• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Potential future uses for class 68 & Mk5 sets?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Could the 68+Mk 5s go to XC with several 221s moving to Grand Central to replace the 180s?

Why would XC having just got rid of a small non standard fleet then want to give up some of its core fleet to introduce another small non-standard fleet which will require a load of crew training?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Could the 68+Mk 5s go to XC with several 221s moving to Grand Central to replace the 180s?
No. They can't maintain XC timetables and would require a considerable staff training programme.

That's why might be better to get another Operator leasing them.
It seems somewhat implausible that the fortunes of a fleet of 66 coaches will distort the rolling stock market to such an extent that it comes back to cost the railway significantly. The costs of staff training, changes to maintenance arrangements and other facts have to be taken into account as well when making the decision to enter into a new lease.

It is hardly a secret that non standard fleets are coming under scrutiny, and any suggestion that leases on rolling stock are renewed simply so that lease companies don't lose out on their revenue almost looks like a state subsidy.

Ultimately what has grounded the fleet is a stability plan for a troubled operator looking to standardise its operation and react to the collapse of railway revenues from what was expected when the fleet was first conceived.

It's completely naive to assume the leaseCos will just swallow cost of this very early return with no consequences.
Indeed, but this void is for Beacon Rail, not the other leasing companies. The idea of a competitive market is that people who want to lease rolling stock can go to a number of different players in the market to finance new rolling stock. As I note above, they can only price in so much of their loss before they become uncompetitive.

I think your point about future leases for non standard rolling stock may well have some grounding though. Maybe the other leasing companies are looking at this and recognising that they wouldn't finance such stock in the future. However, maybe the customer won't look to lease such rolling stock.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
The interesting thing to note here is people talk about finding new homes for cl68s and mk5 coaches where as the reality is finding homes for the mk5 coaches with no power source.

DRS have been quite clear over the years they would like the 68s back to replace their heritage traction, this when the lease for the 68 ends it’s unlikely DRS will enter a new new lease for them.

Finding a home for a set of coaches with no traction is going to be very tricky…

Peter Sarf

Established Member
No. They can't maintain XC timetables and would require a considerable staff training programme.

It seems somewhat implausible that the fortunes of a fleet of 66 coaches will distort the rolling stock market to such an extent that it comes back to cost the railway significantly. The costs of staff training, changes to maintenance arrangements and other facts have to be taken into account as well when making the decision to enter into a new lease.

It is hardly a secret that non standard fleets are coming under scrutiny, and any suggestion that leases on rolling stock are renewed simply so that lease companies don't lose out on their revenue almost looks like a state subsidy.

Ultimately what has grounded the fleet is a stability plan for a troubled operator looking to standardise its operation and react to the collapse of railway revenues from what was expected when the fleet was first conceived.

Indeed, but this void is for Beacon Rail, not the other leasing companies. The idea of a competitive market is that people who want to lease rolling stock can go to a number of different players in the market to finance new rolling stock. As I note above, they can only price in so much of their loss before they become uncompetitive.

I think your point about future leases for non standard rolling stock may well have some grounding though. Maybe the other leasing companies are looking at this and recognising that they wouldn't finance such stock in the future. However, maybe the customer won't look to lease such rolling stock.
Indeed and if I was a leasing company and wanted some extra trains to potentially lease I would be investing in a certain product from Hitachi. They would be B-Mode MUs that are endorsed by the DfT and used n large quantities by a number of operators - GWR, LNER, some independents, soon Avanti WCML and soon the MML. Call them Class 80Xs.
The interesting thing to note here is people talk about finding new homes for cl68s and mk5 coaches where as the reality is finding homes for the mk5 coaches with no power source.

DRS have been quite clear over the years they would like the 68s back to replace their heritage traction, this when the lease for the 68 ends it’s unlikely DRS will enter a new new lease for them.

Finding a home for a set of coaches with no traction is going to be very tricky…
I know how about heritage railtours using the soon to be redundant DRS 20 & 37s and these Mk5s ?. Answer = Mk1s and early Mk2s.

Sorry @xotGD you will have to manage without aircon and fumble with drop-light windows ;).

