameras they use to film?

Mikey C

Established Member
I wonder if they ask permission from people Michel sits next to on the train? Must be a bit awkward while he does a piece to camera!
Yes, it must be weird if you're sitting near him while he's doing a piece to camera, I imagine it will require more than one take too!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
He sat opposite me on a 159 going up to london once, I couldnt believe it! The train was on a Salisbury to Waterloo service.

He was wearing one of his famous jackets, a bright corn coloured tweed one. Not exactly my style, but hey ho.

Requeststop

This will make you watch the episode again.
Loved the last part of his journey down the south west.
Some lovely aerial camera work which I especially enjoyed......but.........
I loved the cows humping in the background during MP's discussion of Marconi at Pol Dhu.
Brilliant! Best bit of the series so far.
Now if they had Portillo humping the cow rather than pointlessly beating his copper..........

Crossover

Established Member

We have often wondered the same - you see some of them staring idly into space trying to avoid the camera (where they are not actually been talked to)

I don't know what cameras specifically they use, but when they ended up (incorrectly as we later found out) on our (forum trip) train a few years ago, I don't recall them being particularly big. I can't remember if there was one or two, plus a soundman

Mikey C

Established Member
This will make you watch the episode again.
Loved the last part of his journey down the south west.
Some lovely aerial camera work which I especially enjoyed......but.........
I loved the cows humping in the background during MP's discussion of Marconi at Pol Dhu.
Brilliant! Best bit of the series so far.
Now if they had Portillo humping the cow rather than pointlessly beating his copper..........

They should have transmitted that to the moon :D

R4_GRN

Surpassed himself tonight (Monday) bright yellow trousers with a deep purple jacket is his tailor blind?

Or has he been blinded making the clothes:rolleyes:

Mikey C

Established Member
Surpassed himself tonight (Monday) bright yellow trousers with a deep purple jacket is his tailor blind?

Or has he been blinded making the clothes:rolleyes:

Maybe that's why the producers sent him to a gents tailor in Leeds yesterday, to try and drop a few hints :D

R4_GRN

I have got him sussed! Today Wednesday he is wearing a yellow jacket with purple trousers so he buys a clowns suit in several colours then mixes and (badly) matches.

Reckon it is just attention seeking or his trade mark as presenter

Still enjoyable to watch despite the colours.

Has anyone approached him when not filming, does he appreciate people speaking to him about the programme?

Kite159

Veteran Member
I just like watching how others on the train react when they see him filming, either looking out of the window trying their best to blank it out (gentlemen on the 150 heading into Swansea last week) or act like "oh its a TV camera, we must pull silly faces in the background" (like those kids on a 158 yesterday)

nlogax

Established Member
It's a great show but not really a rail network I recognise. Travelling through the prettiest of landscapes in the nicest of weather on the quietest of trains. The production team should try filming him on the 17:53 from Waterloo to Basingstoke on a wet winter weekday..

Crossover

Established Member
I think the suits are very much a trademark and a talking point

The jump from Langley Mill to Nantwich last night felt rather haphazard and shoehorned in to progress across the country - this after a few days of logical progression across Yorkshire and into Derbyshire

infobleep

Veteran Member
It's a great show but not really a rail network I recognise. Travelling through the prettiest of landscapes in the nicest of weather on the quietest of trains. The production team should try filming him on the 17:53 from Waterloo to Basingstoke on a wet winter weekday..
I would definitely watch that episode.

I noticed the other week that they thanked South Western Railway at the end. However it looked as if they were filming when it was South West Trains. Anyone know the answer? If it was when South West Trains existed, you'd think they would thank them, in addition to South Western Railway.

Mikey C

Established Member

By that point of the day he'll be arriving at a convenient hotel recommended by his Bradshaw's!

Generally, due to when they film, he has no need to travel on rush hour trains. Moreover, I'm sure that neither the production team nor the rail companies would want him filming on rush hour trains, imagine how much space they would take up on a crowded train!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Seems he is going down that zip-line in Wales on tonight's episode.

(Reference busy peak hour trains, as a joke for Chris Tarrant getting banned from driving, he has been to many 'extreme' railways across the world, but nothing prepared him for the crowding on the 17:50 from Waterloo to Woking) :lol:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just watching yesterday's now. Interesting how he pronounces "Maghull" with a very obvious but fake sounding Northern accent (and the local he meets doesn't!) :)

pemma

Veteran Member
The production team should try filming him on the 17:53 from Waterloo to Basingstoke on a wet winter weekday..

If they think they'll have difficulty filming on board then they try to schedule filming for very early at the weekend. Even lines which are usually very crowded for most of the day have spare seats at 6am on Saturday.

Springs Branch

Established Member
..... Has anyone approached him when not filming, does he appreciate people speaking to him about the programme?
I remember a while back reading about someone who bumped into Portillo whilst waiting for a train (at Manchester Piccadilly, IIRC, and not while he was filming). Apparently Mr P. was quite personable and happy to exchange a few words on that occasion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.