• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible plans for Edinburgh Waverley station?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

big all

On Moderation
Don’t want to come across as over critical but surely they could’ve done a better job than that! Mix up of surfaces looks untidy
another though
there is further metalwork possibly machines like ticket validation or even barriers so demarking the areas otherwise the 45%ish angle is pointless and as it looks quite deliberate would expect a post or metalwork to go at what would be the point off the triangle iff fully finished

gghdeo

Can you imagine the finishing being left like that at any London terminus? I don’t understand why that’s deemed acceptable.

InOban

Established Member
The 45° change of surface must surely mark where the gateline will be. I'm sure I read in an earlier post that an extended gated area will include 6,7, and 11 but not 5.

The 45° change of surface must surely mark where the gateline will be. I'm sure I read in an earlier post that an extended gated area will include 6,7, and 11 but not 5.
Yes, the change in surface type seems exactly where the barrier is meant to be positioned. Apparently some of the barrier will be solid, but there will also be a gate that can be opened to allow access for pedestrians or vehicles onto platforms 6 & 7 (therefore 11 & 12 as well). I imagine this will be opened when LNER or Cross Country trains are alighting/boarding but closed for ScotRail services when passengers are supposed to use the automatic barriers. Not sure what they'd do if both arrive/depart together.

Just off the last London train and platforms 5 & 6 look operational.

No fencing left although there is still some work going on beyond the buffers under near the stairs.

I should be in over the next couple of days so I’ll post a photo then.

Edinburgh2000

Traksy now shows Platforms 5&6. But I was shocked to see the track layout. Is it really correct that P1-6 can only be accessed by a single track through the North Calton tunnel? If so, then any train signalled into P6 from before Abbeyhill will lock out any despatch from P1-5. Surely there could have been a more flexible arrangement installed that would have allowed trains to be signalled into P5 or P6 through the South Calton tunnel while still allowing a route to be set from P1 - P4? The conflicts between the ECML trains and the North Berwick / Tweedbank / Dunbar trains will surely lead to delays if there is any disruption at all to the timetable with this single track arrangement. Unless anyone can tell us that the Traksy diagram is wrong?EDB 2019-02.jpg

InOban

Established Member
I pointed this out when they started to lay the tracks before Christmas. I don't know why they haven't put in a link to the South tunnel. Very inflexible.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I pointed this out when they started to lay the tracks before Christmas. I don't know why they haven't put in a link to the South tunnel. Very inflexible.
There is a slight puzzle though, the future track diagram that was posted last year (eg in post #643) for the potential modifications suggests by the colour coding that there is an existing route from the South tunnel into P6? But from what is being said here it doesn’t exist now?

mcmad

Looking at it on Google Earth, there isn't an easy way to drop a link into the South tunnel from 5 and 6 without a wholescale remodelling of the East end of Waverley. From the link posted in #643, its obviously something being thought about but, for the moment, getting the additional platforms in was presumably the priority to give the Azuma somewhere to stable.

marks87

Established Member
Perhaps my eyes aren't sufficiently trained, but it doesn't look *that* significant a change to the layout.

I mean, perhaps if you were wanting to make it more efficient at the same time, then yes - but as a means to an end, it looks as "simple" as a diamond crossing on the line leading from the north tunnel to 7/11/8/9/10 and the associated pointwork on either side.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.9...562-ro-0-fo100!7i8704!8i4352?hl=en&authuser=0

Obviously not a simple job, but it doesn't seem entirely unfeasible.

Clearly a more efficient design would be to dispense with the current points that lead to 3/4/5/6 and make the aforementioned diamond a scissors. But that would be more significant.

railjock

There is a slight puzzle though, the future track diagram that was posted last year (eg in post #643) for the potential modifications suggests by the colour coding that there is an existing route from the South tunnel into P6? But from what is being said here it doesn’t exist now?
Aren’t they planning to remodel the East end at some point by delivering three tracks through the tunnels. Perhaps waiting for that rather than ‘short term’ remodelling now.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Aren’t they planning to remodel the East end at some point by delivering three tracks through the tunnels. Perhaps waiting for that rather than ‘short term’ remodelling now.
Yes, that’s the intended remodelling that the drawings I’m referring to are about, they’re from the Network Rail route study. As I said those drawings show a line that isn’t there yet as an ‘existing line’...

railjock

Yes, that’s the intended remodelling that the drawings I’m referring to are about, they’re from the Network Rail route study. As I said those drawings show a line that isn’t there yet as an ‘existing line’...
Ah, interesting.

InOban

Established Member
Seconded. No sign of the gateline going in, but there doesn't seem to be anything stopping the use of the new platforms. I'm surprised that NR or LNER haven't tweeted about it.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Just awaiting the TOCs completing their dispatch risk assessments is what I've been told....

InOban

Established Member
And here's me thinking that ASLEF were negotiating a week's training.

Established Member
They aren't in service yet so that's what's stopping trains going in.
Seconded. No sign of the gateline going in, but there doesn't seem to be anything stopping the use of the new platforms. I'm surprised that NR or LNER haven't tweeted about it.

Established Member
Yes, the change in surface type seems exactly where the barrier is meant to be positioned. Apparently some of the barrier will be solid, but there will also be a gate that can be opened to allow access for pedestrians or vehicles onto platforms 6 & 7 (therefore 11 & 12 as well). I imagine this will be opened when LNER or Cross Country trains are alighting/boarding but closed for ScotRail services when passengers are supposed to use the automatic barriers. Not sure what they'd do if both arrive/depart together.
The gates will be closed all the time afaik. The gate is to allow catering deliveries etc through.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I reckon the “triangular bit” will definitely be a boundary, but suggest the whole foreground area by the lift will eventually be properly paved, but just a bit at a time because there’s no real hurry.

The gates will be closed all the time afaik. The gate is to allow catering deliveries etc through.

Hmm, in that case would these new signs for platforms 6 & 7 need to come down?

Could be wrong but I think they'd be directing passengers towards a closed gate.

If they have tickets then they'd pass through so not sure why they what you're on about?
I'll need to dig out the plans again but I didn't think there were ticket gates planned for the area shown - just a barrier which could be opened to let vehicles through onto the platform 7 area.

From what I recall, the ticket gates were on the other side of the liftshaft. More like towards the platform 11 and 12 area.

Here's the drawing I have for this area. It might be getting quite old now, so perhaps the plans have changed. The broken purple line is meant to show ticket gates while the green is a solid fence. The pale blue line denotes gates that can be opened up when felt necessary.
Picture2.jpg

Established Member
Here's the drawing I have for this area. It might be getting quite old now, so perhaps the plans have changed. The broken purple line is meant to show ticket gates while the green is a solid fence. The pale blue line denotes gates that can be opened up when felt necessary.
View attachment 59761
That doesn't match what we have been told and the way they seem to be prepping for installation.

takno

Established Member
I reckon the “triangular bit” will definitely be a boundary, but suggest the whole foreground area by the lift will eventually be properly paved, but just a bit at a time because there’s no real hurry.
From a quick glance at the photos the triangular area looks more like a change in slope where the platforms are designed to drain towards the middle. Haven't been and looked though

Status
Not open for further replies.