• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Potential weather disruption Tuesday 7th onwards - Storm Barra

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
I had a quick look through the thread and it doesn't look like this was posted yet. Railcam footage of the Dawlish IET Massacre:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I had a quick look through the thread and it doesn't look like this was posted yet. Railcam footage of the Dawlish IET Massacre:
Useful video to see sequence of events although we've seen worst footage of waves along this stretch but granted leaving these trains to be continually covered in salt spray wasn't going to help the situation. So either the drivers were given a fix to restart engines or a fitter with a laptop turned up or perhaps they just dried out.

Wychwood93

Useful video to see sequence of events although we've seen worst footage of waves along this stretch but granted leaving these trains to be continually covered in salt spray wasn't going to help the situation. So either the drivers were given a fix to restart engines or a fitter with a laptop turned up or perhaps they just dried out.
Thanks to najaB for putting that together. What stood out is just how much kit there is on the roof.

Annetts key

Established Member
A fitter did attend to 1A77 not long after it was declared a failure, but it remained failed for a long time after. Hence the rescue train…

Geoff DC

Can IETs be retrofitted to be rescued by HSTs /15x or any other traction/DMU that has run up and down that line since 1846 ???

I sailed on a Hitachi built ship in 1964 (when it was less than a year old) lovely design but the fit-out had a life expectancy of about 6 months.

Mission critical kit was literally falling over on the bridge after less than 12 months in service
Nice people but you wouldn't buy a car from them, let alone a fleet of trains

Attachments

• facebook_plymouth.jpg
    facebook_plymouth.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 62

Leisurefirst

Due to be travelling tomorrow morning Euston to Glasgow.
Was going to try to Seatfrog upgrade.
If the blockage is not cleared by then and I have to travel by LNER from King's Cross via Edinburgh instead (tickets are being accepted) could I still Seatfrog upgrade on the LNER service?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Thanks to najaB for putting that together. What stood out is just how much kit there is on the roof.
Most of it is the air conditioning pods plus the braking resistors on motor coaches which i guess are the source of earth faults that cause the engines to shut down.
Can IETs be retrofitted to be rescued by HSTs /15x or any other traction/DMU that has run up and down that line since 1846 ???

I sailed on a Hitachi built ship in 1964 (when it was less than a year old) lovely design but the fit-out had a life expectancy of about 6 months.

Mission critical kit was literally falling over on the bridge after less than 12 months in service
Nice people but you wouldn't buy a car from them, let alone a fleet of trains
A Hitachi Rail spokesperson said: “The new Intercity Express Trains are designed to cope with the South West’s sometimes stormy weather conditions and have already been rigorously tested including weather simulation tests at our Japanese factory.

Quote from article Class 802 Intercity Express Trains Will be Salt Water Proof

fgwrich

Established Member
A fitter did attend to 1A77 not long after it was declared a failure, but it remained failed for a long time after. Hence the rescue train…
Funny enough I did spot a Hitachi van appearing at Dawlish this morning, so one must have been not too far away.

What is also worth remember with todays incident is that these are the First Group ordered and conventionally leased 802s - though it seems there were a pair of the DfT 800s in Penzance this morning. That doesn't excuse the issue persistent design flaw though.

Master29

Established Member
One thinks that rather than cucumber green IET's should be lemon yellow.

londonmidland

Established Member
For those that are wondering what all the fuss is about, the strong winds haven’t actually arrived yet.

Overnight and early tomorrow morning, gusts up to 60-70mph will affect Wales. South Western, Central and parts of the North will be widely 45-55mph gusts.

In the South East, the far North West and Scotland, it should be relatively calmer.

dk1

Veteran Member
For those that are wondering what all the fuss is about, the strong winds haven’t actually arrived yet.

Overnight and early tomorrow morning, gusts up to 60-70mph will affect Wales. South Western, Central and parts of the North will be widely 45-55mph gusts.

In the South East, East Anglia, the far North West and Scotland, it should be relatively calmer.
A 755 has had a low speed collision with a tree at Somerleyton. The Lowestoft to Reedham line is currently blocked.

