• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress of delivery of cascaded/refurbished/PRM modified stock to TFW/Wales and Borders

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Does anyone know what this move is?

37510 took Buffet Vehicle 10259 which had been languishing at Canton for ages back to Castle Donington and the 5 x Mark 3s with it. Perhaps as barrier vehicles.:-

www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K00262/2020-11-17/detailed

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cardiff123

Established Member
Latest issue of RAIL magazine is reporting (p. 31) TfW are to take on a further 2 x ex-WMT 153s from Porterbrook - these being 153371 & 375. TfW has PRM dispensations in place to continue operating all of it's 'short term/temporary' non-PRM compliant 153s beyond 31st December (this year).

(I've italicised 'short term/temporary' because it's 2 years until TfW's first new CAF DMU's are due in service - who wants to bet on TfW's 'temporary' 153s actually staying in service until then?)

Last edited:

Caaardiff

If they are from Porterbrook then surely they are only there to cover until the 769s are fully in service?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
If they are from Porterbrook then surely they are only there to cover until the 769s are fully in service?

That is correct. The 769s are a Porterbrook project and because of their delay Porterbrook offered the 153s to compensate for the shortfall

Caaardiff

Latest issue of RAIL magazine is reporting (p. 31) TfW are to take on a further 2 x ex-WMT 153s from Porterbrook - these being 153371 & 375. TfW has PRM dispensations in place to continue operating all of it's 'short term/temporary' non-PRM compliant 153s beyond 31st December (this year).

(I've italicised 'short term/temporary' because it's 2 years until TfW's first new CAF DMU's are due in service - who wants to bet on TfW's 'temporary' 153s actually staying in service until then?)
That is correct. The 769s are a Porterbrook project and because of their delay Porterbrook offered the 153s to compensate for the shortfall
So it's unlikely they will need to be kept after the dispensation expires unless for whatever reason the 769s are further delayed

Mrs. Fortescue

On Moderation
Have been told from a friend that 142s will go next month, but they’re hoping to hang on to 143s a little longer.

JakeMurphy

Been shown a picture that 175104 is at Widnes, so I presume shes getting a refurb along with 175102?

Bob Price

Two 67's with a DVT and MK4 take are leaving Crewe at 11.40 bound for Cardiff Canton on 3T45. 025 and 008 are topping and tailing

Bikeman78

Established Member
Because I'm interested in what date it hit the tree and how long it'll be away for. thank you
I can't recall the date but the front was fairly badly damaged. I wonder if they will do the refurbishment whilst it is there?

Caaardiff

Appears that way. 175102 is back at Alstom it seems, with nothing going in to replace it.

sd0733

Established Member
The remaining non-PRM 153s and the 143s as expected will only be permitted to run with a PRM unit from January 1st. As well as this the toilets will be permanently locked out on these units as theres an agreement with Network Rail to end use of non tank fitted toilets.

craigybagel

Established Member
Because I'm interested in what date it hit the tree and how long it'll be away for. thank you
Fair enough. It was 11th November. No idea how long it will take to fix though.
I can't recall the date but the front was fairly badly damaged. I wonder if they will do the refurbishment whilst it is there?
Maybe, maybe not. It's two very different sets of work and it might be easier to just repair 104 and get it back in service as is and refurb it at its booked time. I don't work in fleet planning or maintenance so it's hard to say.

It'll be repaired when it's repaired, and refurbished when it's refurbished.

Anonymous10

Established Member
The remaining non-PRM 153s and the 143s as expected will only be permitted to run with a PRM unit from January 1st. As well as this the toilets will be permanently locked out on these units as theres an agreement with Network Rail to end use of non tank fitted toilets.
there's gonna be a few angry and confused passengers getting off at stations to go to the loo they have to get off ro board another carriage when in pacer for obvious reasons

sw1ller

Established Member
Have all the 150’s/158’s had the toilets changed now? I was on one only a month or two ago that still had the old porcelain toilets. Can’t remember if it was a 150 or 158 though.

sd0733

Established Member
Have all the 150’s/158’s had the toilets changed now? I was on one only a month or two ago that still had the old porcelain toilets. Can’t remember if it was a 150 or 158 though.
Yes all done. Theres only the unmodified 153s left with those, the last 150 went in for upgrading in mid-July and the last 158 before that.

sd0733

Established Member
Anyone know which 158 is currently undergoing interior refurb. I know the latest one done is 830
Yes 830 was definitely the latest to be released. Of the unrefurbished ones 824/832/834 havent been allocated for at least couple of days so if ones in It can be narrowed down to one of those but thats about it at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.