• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prettiest Stations in the UK

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Luxton

Established Member
I can second Laxey! Lovely station and the village and harbour are nice too.
Yes and the delightful Great Laxey Mine Railway (usually open Saturdays in season) is just around the corner too, and then there is the mine to explore too!

HST43257

Established Member
Carbis Bay, a single platform looking across what might as well be the Mediterranean

Metrolink

Burneside. Although I’ve never stepped foot on the platform, it has always sprung to mind from the window of a Class 195.

greyman42

Established Member
Huddersfield for me. It's a massive, Grade 1 listed edifice with a facade reminiscent of the Euston arch and a statue of Harold Wilson in the forecourt. Looks best in the rain, I always think.
Once you get through the facade it's not so pretty.

Gathursty

Established Member
Ribblehead with the cosy heated shelter on the Carlisle platform.
Kemble is well kept and has a lovely garden off to the side.
Birmingham Moor Street/Leamington Spa/Keighley/Settle for period features.
My winner though is Hellifield.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
St Bees was one I recall on my September 2023 Global Eurailpass.

One station on the Penistone line from Huddersfield was also notable, but I failed to record in my notebook which one. It was six or seven stations after departing Huddersfield IIRC, close to the junction. (I was travelling to Sheffield).

Of the larger stations, to my surprise as I'd not looked up a photo prior to travel, Hull was very attractive, with a flower stall in the station adding to the atmosphere.

Truro is memorable for its pleasant buildings and semaphore signals, but the latter sadly won't be there forever.
I'm going to hazard a guess that the station you're thinking of is Brockholes- the disused up platform is in private hands and has been well maintained by the owners, with heritage features and signage. In my opinion it loses points for the active part of the station being rather minimalist and functional.

I'll add my vote to Hebden Bridge, a lovely little station in a very scenic setting. Though it's a little spartan in terms of facilities and convenience, Builth Road gets an honourable mention due to the scenery.

Western 52

Ferryside is in a wonderful scenic location alongside the estuary with views across to Llansteffan Castle. The views from the train are amazing, and although the station itself is basic, there's a neat signalbox still functioning (although not for much longer).

calopez

Forsinard. Though it might have changed a bit in the forty years since I last passed through there!

railfan99

Established Member
Ferryside is in a wonderful scenic location alongside the estuary with views across to Llansteffan Castle. The views from the train are amazing, and although the station itself is basic, there's a neat signalbox still functioning (although not for much longer).

Yes, from my Pembroke Dock-bound train in September 2023, I briefly admired it, and took more notice on the way back the next morning (after my 0659 hours start from lonely PD).

Wanting to cover the famous rural Wales to Shrewsbury line from Llanelli, regrettably I lacked time to alight and take in Ferryside. The compromises one makes on an intensive Global Eurailpass!

I'm going to hazard a guess that the station you're thinking of is Brockholes- the disused up platform is in private hands and has been well maintained by the owners, with heritage features and signage. In my opinion it loses points for the active part of the station being rather minimalist and functional.

Thank you.

Consulting Wiki (lacked sufficient photos) and penline.co.uk (more helpful), I believe it was Silkstone Common at which the 1512 hours Huddersfield to Sheffield (railcar 150003 - 3 cars with unattractive seating) stopped at from 154844 to 154910, being a minute late on departure, on Monday 18 September.

I recall only a single platform to the right in direction of travel (i.e. bound for Sheffield at which arrival was on time at 1628 hours).

I'd normally make a note but failed. Inconsistently, I wrote that the following station, Dodworth, was not just manned but had traditional UK-style boom barriers or interlocked gates.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I agree with those who say Lewes, however I've also had a soft spot for Eastbourne as well. Very ornamental and Victorian.

ChrisEL

If we're including the Underground, Chesham is a very nice place to wait for a train.

Purple Train

Established Member
Admittedly I've never been but I've always liked the look of the view from Harlech station. Limiting it to stations I have been to - I quite like Worksop.

SteveM70

Established Member
Hebden and Wemyss Bay for the view on the platforms

Kyle for the view from the platforms

The new(ish) bit with the semi-circular roof on the left hand side of Kings Cross for the best part of a station

Mat17

I've always liked the post refurb train shed at Manchester Piccadilly, nice fusion of old and new.

The Prisoner

Penrith is a cracking station. Pendolinos taking the curve at speed with often menacing skies, the castle and the beacon in background and the sandstone listed buildings....very atmospheric.

Video of the day to day here

Whisky Papa

Does having worked there disbar me for voting for Hebden Bridge? No matter, as in all honesty I would have to say Wemyss Bay is marginally my favourite.

John Luxton

Established Member
Another one I should have thrown in for my selection is Liskeard.

Interesting location, a rather unique station layout wise with the Liskeard and Looe Railway station being at 90 degrees to the Great Western mainline.

The waiting room in the Liskeard and Looe Railway station building has been fitted out with heritage displays. It is usually opened during the hours the station is staffed.

The mainline station building has also been tastefully modernised on the railway side with a glazed waiting area coffee shop which looks down to the mainline platforms.