• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheHolyGrayl

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The refurbished Pendolinos have mint green walls at the saloon ends by the new PIS and doors, (where they were fake wood brown with the original interior), yet that design inclusion seems to have been ommited on the 80x in favour of an awful plain white, which is a big shame I think.

I’m not trying to be deliberately pessimistic but it just looks very plain and clinical, and somewhat bland, compared to the refurbished 390 interior.

ZCreaser

Roger B

Just a 390 in an 80x body to me.
And, personally, I dislike travelling in a refurbed pendo even less than I did an unrefurbed one - they just feel so claustrophobic - nearly as bad as the GWR Mk3s ended up being.

It's the tall wide headrests, which restrict much of your view to the back of the seats in front, and it's difficult to see anything of the world passing by on the other side of the carriage (and often little better for the same side of the carriage, given poor window alignment and wide window stachions). And if you stand-up and look down the carriage, pretty much all you can see is seatbacks - such a poor comparison with Mk3s as first configured. Yes, headrests are needed, but early versions were nowhere near as intrusive/obstructive.

Yes, I get it that these trains are designed to move people from A to B, and most people will rarely lift their eyes from their screens, but for leisure travellers (who, we're told, are an increasingly significant part of the market), there are many (me included, and I suspect many others on this forum), for whom the experience is as or more important than getting to the destination. I enjoy watching the world go by, the ever changing landscapes, both natural and man-made, and railway infrastructure and constructions. Whilst I may pass a few hours seeing the sights of wherever I get to, it's usually the journeys themselves that provide the main enjoyment - and lasting memories - than whatever I may find at journey's end.

Which, I guess, is why I generally hop over the pennines and take a meridian to London. Whatever's said about the meridians, I find them airy, spacious, and I usually have no problem finding a window seat with a table with provides me with great views - and can easily see windows on the opposite side of the train to see what's happening there as well.

And I'm less bothered about what kind of seat I'm sat on, than what I can see. For me what you can see is the main part of a train journey - not how comfortable (or otherwise) the seat is. Perhaps many hours sat on BRUTEs all around the country desensitised my nether regions! It's the view that tells me I'm on a train, rather on some random seat that could be anywhere.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The refurbished Pendolinos have mint green walls at the saloon ends by the new PIS and doors, (where they were fake wood brown with the original interior), yet that design inclusion seems to have been ommited on the 80x in favour of an awful plain white, which is a big shame I think.

I’m not trying to be deliberately pessimistic but it just looks very plain and clinical, and somewhat bland, compared to the refurbished 390 interior.

It looks like the mint green to me. I prefer the dark blue on the Voyagers.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I went on two refurbished Pendolino earlier this month and liked them. I should therefore quite like these if ever I get to ride one, as they're not working Manchester services unless there are problems.

Energy

Established Member
Agreed, overall good but could do with some fake wood vinyl on the walls to the vestibule. An improvement on other 80Xs but could be improved.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
And, personally, I dislike travelling in a refurbed pendo even less than I did an unrefurbed one - they just feel so claustrophobic - nearly as bad as the GWR Mk3s ended up being.

It's the tall wide headrests, which restrict much of your view to the back of the seats in front, and it's difficult to see anything of the world passing by on the other side of the carriage (and often little better for the same side of the carriage, given poor window alignment and wide window stachions). And if you stand-up and look down the carriage, pretty much all you can see is seatbacks - such a poor comparison with Mk3s as first configured. Yes, headrests are needed, but early versions were nowhere near as intrusive/obstructive.

Yes, I get it that these trains are designed to move people from A to B, and most people will rarely lift their eyes from their screens, but for leisure travellers (who, we're told, are an increasingly significant part of the market), there are many (me included, and I suspect many others on this forum), for whom the experience is as or more important than getting to the destination. I enjoy watching the world go by, the ever changing landscapes, both natural and man-made, and railway infrastructure and constructions. Whilst I may pass a few hours seeing the sights of wherever I get to, it's usually the journeys themselves that provide the main enjoyment - and lasting memories - than whatever I may find at journey's end.

Which, I guess, is why I generally hop over the pennines and take a meridian to London. Whatever's said about the meridians, I find them airy, spacious, and I usually have no problem finding a window seat with a table with provides me with great views - and can easily see windows on the opposite side of the train to see what's happening there as well.

