• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

St. Paddy

RTT says left Loughborough

Seeing as they are at Melton Mowbray, I suspect that could be a class 730 move. 805 move cancelled due to paperwork issues apparently

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railperf

Established Member
As the 805/807 are derivatives of existing Class 800 fleet, does that mean acceptance, driver training and test running can start in earnest?

RailWonderer

Established Member
Disappointed posters here but the 80xs are a very plain train to start with. The Pendolino was built with tardis lights in the vestibules and curvy panels and roofing. There is not much you can do to an IET to make it interesting besides fit good seats to make the ride comfortable. I think the important thing is legroom, window alignment and comfort and the IETs already have the first two figured out, just the third will be improved over time, as the complaints have been loud enough for ToCs (especially EMR) to take notice on that one.

Now I hope Avanti will join the know your train feature on RTT so that I can avoid them when using Avanti.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Now I hope Avanti will join the know your train feature on RTT so that I can avoid them when using Avanti.

They do.

I'll be choosing them rather than avoiding them, but it'll be fairly easy in most cases:

Chester and North Wales or anything that works as a portion of one of those*: all 805
Liverpools that call at South Parkway: 807
Birminghams that call at stations south of Coventry: 807
Everything else: 390

* I half recall this being true of the occasional Blackpools but I forget.

Like with Voyagers at present, performance is significantly different so the chance of them turning up on something not diagrammed is very, very low.

On Moderation
Errrrr, news not just in: Avanti “know your train” allocations have been in RTT for some time.

RailWonderer

Established Member
They do.

I'll be choosing them rather than avoiding them, but it'll be fairly easy in most cases:

Chester and North Wales or anything that works as a portion of one of those*: all 805
Liverpools that call at South Parkway: 807
Birminghams that call at stations south of Coventry: 807
Everything else: 390

* I half recall this being true of the occasional Blackpools but I forget.

Like with Voyagers at present, performance is significantly different so the chance of them turning up on something not diagrammed is very, very low.
Ah, I forgot. I was confusing them with LNR who still haven't joined, where know your train would be useful for avoiding their incoming 730s. I have used RTT a good many times at Euston for platforms even in the last few months.

Snow1964

Established Member
As the 805/807 are derivatives of existing Class 800 fleet, does that mean acceptance, driver training and test running can start in earnest?
Going to have paperwork and certification for anything new or different, but clearly if lot already exists then much quicker than a completely new design.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ah, I forgot. I was confusing them with LNR who still haven't joined, where know your train would be useful for avoiding their incoming 730s. I have used RTT a good many times at Euston for platforms even in the last few months.

With 3+2 having been dropped, I can't see a reason to worry about 730s. If you want to avoid short-forms, you can use TIGER* at most LNR stations.

* https://tiger.worldline.global/home

route101

Established Member
Southeastern Highspeed uses 395's, which feel nothing like an IET on the inside (thanks to their commuter - style layout), despite being part of the same family
The 385s feel more similar to the 800, no surprise why.

TheHovisKid

Errrrr, news not just in: Avanti “know your train” allocations have been in RTT for some time.
Sssh!
I've been amazing my colleague (non-crank) with a twice daily game of guess the Pendolino, and "accidentally" getting just enough right to be ahead

Harold

Richard Clinnick advises a pathway for Units 001 and 003 to Oxley tomorrow (Thursday 2/2/2023) is scheduled after it was cancelled on Monday 30/1/2023 owing to "paperwork issues":

The_Train

Established Member
Richard Clinnick advises a pathway for Units 001 and 003 to Oxley tomorrow (Thursday 2/2/2023) is scheduled after it was cancelled on Monday 30/1/2023 owing to "paperwork issues":

Expected to be 56 hauled I believe, instead of under their own power

CAF397

From the videos I've seen were their Generator Units running?

The 56, whilst coupled using an adapter coupler for the air supply, does not have ETS for the electrics. Tail lights were illuminated and not a portable tail light on the rear.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
From the videos I've seen were their Generator Units running?
Certainly looks like it. I think it was just to give the units power for the essential equipment to run though, such as the tail lights.

A tad unusual that the units weren’t totally dead with a portable light, but I’m sure there would’ve been a reason for that.

CAF397

I was referencing the Signal interference comment in post #500. Surely with GUs running they are operational, and therefore any signal interference is still possible.

futureA

New trains are always welcome but these Class 800’s are becoming a plague! There’s too many of them.

I wish more operators would order those excellent Stadler Flirts of the type Greater Anglia have.

InOban

Established Member
What's the plan now? Straight into driver training or do they still need extended fault free running?

Established Member
New trains are always welcome but these Class 800’s are becoming a plague! There’s too many of them.

I wish more operators would order those excellent Stadler Flirts of the type Greater Anglia have.
And then there would be a plague of them, All of Anglia and Wales have/are getting them.