• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Project Oval: TfL win DfT contract to expand contactless system to 233 rail stations by May 2024, Railcards coming to contactless payment cards

MrJeeves

Established Member
From people upthread it sounds like the solution TfL is planning for is to use a TfL issued card that uses the backend used for contactless transactions. By using a TfL issued card, it is still possible for TfL to write the contactless discount on the card locally (as well as at the backend for processing).
That's just misguided guesses. The contract is to support contactless bank cards. They might also have their own "new Oyster" in the future, but I don't see the reason to store railcard info on the card when the processing will all be done back-office as well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tomuk

Established Member
From people upthread it sounds like the solution TfL is planning for is to use a TfL issued card that uses the backend used for contactless transactions. By using a TfL issued card, it is still possible for TfL to write the contactless discount on the card locally (as well as at the backend for processing).
You are conflating two different projects the rollout of TFL contactless to stations in the south east and a separate project by TfL to reduce their Oyster support costs by replacing the old but 'intelligent' Oyster with a 'dumb token' contactless smart card. TfL are leveraging the developments required for the DfT rollout such as railcard acceptance to further the overall development of their contactless system.

Richardr

GTR's keyGo and various other tap-and-go schemes need a picture of your railcard, and then apply the discount to your account online.
I've recently done this, and it works easily. However, I have one KeyGo card. Are there different issues when I have three different visa cards registered to my Tfl contactless account? Personally I would have thought that as long as the billing is done at the backend once a day, then I would just need the railcard registered to my TfL account and that would take the railcard into account when billing me on whichever card I've used that day.

fandroid

Established Member
People seem determined on here to invent security requirements for problems of very little consequence. If a contactless card has no Railcard registered to it then the back office will simply charge an undiscounted fare! The punter could tap through a gate claiming to have a Railcard and the most appropriate response from staff would just be to laugh.

Multiple registrations of one Railcard to various bank cards will be prevented by attaching the Railcard reference number to the first bank card. That must happen with Oyster now, so is no issue. The expiry date is attached to the Oyster too, so another problem vanishes.

If a Railcard holder lends his mate his only bank card that's registered then he/she can't use it and if an inspector at a gate suspects inappropriate use, then asking for id is likely to catch that one out. No bigger problem than already exists with borrowing high value Oyster cards.

JaJaWa

Established Member
This is actually a hugely difficult task, unless this hypothetical card is produced by MasterCard or Visa. Hence why it won't happen.

Many of the US transit system smartcards are produced by/with MasterCard. Hence why the "hack" to use them to get a free day of travel on TfL works (the card is only blocked after a day when it's realised there is no actual money on them).

Project Proteus aims to make Oyster an account based ticketing system, which would remove the system limitation on oyster zones.

Yes: Project Proteus: New features in TfL revenue collection tender

matt_world2004

Established Member
That's just misguided guesses. The contract is to support contactless bank cards. They might also have their own "new Oyster" in the future, but I don't see the reason to store railcard info on the card when the processing will all be done back-office as well.
The contract is not to support just bank cards. Intact the service specification for project oval requires TfL to develop a solution for those that do not have bank cards

JaJaWa

Established Member
I guess if it was paper tickets a solution would not need to be developed.

Seems to be the actual solution though (at least at this stage):
"...passengers who cannot, or do not wish to, access bank cards or mobile phones may continue to use paper tickets."

etr221

My understanding is the way PAYG using contactless bank payment card (credit or debit) works is that all touches are reported to the backend processing system, and at the end of day, these are analysed to work out journeys have been made, hence what fares are due (allowing for capping, etc.), and then the bill is sent to the bank/payment card system, which hopefully pays it - if not, the card is (can be) blacklisted to prevent future use until the matter is resolved. Something to be noted is that until the backend processing has happened, the railway/TfL has no knowledge of what journeys are being, or have been, made.

While - in theory - there is nothing to stop bank payment cards being associated with railcards, and a discounted fare being calculated, what I believe cannot be done is for anything recording this to be written to the bank card, and - more generally - there are all sorts of issues (legal, privacy, etc.) to be resolved in the three way relationship between railway, card issuer and card holder/passenger (as an individual): to what extent these have been approached and explored I have no idea.

