• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible Class 333 scrapped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam0984

Whats happening to the 333s in terms of thr bolster repairs? Are They being done at Neville Hill or will they be going to derby
I dont actually know until things get back to normal and actually see the guys in maintainence to ask them

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Demic

With 333009 back in service there may be a period of monitoring to assess the success (or not) of the works done.

After that, with a shortage of space at Neville Hill they may get shipped out for repair.

superkev

Established Member
With 333009 back in service there may be a period of monitoring to assess the success (or not) of the works done.

After that, with a shortage of space at Neville Hill they may get shipped out for repair.
Is 333 009 actually back in service?
Re the rest, assuming they go ahead, theres always Holbeck when it finishes the latest round of interior works on the 156s and 158s. Not sure if it has the lifting facilities etc needed for such work.
Who pays could be a jungle.
Probably the leasing company who, if so, may have to compensate Northern or even Siemens who provide X number of units for service each day.
K

adh144004

I have seen 333009 out and about Airedale a couple of times this week, however I have not seen 333015 for quite some time - anyone know the status of 015? Maybe that I've just not seen it.

Adam0984

I have seen 333009 out and about Airedale a couple of times this week, however I have not seen 333015 for quite some time - anyone know the status of 015? Maybe that I've just not seen it.
015 has been off the road since 12th July with obstruction damage

Halish Railway

Established Member
I’m on a very fresh looking 333009 and there doesn’t appear to be much of a difference from a regular 333. All that could really be noted is that some of the components around the bogies look new (e.g. Screwheads) and that there is a very slight knocking sound coming from the bogies, but that’s about it.

Adam0984

I dont think you would notice a difference as its cracks in the existing frame which have been investigated and repaired. And it looks nice inside because it hadn't been refurbished long before it disappeared

Harvey B

I dont think you would notice a difference as its cracks in the existing frame which have been investigated and repaired. And it looks nice inside because it hadn't been refurbished long before it disappeared
It didn't even enter operation

DB

D365

Veteran Member

HarryL

I understand the reasons for scrapping them, but it does feel like a waste to get rid of decent trains when other parts of the network still have 30+ year old units with no sign of replacements (I know the older ones tend to be diesel units which get replaced less frequently, but still). Whilst it is uneconomical, had they been refurbished and refit alongside the 333s, you'd have a fleet of 30 units which is a reasonable size to run a line or two imo. They'd even look better than the 321s for hydrogen body conversion, though not sure how many of those are planned to be done.

I hope the 333s don't follow them to the scrapyard any time soon, they're still a delight to ride on and far more comfortable than the 331s seating.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I hope the 333s don't follow them to the scrapyard any time soon, they're still a delight to ride on and far more comfortable than the 331s seating.
I wouldn't worry. There is a difference between the 332s and 333s. The 333s have just been through an overhaul programme. They are owned by a Rosco. Just because 332s have been displaced and are not needed does not have any bearing at all on the 333s.

SteveyBee131

As I understand it, the 332s were pretty well hammered in comparison to the 333s. They might have been cosmetically refurbished, but tgey were run to the ground on a very intensive timetable. The 333s aren't nearly as heavily run and as JonathanH mentions, have been recently overhauled inside and out so have a much brighter future.

On Moderation
As I understand it, the 332s were pretty well hammered in comparison to the 333s. They might have been cosmetically refurbished, but tgey were run to the ground on a very intensive timetable. The 333s aren't nearly as heavily run and as JonathanH mentions, have been recently overhauled inside and out so have a much brighter future.
Not this old chestnut again. They've lead a comparatively cosseted life. See here for why: Suggestions for future use of Class 332s post-HEx | Page 14 | RailUK Forums (railforums.co.uk)

skyhigh

Established Member
They've been overhauled inside and out? News to me... as far as I was aware (and I work on the things) the refurb was purely cosmetic. 009 has had repair work done for corrosion as a trial, with others in the fleet under observation. 011 in particular has very creaky floors in one coach. Even the cosmetic refurb was limited in scope - look in the toilet and you'll notice the refurb didn't touch it. 333s are starting to show their age - lots have air-con faults, repeated computer faults requiring a reboot, PIS/PA issues etc. Hopefully more spares coming from the 332 fleet will help with the issues, but if they're going to continue in service money will need spending on the fleet.

(No criticism aimed at the refurb or maintenance teams - they do a good job given the constraints they work within).

HarryL

333s are starting to show their age - lots have air-con faults, repeated computer faults requiring a reboot, PIS/PA issues etc.
That is true which is why I slight worry about them, albeit the computer faults are one that could be fixed when they do the power sockets/new information systems they're supposed to be doing at some point. Been on plenty of units that do the old "Crew com time out message" over the speakers every 5 minutes for the whole journey.

skyhigh

Established Member
That is true which is why I slight worry about them, albeit the computer faults are one that could be fixed when they do the power sockets/new information systems they're supposed to be doing at some point. Been on plenty of units that do the old "Crew com time out message" over the speakers every 5 minutes for the whole journey.
Crew com time out is when cab to cab hasn't been answered, and needs to be cancelled off. Computer faults are TMS related and wouldn't be touched by power socket installation or PIS replacement. Not that unusual to have a spurious door fault message when everything's working fine (not of a safety related nature) or a reduction in traction power - having said that, a pan up reset usually cures the issues.

hst43102

Why Peterborough, not Newport or Rotherham, for this 332? I've not seen any scrap moves to Peterborough before. Any photos of the move?

JamesC357

Why Peterborough, not Newport or Rotherham, for this 332? I've not seen any scrap moves to Peterborough before. Any photos of the move?

I did see a picture earlier of a 332 carriage (presumably from 014) on the back of a truck heading North up the A1 so it appears to have gone by road

hst43102

I did see a picture earlier of a 332 carriage (presumably from 014) on the back of a truck heading North up the A1 so it appears to have gone by road
Thanks for that, interesting choice. Maybe Newport is full at the moment.

superkev

Established Member
It seems to have gone quiet on the reported 333 bolster problem and after of the class spent around a year at the RTC being assessed and presumably repaired.
I'm not aware of any more being done.
K

D365

Veteran Member
Heathrow owns the 332s, so they’ll have their own arrangements for disposal of surplus assets.

DB

Hopefully more spares coming from the 332 fleet will help with the issues, but if they're going to continue in service money will need spending on the fleet.

Has any agreement been reached to buy parts or whole vehicles from the 332 fleet for spares?

JN114

Established Member
Has any agreement been reached to buy parts or whole vehicles from the 332 fleet for spares?

No public announcement as to use of 332 spares, but I’d be surprised if there wasn’t some kind of arrangement for reuse of compatible components. Siemens maintains the 332s in-house, presuming they have a similar arrangement with Northern it would be a no-brainer.

The vehicles however are not outright compatible. They will all be scrapped once/if spares recovery has been completed.

Harvey B

It seems to have gone quiet on the reported 333 bolster problem and after of the class spent around a year at the RTC being assessed and presumably repaired.
I'm not aware of any more being done.
K
I'm Surprised too. You would have though that something would have happened by now

Status
Not open for further replies.