Chester1

Established Member

There are some options for electric hauled services if a move is planned 2 or 3 years in advance. The main problem is their unreliability. If they were reliable then TPE could use them for Manchester Airport - Scotland services. The 397s would be easier to rehome because they could be doubled up e.g. by LNER.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Could the 68s + stock go to TFW to replace the 67s + stock? There is enough to cover all Manchester to Cardiff diagrams.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
The 68s are going back to DRS to replace their heritage fleet.
I wonder if the price to hire the 68s is quite high because, as you say, DRS have uses for them at DRS ?. The Mk5s can be as cheap as chips but useless without Locos.

Just to put a nail in the Mk5s coffin - consider this. Once DRS have replaced their heritage fleet (20s, 37s & 47s ?) with the 68s that were hired to TPE for use with the Mk5s there will be no suitable traction available for the ex TPE Mk5s. There will be the cost of modification, probably not too bad if other Stadler locoes are used (88s, 93s or 99s) but that means electrified routes. Will anyone want to risk buying further 68s or carry out more involved modification for other locos (whatever they could be) ?.

Probably less chance of re-use than the 442s had as at least the 442s could power themselves in 3rd rail land.

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Is there a possibility of 67 + Mk5a at TfW in the future?
Why does there need to be? TfW have bought their Mark 4s. The 67s would need adapting to work with Mark 5a carriages and TfW would be 'paying twice'.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Maybe Mk 5s with a tri-mode loco is a better option, the ability to work off 25kV, Diesel or Batteries?
Working with Tri-mode locos would be my guess if it ever happens.

The Mk5s could be used for high speed testing of locomotives of any sort BUT would the multiple unit features of them dictate the right locomotive (68) had to be attached ?.

If re-formed into longer units I am guessing maximum 8 coaches as that is the limit for Caledonian Sleeper (OK they run as two 8-car units on the WCML).

These are not just simple coaches, they "know" you know.

py_megapixel

Established Member
No need - the 221s coming off lease from Avanti would already be enough for Grand Central to run almost every service with double sets if it wanted to, without needing to do anything with XC's fleet.

On Moderation
The leasing companies are interested in risk. They don't care about the railway - they do care about protecting their investment. So if they see nearly-new stock being handed back with no future leases they change their risk profiles and that feeds into the lease costs. What's more, short-ish leases for brand new stock will be out - they'll be looking for Section 54 agreements to protect their investment. Otherwise, the risk loaded into the initial lease would mean a much more expensive contract. Either way, it costs more.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
What's more, short-ish leases for brand new stock will be out - they'll be looking for Section 54 agreements to protect their investment. Otherwise, the risk loaded into the initial lease would mean a much more expensive contract. Either way, it costs more.
Yes, very much so. However, I don't think any of that can be alleviated by taking the Mark 5a carriages back on lease as some sort of panic measure. It seems apparent that the reduction in rolling stock demand and increase in risk has now happened regardless of the fortunes of the Mark 5a coaches, because they are just another example of non standard rolling stock being set aside.

Mind you, even Section 54 isn't a panacea. It is a huge problem for Scotrail needing now to bin off the HSTs and being locked into a lease contract.

On Moderation
Mind you, even Section 54 isn't a panacea. It is a huge problem for Scotrail needing now to bin off the HSTs and being locked into a lease contract.
But it protects the leasing company’s investment, in this case Angel. We know that cost was a significant issue with ScotRail - new I7C stock was basically unaffordable - and the s54 agreement meant a lower annual lease rental as the contract was less risky for Angel. Can’t have it both ways.

Chester1

Established Member
I wonder if the price to hire the 68s is quite high because, as you say, DRS have uses for them at DRS ?. The Mk5s can be as cheap as chips but useless without Locos.

Just to put a nail in the Mk5s coffin - consider this. Once DRS have replaced their heritage fleet (20s, 37s & 47s ?) with the 68s that were hired to TPE for use with the Mk5s there will be no suitable traction available for the ex TPE Mk5s. There will be the cost of modification, probably not too bad if other Stadler locoes are used (88s, 93s or 99s) but that means electrified routes. Will anyone want to risk buying further 68s or carry out more involved modification for other locos (whatever they could be) ?.

Probably less chance of re-use than the 442s had as at least the 442s could power themselves in 3rd rail land.

The loco issues are secondary. If the Mark Vs were reliable the DfT would have made TPE drop the 397s instead. The mark Vs are built for 125mph so could be certified for 110mph hauled by electric locos. The 397s would be much easier to rehome e.g. replacing the 225s at LNER and they would fit other intercity services. This idea is a non starter because TPE couldn't run a reliable service between Manchester and Scotland with Mark Vs. Only a desperate ToC will take the Mark Vs. They are too new to scrap so might have a long time in storage before a desperate ToC takes them. My bet was on Scotrail but with DRS wanting the 68s back to Meridians look like a faster option.

