• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pricey food outlets at stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statto

Established Member
A new Wetherspoons has opened up next to Liverpool Lime Street station, used to be the Head Of Steam, but cheap it aint, charged about £6.50 for pints of Carling & John Smiths, went to a table to sit down & they have menus which i looked at & £3.45 for a Carling, weirdly it's 10p cheaper for a Heineken which is stronger in alcohol volume, go to other Wetherspoons nearby & it's around £3 for a Carling.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thenorthern

Established Member
With beer quite often the cheapest county is Staffordshire which might be down the the fact that Burton upon Trent and previously Wolverhampton are within the county both of which produce massive amounts of beer.

Saying that though it might be because no station in Staffordshire has a pub within the station to sell overpriced beer to increase the average. Unless you count Codsall.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Did the changes at Barrow happen when First TPE took over? They tried to replace the long-established buffet at Huddersfield at the start of the franchise, thankfully people power meant the buffet stayed and a Pumpkin kiosk was installed at the top of the steps instead.

fowler9

Established Member
A new Wetherspoons has opened up next to Liverpool Lime Street station, used to be the Head Of Steam, but cheap it aint, charged about £6.50 for pints of Carling & John Smiths, went to a table to sit down & they have menus which i looked at & £3.45 for a Carling, weirdly it's 10p cheaper for a Heineken which is stronger in alcohol volume, go to other Wetherspoons nearby & it's around £3 for a Carling.

I just had a pint of Staropramen in the Wetherspoons on Lime Street Station for £3.25. You've been had. Ha ha.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It is always down to price and convenience: are you prepared to pay the station prices or walk (possibly with a suitcase) to somewhere a bit cheaper?

Greggs in the Frenchgate Centre in Donny does an unbeatable bacon and sausage baguette for £2.60, but do I really want to drag my case up the escalator when Pumpkin does a thin bacon sandwich for £1.25?

(Answer - yes, but on the other hand Pumpkin is open when Greggs isn't).

Incidentally, the best station cafe I've found is at Chester: cheap food and drink and directly at the station entrance. Seems to be independently run as well. No idea what it's called, unfortunately.

That one on Chester station is really good and cheap.

exile

Established Member
Would be a great idea for someone to start a guide to pubs/cafes within easy walking distance of a station.

Example

SANKEY Station -

"Traditions" sandwich shop, at the end of the station approach road. Coffee, tea, breakfast barms etc. Opens 6am.
"Chapel House" pub, end of Station Road.

Not a great pub goer myself, but to the cold/thirsty/hungry rail traveller having to wait for a train in the evening they're a godsend.

fowler9

Established Member
Would be a great idea for someone to start a guide to pubs/cafes within easy walking distance of a station.

Example

SANKEY Station -

"Traditions" sandwich shop, at the end of the station approach road. Coffee, tea, breakfast barms etc. Opens 6am.
"Chapel House" pub, end of Station Road.

Not a great pub goer myself, but to the cold/thirsty/hungry rail traveller having to wait for a train in the evening they're a godsend.

That is a cracking idea but probably difficult to do in the format of a forum.

extendedpaul

Sun newspaper offers a free small coffee or hot chocolate at Pumpkin, Upper Crust or Caffe Ritazza every week between Tuesday and Thursday. Print voucher or show on phone. Been running for at least a year.

It's supposed to be one per person but the terms and conditions don't make clear whether that means per week or per day and they don't scan the printed voucher when you use it. I'm not sure whether they tell you to delete it on the smartphone as I've only used printed vouchers.

You can get a voucher(s) each week just from one code on the back page of The Sun without actually buying it.:)

thenorthern

Established Member
Sun newspaper offers a free small coffee or hot chocolate at Pumpkin, Upper Crust or Caffe Ritazza every week between Tuesday and Thursday. Print voucher or show on phone. Been running for at least a year.

It's supposed to be one per person but the terms and conditions don't make clear whether that means per week or per day and they don't scan the printed voucher when you use it. I'm not sure whether they tell you to delete it on the smartphone as I've only used printed vouchers.

You can get a voucher(s) each week just from one code on the back page of The Sun without actually buying it.:)

A couple of supermarkets offer their loyalty card holders 1 free cup of coffee per day which is quite useful.