And I'm less bothered about what kind of seat I'm sat on, than what I can see. For me what you can see is the main part of a train journey - not how comfortable (or otherwise) the seat is. Perhaps many hours sat on BRUTEs all around the country desensitised my nether regions! It's the view that tells me I'm on a train, rather on some random seat that could be anywhere.
Oh well, a chance to improve on the Pendolinos missed. No need to cross the Pennines as I find a 350 perfectly fine and cheaper (thats if doing London/North-West). I went off Pendolinos early on in their existence when I went London to Glasgow on one. Poor view and incessant noise from the aircon - might as well fly for a lot less.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Will the 7 car 80x call at Poulton-le-Fylde on the EUS - BPN service. I suspect the platform length will be an issue
A quick line on google maps puts the length of the track at the Blackpool bound platform at ~168m, which is shorter than the 807's 182m (26m*7)
So indeed it will not fit, probably gonna be an 805s job then?

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
A quick line on google maps puts the length of the track at the Blackpool bound platform at ~168m, which is shorter than the 807's 182m (26m*7)
So indeed it will not fit, probably gonna be an 805s job then?
SDO/ASDO exists... although a quick look at RTT shows that the EUS - BPN services don't stop there? Although I may be wrong.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
SDO/ASDO exists... although a quick look at RTT shows that the EUS - BPN services don't stop there? Although I may be wrong.
Only Voyagers have stopped at the intermediate stations between Preston and Blackpool.
Avanti may use 805s on the Voyager runs, especially if they combine units at Crewe with North Wales services as they used to.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I didn't know if they'd have that because I've never noticed a too short Avanti platform
There's a once a day morning service (Weekdays only) to London that's currently run by a Voyager

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Only Voyagers have stopped at the intermediate stations between Preston and Blackpool.
Avanti may use 805s on the Voyager runs, especially if they combine units at Crewe with North Wales services as they used to.
Thanks for clarifying.
I didn't know if they'd have that because I've never noticed a too short Avanti platform
There's a once a day morning service (Weekdays only) to London that's currently run by a Voyager
Seeing as most new stock comes with it as standard, I don't see why it wouldn't have it... I reckon 805s will be needed more for North Wales if Avanti can pull their act together.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Haymarket doesn’t fit an 11-carriage Pendelino, it may be able to fit a 9-carriage set.

Seeing as most new stock comes with it as standard, I don't see why it wouldn't have it... I reckon 805s will be needed more for North Wales if Avanti can pull their act together.
I think it’s just the first Avanti service from Blackpool of the day that may be an 805, combining at Crewe with a service from Wrexham. Once at Euston the 10-carriage set can then work to and from Holyhead.

The Planner

Veteran Member

Also says
Diesel locomotive
Planned for 75mph max
Not very fitting for a 125mph capable train on its own power.
Its an ECS move to a depot. No one here is going to spend the time creating a bespoke set of running times for it.

HammerDown154

Thanks for the answers re Poulton-le-Fylde. As far as I know it was only ever the 5 car Voyager set that stopped at PLF either to/from EUS. I was just hoping that with the introduction of the 80x that PLF may feature again.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Have to admit I’m quite disappointed at how bland it looks, but unsurprised.

Every intercity train in the UK now just looks the same (bar the 390!) - This is just another bland, vanilla train which has slightly different seats. All character is being removed from the railway.

william.martin

On Moderation

Every intercity train in the UK now just looks the same (bar the 390!) - This is just another bland, vanilla train which has slightly different seats. All character is being removed from the railway.
Yep, the west coast mainline and the mainline to Norwich seems to be the only core route without an 80x.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Surely it just looks like a 390 with bigger windows?

Those seats are great, though. It could be pink with yellow polkadots and I'd still like them. In particular the legroom on Pendolinos is now excellent, shows how inefficient the old ones were.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Surely it just looks like a 390 with bigger windows?

Those seats are great, though. It could be pink with yellow polkadots and I'd still like them. In particular the legroom on Pendolinos is now excellent, shows how inefficient the old ones were.
I just see it more as an 80x with different seats I’m afraid.

I agree the seats are much better and very comfortable, but aside from that, the colouration and interior is very bland. Same as LNER, GWR, TPE, Lumo and Hull Trains, just with nicer green seats.

Some guy

Thanks for the answers re Poulton-le-Fylde. As far as I know it was only ever the 5 car Voyager set that stopped at PLF either to/from EUS. I was just hoping that with the introduction of the 80x that PLF may feature again.
I remember the 16:33 Euston to Blackpool north used to always stop at Kirkham and poulton it’s strange that the now 17:07 doesn’t as that’s booked a 5 car voyager. The 805s should definitely stop there eventually

Ken Bromage