Is there a possibility of 67 + Mk5a at TfW in the future?

TfW own the Mark IV sets and they should be able to run until the end of the decade.

Maybe Mk 5s with a tri-mode loco is a better option, the ability to work off 25kV, Diesel or Batteries?

Tri modes will be terrible off wires for passenger services. The class 93 will have 6200hp using overhead electricity but only 540hp using battery and 1200hp using diesel. Bi and tri mode locos are still only useful for last mile freight services.

liamf656

Would the 68s be able to take over all the workings of the DRS heritage fleet? I believe they are RA7, versus RA5 for the "go anywhere" 37s.
What do RA5 and RA7 mean? I'd assume they're specific restrictions on where a loco can go but what is the reason a 68 would be RA7 and what would those restrictions be?

CBlue

What do RA5 and RA7 mean? I'd assume they're specific restrictions on where a loco can go but what is the reason a 68 would be RA7 and what would those restrictions be?

Weights on the locomotive axles as I understand. This leads to restrictions on where the loco (and stock) can go, and at what speed it can progress.
For example on the Fenland lines around East Anglia there are large speed differences between Sprinters / Sprinter equivalents (755,s 170s etc) and everything else. Sprinters are allowed to do 75, whereas for locos etc it is around 45 mph? @dk1 being a local on those lines would know better than me.

Naturally you're not keeping to time if you can't keep to the required speeds.

As regards a "desperate TOC" - can't see it without motive power, and it's rather unlikely DFT are going to let a TOC fund a fleet of locos to run the Mk5 sets around to say the least! So much for LHCS being an improvement. o_O

D6130

Established Member
It wouldn't be permitted to run over a route with a lower RA (Route Availabilty) number. Route Availability of locomotives and rolling stock is determined primarily by the axle loading of the vehicle concerned (i.e. its weight divided by the number of axles), but other factors can also come into play as well, such as width, length and distance between bogie centres. Route Availability of a particular line is primarily determined by the strength of undertrack structures such as bridges and viaducts, but also, to a lesser extent, by things such as curvature and platform clearances.

liamf656

It wouldn't be permitted to run over a route with a lower RA (Route Availabilty) number. Route Availability of locomotives and rolling stock is determined primarily by the axle loading of the vehicle concerned (i.e. its weight divided by the number of axles), but other factors can also come into play as well, such as width, length and distance between bogie centres. Route Availability of a particular line is primarily determined by the strength of undertrack structures such as bridges and viaducts, but also, to a lesser extent, by things such as curvature and platform clearances.
Thank you

dk1

Veteran Member
Weights on the locomotive axles as I understand. This leads to restrictions on where the loco (and stock) can go, and at what speed it can progress.
For example on the Fenland lines around East Anglia there are large speed differences between Sprinters / Sprinter equivalents (755,s 170s etc) and everything else. Sprinters are allowed to do 75, whereas for locos etc it is around 45 mph? @dk1 being a local on those lines would know better than me.

Naturally you're not keeping to time if you can't keep to the required speeds.

As regards a "desperate TOC" - can't see it without motive power, and it's rather unlikely DFT are going to let a TOC fund a fleet of locos to run the Mk5 sets around to say the least! So much for LHCS being an improvement. o_O

Yes you are correct mate. EMT as they were then objected to GA using the short hauled sets on the Norwich-Cambridge route (which they would’ve been perfect for) due to the Ely-Lakenheath speed penalty. 45mph is dreadfully slow & unlike now when we have an abundance of trains, could not keep to the tight turnarounds at Norwich in those bad old days.

RobShipway

Established Member
The 68s are going back to DRS to replace their heritage fleet.
But by that time you will have the class 93 loco's, which I believe can also work with the the MK5a coaches? Do we know as yet what tasks the class 93 is going to be rostered to do?

Killingworth

Established Member
But by that time you will have the class 93 loco's, which I believe can also work with the the MK5a coaches? Do we know as yet what tasks the class 93 is going to be rostered to do?

It will be on wired lines. The diesel and battery power isn't enough to do much more than shunting.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
I suspect it won’t be too long before we hear an Open Access proposal involving the Mk5as…