M&NEJ

It looks like the WCML is open again north of Lockerbie. From Realtime Trains, 107T Shieldmuir - Warrington is passing Beattock about 100 minutes late and 1S74 TP Liverpool - Glasgow approaching Lockerbie 89 minutes late.

CHAPS2034

Tree on the up slow somewhere around Harrow & Wealdstone according to NRE.

All other lines appear to be open.

jkkne

Been a bit of a non event compared to Arwen. More a business as usual autumnal storm

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Been a bit of a non event compared to Arwen. More a business as usual autumnal storm

Given that Storm Force 11 winds have just been recorded at Mumbles Head, with Force 9/10 all up the Welsh coast, I’d say that may be a little premature!

jkkne

Given that Storm Force 11 winds have just been recorded at Mumbles Head, with Force 9/10 all up the Welsh coast, I’d say that may be a little premature!

There’s still properties without power after Arwen, still roads and facilities closed. It’s a standard autumn storm. Force 10 is roughly 55-60, Arwen was force 12 on the scale, nigh on 100mph and gusting at 70mph.

It’s British wind, something we’re equipped for and deal with well.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Funny enough I did spot a Hitachi van appearing at Dawlish this morning, so one must have been not too far away.

What is also worth remember with todays incident is that these are the First Group ordered and conventionally leased 802s - though it seems there were a pair of the DfT 800s in Penzance this morning. That doesn't excuse the issue persistent design flaw though.

A Hitachi fitter had been provided at Dawlish in the event that something could happen as a proactive measure. The fitter was eventually able to "trick" the TMS on one of the sets that wasn't in special mode to get it moving again. Both the stranded trains got engines running at around the same time, which was when the weather got slightly less severe.

dk1

Veteran Member
A Hitachi fitter had been provided at Dawlish in the event that something could happen as a proactive measure. The fitter was eventually able to "trick" the TMS on one of the sets that wasn't in special mode to get it moving again. Both the stranded trains got engines running at around the same time, which I imagine was when the weather got slightly less severe.
That fitter is a superhero. Hats off to him/her.

fgwrich

Established Member
A Hitachi fitter had been provided at Dawlish in the event that something could happen as a proactive measure. The fitter was eventually able to "trick" the TMS on one of the sets that wasn't in special mode to get it moving again. Both the stranded trains got engines running at around the same time, which I imagine was when the weather got slightly less severe.
Indeed, he's certainly did well there and probably got quite the soaking for it. Though it isn't great to hear that 1A77 left limping towards Exeter on one sole working GU - at least 2 GU's were out of action when it left Plymouth, so it wasn't in the best of conditions when it approached the sea wall.

InOban

Established Member
There’s still properties without power after Arwen, still roads and facilities closed. It’s a standard autumn storm. Force 10 is roughly 55-60, Arwen was force 12 on the scale, nigh on 100mph and gusting at 70mph.

It’s British wind, something we’re equipped for and deal with well.
The weather was at its most severe in SW Ireland. It was their Met Office which named the storm. In the UK it was a major storm of the kind which occurs most but not all winters.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

InOban

Established Member
They jointly choose the list of names each September. But it's up to each Met Office to decide when a particular storm is worthy of being named. The next serious event could develop in the North Sea and only be of concern to the Dutch. It will still get the the C name. Just as Arwen wasn't a concern to Met Eirann.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
A Hitachi Rail spokesperson said: “The new Intercity Express Trains are designed to cope with the South West’s sometimes stormy weather conditions and have already been rigorously tested including weather simulation tests at our Japanese factory.
It's all well and good tossing a bit of salt water over a train in a testing facility, but they should've sent prototypes up and down Dawlish during storms.

ChrisC

Established Member
Barely noticed this one in London.
I think this one seemed quite localised with big variations in how severe it was even over relatively short distances. Here in Nottinghamshire there was about 3 hours of very heavy rain and strong winds around lunchtime yesterday but by mid afternoon the sky cleared and the wind really dropped. Only 40 miles away where my sister lives in Lincolnshire it was far more severe and lasted well into the evening.

No Spirit

Status
Not open for further replies.