Statto

Established Member

That's one rag refuse to buy & i detest more than the Daily Mail, won't even use it as toilet paper.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Did the changes at Barrow happen when First TPE took over? They tried to replace the long-established buffet at Huddersfield at the start of the franchise, thankfully people power meant the buffet stayed and a Pumpkin kiosk was installed at the top of the steps instead.

It wouldn't surprise me. But then again, I've never been a fan of First TPE.

Commuter66

In my personal experience of many stations, the catering options and prices tend to fall into the following:

At large stations

i. McDonalds and Subway and supermarket chains tend to charge very similar to the local stores in their area.

ii. Burger King and National franchises only found in transport hubs are a rip off and should only be used if you have no other choice.

iii. Pricey restaurants with table service/ buffet.

At smaller stations

i. Volunteer run kiosks or not for profit kiosks. These tend to be in two forms and are often run by Friends of Rural Station or a local charity:
a. Cheap and cheerful food and plentiful portions.
b. Pricer food that is of excellent quality and worth the price as a treat.

ii. For profit independents. Again these tend to be in two forms but the profits are kept by the operator of the kiosk:
a. Similar to the type a) volunteer run kiosk but a little bit pricer.
b. Similar to type ii. franchises

iii. Overpriced vending machines in which the stock is kept at platform temperature and only ever replenished. Items in some vending machines have been there for a few months as no one has bought them...

iv. Berries on the bushes on the platform tend to be free, if they are in season and actually edible.

Last edited:

ScouserGirl

I've noticed train stations can be quite expensive it was £2 for a bottle of Volvic water in wh smith worst part is they know people will pay it!

lincolnshire

I've noticed train stations can be quite expensive it was £2 for a bottle of Volvic water in wh smith worst part is they know people will pay it!

At St.Pancreas station W.H. Smiths charge a fortune ( about 75p) for a pint of milk and next door M & S charge 45p for a pint of milk, milk is all the same isn,t it?
Why pay a fortune for water rather have a pint of milk myself ay least it will do you more good unless you don,t like milk.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Subway is an odd one. They started off like Burger King with prices set by the franchisee, and seem to have moved towards the McD's model of standardised pricing (with a few variations, e.g. some franchisees not allowing drink refills, and some not doing the large drink size recognising that it's fairly pointless as people *do* refill).

mirodo

As I think was mentioned somewhere up thread, it's cheaper to buy a copy of the Telegraph and get a free 750ml bottle of water that to buy the water itself.

johntea

Established Member
Quite easy now to scan the paper and water and pay, then as you walk out put the paper back with the other papers :lol:

Regardless I fail to see how WHSmiths are still going with their chronic prices, why would I ever use their services at Leeds for example (Where they have TWO outlets on the concourse unless the smaller one closed down, I can't quite remember!)

ScouserGirl

At St.Pancreas station W.H. Smiths charge a fortune ( about 75p) for a pint of milk and next door M & S charge 45p for a pint of milk, milk is all the same isn,t it?
Why pay a fortune for water rather have a pint of milk myself ay least it will do you more good unless you don,t like milk.

I don't really like milk haha!! But the thing is train station outlets know people will pay the prices!!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Regardless I fail to see how WHSmiths are still going with their chronic prices, why would I ever use their services at Leeds for example (Where they have TWO outlets on the concourse unless the smaller one closed down, I can't quite remember!)

See the queues in a Smiths at a train station or airport and you can see why they're still in business. People are either willing to pay for the convenience of not having to walk somewhere cheaper, or genuinely aren't aware of what they're paying - of fall for the 'special offers' that aren't really special.

The savings being big only because of the inflated prices in the first place.

These people are presumably the same who buy train tickets from the trainline.com

ScouserGirl

See the queues in a Smiths at a train station or airport and you can see why they're still in business. People are either willing to pay for the convenience of not having to walk somewhere cheaper, or genuinely aren't aware of what they're paying - of fall for the 'special offers' that aren't really special.

The savings being big only because of the inflated prices in the first place.

These people are presumably the same who buy train tickets from the trainline.com

WH smith is a con in train stations its like £2 for a bottle of Volvic Summer Fruits Water!! and as you said people will pay it as you wont want to walk somewhere else with all your luggage!

And does anyone actually still use trainline?

jon0844

Veteran Member
And does anyone actually still use trainline?