The 'new generation', account based, Oyster card referred to under 'Project Proteus' will, while working in many ways the same as bank cards in calculating a daily bill, have the advantage that it a railway/TfL product, subject to their conditions (including the right to write what they will to the card, and to say how it can be used), without any need to refer a third party, including whether and how it can be linked to railcards, etc.

JacobWrenn

Certainly not as far out as Portsmouth and Alton from what’s been said on here. I believe Farnborough will be the extent of contactless on the main line and Aldershot on the Alton line?

Gigabit

Certainly not as far out as Portsmouth and Alton from what’s been said on here. I believe Farnborough will be the extent of contactless on the main line and Aldershot on the Alton line?

Is there any reason they're choosing to stop it there? What's significant about Aldershot? Surprised they wouldn't go to Farnham?

CyrusWuff

Established Member
There has yet to be a public announcement beyond the map in the consultation, merely educated guesswork.

All that's known is that 52 stations are included in the first phase, with a further 180 or so in the second.

davews

My understanding is the way PAYG using contactless bank payment card (credit or debit) works is that all touches are reported to the backend processing system, and at the end of day, these are analysed to work out journeys have been made, hence what fares are due (allowing for capping, etc.), and then the bill is sent to the bank/payment card system, which hopefully pays it - if not, the card is (can be) blacklisted to prevent future use until the matter is resolved. Something to be noted is that until the backend processing has happened, the railway/TfL has no knowledge of what journeys are being, or have been, made.
Not quite, because you can see your 'today's journeys' on the TFL website with estimated cost within an hour or so. But you are correct in that it is not known if the card is valid and it will come out of the bank until the final processing has been done overnight.

fandroid

Established Member
Is there any reason they're choosing to stop it there? What's significant about Aldershot? Surprised they wouldn't go to Farnham?
Then there are very few stations left on the line! Not covering those will cause more problems than are otherwise being avoided

hwl

Established Member
Are they going to allow Contactless on SWR services to Portsmouth and Alton?
Then there are very few stations left on the line! Not covering those will cause more problems than are otherwise being avoided
The boundaries have been revised outwards in few cases since the initial proposal in the public draft, Alton is now included.

Gigabit

Fantastic news as a regular user of that line for many years. Tap2Go works well but being able to use my phone to pay instead would be very useful indeed.

jon81uk

There's nothing elaborate required. It would work in exactly the same way as the database of hotlisted/blocked contactless and Oyster cards. It doesn't need to be 100% real time, in the same way that the aforementioned existing database doesn't update instantly - hourly or even overnight updating would suffice to catch out 99% of misuse.

There are far bigger holes and issues with the Oyster and contactless system. People really are making a mountain out of a molehill over this; the main reason why Railcards haven't been rolled out further is because TfL haven't been given the required funding to get Cubic to do the development work. There's no technological reason why it's unfeasible. It isn't a priority within TfL's limited budget unless and until paper/magstripe tickets are totally withdrawn.

Exactly, given if you add railcard discount to an existing Oyster it isn't checked all the time I don't see what all the fuss on this forum is about railcard checks on contactless. They just need a simple system so one railcard can be added to one bank card and it is checked at the time of being added to the account, pretty much the same as Oyster.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Exactly, given if you add railcard discount to an existing Oyster it isn't checked all the time I don't see what all the fuss on this forum is about railcard checks on contactless.
The fuss is that it is not checked at the point of use.

There are two very simple scenarios here for fraud.

1. Person A has a railcard and person B does not. Person A 'lends' their railcard enabled contactless card to person B who travels at a discounted fare without the railcard. This cannot be detected by on train scanning devices.

2. Person A makes a fraudulent application for a second railcard, applying this to Person B's contactless card. Person B then travels using that card. Again, this cannot be detected by on train scanning devices.

There is no obligation to travel on your own Contactless card, and I personally have never had an inspector ask me for an identity check that I am using my own card.

