• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Post Lockdown re-opening dates for heritage railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bessie

I know there's still lots of work to do, but I'm a glass half-full person so with the roadmap published please let us know when your heritage railways plan to re-open. I'm determined to visit at least 10 lines in 2021.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StephenHunter

Established Member
Don't have any gen myself, but since they're museums, 12 April will be the earliest date for England.

alexl92

Established Member
I've seen a fair few saying they plan to announce in the next week.
Could we maybe turn this into a sticky thread with all the dates in the first post as they're shared?

steamybrian

Established Member
Don't have any gen myself, but since they're museums, 12 April will be the earliest date for England.
Reading the list of dates it states that outdoor attractions such as zoos and theme parks open on 12th April and indoor attractions open 17th May. Are heritage railways classed as an indoor or outdoor attractions.?
Considering there are staff retraining and refreshers to do and other preparations to arrange so I cannot see an instant reopening more a gradual opening. Some staff travel long distances to work on a railway so they have accommodation to arrange.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Peter C

Established Member
They have been showing that date since before yesterday's announcement.
Ah OK - I didn't know that; hence my comment about not being able to confirm it. I expect it will change to a date nearer those given upthread.

-Peter

pdeaves

Established Member
Are heritage railways classed as an indoor or outdoor attractions.?
Personally, I have no idea. However, whilst not 'heritage lines' in that sense I would venture that most miniature railways are outdoor (for the majority, the passenger vehicles don't even have sides, let alone a roof). Whether anyone in officialdom agrees is a different matter...

richa2002

Established Member
I agree that I would love to visit many heritage railways once they reopen. Just not with any COVID theatre in place like having to prebook trains, face masks or distancing. Could be waiting a while I fear.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I hope to visit some, including the BlueBell as I have some voucher for that, I'd like to take some of my friends on their afternoon service. Some other friends were able to do it when allowed to last year and said that it was very enjoyable. Anything to be able to get out and about with main line and steam trains.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
The Buckingham Rail centre is I think, open from 14 April, but best to check with them before anyone makes a visit there.

reddragon

Established Member
Notice from GWSR: -

We plan to restart train services as follows:
  1. From 13th April: 1 steam-hauled train on weekdays and two steam trains on Saturdays and most Sundays. Customers will have to purchase tickets in advance. The operating procedures will follow the same practice of COVID-secure trains that were introduced last August. On the last Sunday of April, there will be a diesel-enthusiasts’ day with one diesel-hauled train undertaking three trips as before.
  2. From 1st May: 2 steam-hauled services on five days per week. Pre-booking of tickets and COVID-secure operations continue. On the last Sunday of May and June, there will be a diesel-enthusiasts’ day with one diesel-hauled train undertaking three trips as before.
From 21st June, we all hope that restrictions on volunteering will end provided the return to a fully open economy occurs. A normal timetable will then be introduced.

Peter C

Established Member
Notice from GWSR: -

We plan to restart train services as follows:
  1. From 13th April: 1 steam-hauled train on weekdays and two steam trains on Saturdays and most Sundays. Customers will have to purchase tickets in advance. The operating procedures will follow the same practice of COVID-secure trains that were introduced last August. On the last Sunday of April, there will be a diesel-enthusiasts’ day with one diesel-hauled train undertaking three trips as before.
  2. From 1st May: 2 steam-hauled services on five days per week. Pre-booking of tickets and COVID-secure operations continue. On the last Sunday of May and June, there will be a diesel-enthusiasts’ day with one diesel-hauled train undertaking three trips as before.
From 21st June, we all hope that restrictions on volunteering will end provided the return to a fully open economy occurs. A normal timetable will then be introduced.
I'm really happy to hear this - thanks for sharing @reddragon. I've enjoyed many a day on the GWSR and would definitely like to have a journey on it this year as I didn't get 'round to it last year. I hope it all goes well for you all!

-Peter

IanM

Statfold Barn has made an announcement today too:

Statfold's back soon...

Following on from the Government announcement on the 22nd of February 2021 that indoor attractions can open from the 17th of May at the earliest, the Trust have taken the decision to postpone the March Enthusiast Day: 150 years of the Quarry Hunslet from the 20th of March to a two-day event on the 10th and 11th July. The Trust have taken the decision to hold the event over 2 days so that we can still provide social distancing, which helps to ensure the safety of our guests, staff, and volunteers.

It is with great regret that we have had to cancel Half Term: Schools at Statfold on the 6-16th April and Cars in Strawberry Park on the 11th of April.

The Statfold Giant Miniature Weekend will be moving to a new weekend with new dates announced in the coming weeks.

We have also taken the decision to hold the June Enthusiast Day: Trangkil-50 over two days on the 12th & 13th June, again we have taken this decision to help with social distancing and to ensure the safety of our guests, staff, and volunteers.

We will be contacting any affected ticket holders in the coming days.

The Trust like everyone, would hope that later in the year we have all returned to normality.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bessie

Didcot Railway Centre re-opens from 14 April. I've already got my ticket :D

341o2

Established Member
Swanage railway plan to reopen Monday 12 April. Herston and Harmans Cross remain closed, passengers advised to book online if possible due to limited capacity

Spamcan81

NVR proposes to open shops, cafe and I presume outdoor viewing from 12th April but no train services until mid May. Website still a bit sparse on detail at the moment though.

robvulpes

Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway intends reopening on 27 April as long as Boris's roadmap dates don't slip. Website For the time being, it will be with the same limitations as last summer/autumn.

Flying Phil

Established Member
From the GCR website

Passenger trains return – from 17th April 2021​

Weekend passenger trains are due to return to the Great Central Railway from Saturday 17th April 2021, as national coronavirus restrictions are relaxed!
Details are currently being finalised, but expect a steam-hauled service and a return of our beautifully restored compartment coaches to provide a comfortable journey in private compartments, with social distancing precautions in place.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeaKing

South Devon Railway will be opening the site from 12th April and trains will start running from 17th May.

Status
Not open for further replies.