I am sure the answer is yes, because people still believe they can actually sell the same ticket as elsewhere for less, as against selling cheaper tickets (that ANYONE can sell).

You can say they make it clear that the savings aren't on the ticket itself, but rather compared to a more expensive ticket, but people either misread the text or don't read it at all.

Ironically, I'm not knocking someone who willingly pays a higher price for convenience such as a bottle of coke in a Smiths when the shop is next to the platform, or even someone who pays £1.75 to use a cash machine that's right there - instead of walking into town, but the trainline? Bar business account users, when would it EVER be justified to buy from them?!

ScouserGirl

I am sure the answer is yes, because people still believe they can actually sell the same ticket as elsewhere for less, as against selling cheaper tickets (that ANYONE can sell).

You can say they make it clear that the savings aren't on the ticket itself, but rather compared to a more expensive ticket, but people either misread the text or don't read it at all.

Ironically, I'm not knocking someone who willingly pays a higher price for convenience such as a bottle of coke in a Smiths when the shop is next to the platform, or even someone who pays £1.75 to use a cash machine that's right there - instead of walking into town, but the trainline? Bar business account users, when would it EVER be justified to buy from them?!

I go to M&S now for water as you can buy a 500ml drink for £1 haha!

I did used to use trainline many years ago, then I found out that the actually TOC doesn't charge you a booking fee so I started the TOCs website :)

mirodo

Bar business account users, when would it EVER be justified to buy from them?!

I don't even consider it to be justified in the case of business account users. I object on principal to anyone being overcharged, be that an individual or business. The tickets for my last business trip cost my company £64 (I specify specific trains to be booked on, as I don't want the company paying the inflated cost of Anytime fares). Alas, because they insist on using trainline, there is an additional "booking fee" of £1.50, plus a "fee" of £3.00 (presumably for paying by credit card). I would much rather use the VTEC website, but company policy is to use trainline.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I don't even consider it to be justified in the case of business account users. I object on principal to anyone being overcharged, be that an individual or business. The tickets for my last business trip cost my company £64 (I specify specific trains to be booked on, as I don't want the company paying the inflated cost of Anytime fares). Alas, because they insist on using trainline, there is an additional "booking fee" of £1.50, plus a "fee" of £3.00 (presumably for paying by credit card). I would much rather use the VTEC website, but company policy is to use trainline.

I thought the fees were a bit different for businesses, with benefits for accounting and other things like making changes or doing refunds. If so, possibly less of a problem - especially if paid monthly on account.

Howardh

Established Member
Not sure how the prices compare with the nearest shop outside Piccadilly; I find the Marks and Sparks food outlet ace for reasonably priced beers and wines to take on board, but the packed butties are a bit pricey. They also provide you with plastic glasses to go with them, very handy and appreciated, as is the selection of tights by the door....hang on....why have I noticed that?? :?

DelayRepay

Established Member

I'll have my WH Smith rant now. The reason they have queues is that they often just have one member of staff on duty, who is filling shelves. Customers are left to fend for themselves on the self-service tills (unless you want lottery tickets or fags in which case you have to go hunting around the shop for the assistant). And if you do use the self service till, it is programmed to offer you the large chocolate bars just like the sales assistant would!

I dislike WH Smith intensely <D

andyb2706

Worst place for pricy food and probably the poorest quality has to be Alton Towers.

£8.25 for a burger and £3.90 for pint of stella while you can sit outside and get stung to death in on some outside sticky table that no one bothers cleaning where someone has spilled numerous beverages and next to some screaming kids who can't sit still.

Reason being....you are a captive audience it is not as if you could nip outside for lunch as Alton Towers is in the middle of no where.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
£8.25 for a burger 'is not expensive'?

Okay.... :shock:

Tend to agree with you there.....if it is a bog standard poor quality burger, however if I believe I have found the daddy of burgers (which I have recently at a new food outlet that has opened up at Euston Station) I would be willing to pay that, I fear for Burger King on the station now.:)

jkkne

The GREGGS across the road from Newcastle Central is reasonably priced, in fact the same as all GREGGS, £2 for brekkie and a coffee.

They did used to have a heated counter kiosk in Central Station, which as a trial, sold VAT included hot pasties (which GREGGS don't do), it failed to work and the unit is now at Manchester Airport (minus the heated counter)

Status
Not open for further replies.