Your point about one railcard = one contactless card is clearly one anti fraud measure but it isn't enough.

jon81uk

The fuss is that it is not checked at the point of use.

1. Person A has a railcard and person B does not. Person A 'lends' their railcard enabled contactless card to person B who travels at a discounted fare without the railcard. This cannot be detected by on train scanning devices.

2. Person A makes a fraudulent application for a second railcard, applying this to Person B's contactless card. Person B then travels using that card. Again, this cannot be detected by on train scanning devices.

There is no obligation to travel on your own Contactless card, and I personally have never had an inspector ask me for an identity check that I am using my own card.

Your point about one railcard = one contactless card is clearly one anti fraud measure but it isn't enough.

But currently if someone has their railcard added to an Oyster card are any checks regularly done at the point of use?
Surely the exact same scenario you describe could happen with the current system, the only difference being it is possible for the Oyster to show as having the discount loaded, but does anyone actually get checked?

miklcct

On Moderation

This can be easily detected:

Person A lends their railcard enabled contactless card to person B. The device matches the hash of the card to the database loaded, which shows a railcard. Person B can't show the railcard and is penalty fared on the spot.

As long as one day is required between the application and the usage, this can be done.

Trainbike46

Established Member
But currently if someone has their railcard added to an Oyster card are any checks regularly done at the point of use?
Surely the exact same scenario you describe could happen with the current system, the only difference being it is possible for the Oyster to show as having the discount loaded, but does anyone actually get checked?
Oyster allows checks at point of use to be done, though they don't seem frequent as I have not been asked to show my railcard (other than to add the discount to the card in the first place) ever on the TfL network. Though maybe if I lived in london and was commuting I would have been asked for it

hvordan

but does anyone actually get checked?
I've had my 18-25 linked to my Oyster card for nearly 3 years and have never had it checked, ever. Neither has my partner who has had theirs linked for 2 years, and they use the trains more than I do.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Exactly, given if you add railcard discount to an existing Oyster it isn't checked all the time I don't see what all the fuss on this forum is about railcard checks on contactless. They just need a simple system so one railcard can be added to one bank card and it is checked at the time of being added to the account, pretty much the same as Oyster.
The fact that railcards are not checked most of the time on Oyster is immaterial. The DfT want the ability to check, and will not sign off on a system that doesn't allow them to do so.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Both of these issues (which are highly marginal, in any event) would be resolved if the existing hotlist/blocked database were expanded to include details of the Railcards applied to particular cards. It's not rocket science and I'm struggling to understand why people keep suggesting that this is a huge blocker to the rollout of Railcards on contactless! All it takes is a bit of funding - but that money has not been forthcoming yet.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
People seem determined on here to invent security requirements for problems of very little consequence.

Indeed.

Some time ago I proposed a system on here for barcode based e-ticketing.

It was rubbished on the grounds of insufficient security.

A year or two later and an e-ticketing system was implemented that was very close to what was proposed but was slightly less secure... :)

PeterC

Established Member
Indeed.

Some time ago I proposed a system on here for barcode based e-ticketing.

It was rubbished on the grounds of insufficient security.

A year or two later and an e-ticketing system was implemented that was very close to what was proposed but was slightly less secure... :)
Verily I say unto you, No prophet is accepted in his own country

Luke 4:24

zero

When I had a railcard attached to my Oyster, the railcard was checked every time my oyster was checked - which was not often but did happen about once a year. This included inside stations and just after exiting stations.

Fazaar1889

Kent and Medway commuters set to benefit from London’s ‘tap and go’ ticketing system roll out, Department for Transport announces​

Rail commuters could benefit from cheaper and simpler journeys as a smart ticketing system looks set to be rolled out to parts of Kent.

It comes after Transport for London (TfL) and the government announced that 181 stations across the wider South East rail network should be connected with “Tap and Go” by March 2025 – but it has not yet been disclosed which ones will reap the rewards
I thought it was going to roll out in 2024? Was it announced to be delayed until March 2025?