• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proof thetrainline is not cheaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
How could I get through to somebody that thetrainline is never cheaper?

I've tried comparing, but they still don't believe me, so I need solid proof.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
You cannot persuade another person of something if they don't want to believe it.

The way I look at it. Some people are, quite frankly, stupid (with the exception of people who have to book through corporate arrangements, etc). They are keeping some people in a job and off the benefits system. So all is well.

You can only do so much.

Surely you open two browser windows order two identical tickets and when you come to the pay screen the prices will differ? Or is that to simple?

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I see some people on local journeys using tickets from online providers, so I guess this isn't totally biased. If it was, I would've done a railcard discounted Ryde Pier Head - Ryde Esplanade. <D.

W1rxVL9.png

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Surely you open two browser windows order two identical tickets and when you come to the pay screen the prices will differ? Or is that to simple?

This could cause a problem if the first browser "picks" the last available Advance ticket in a particular price tier.

This could work if only using walk-on tickets, however it can be a struggle to convince some people that it makes sense to compare walk-on fares as they (incorrectly) insist that Advance fares are always cheaper.

Nym

Established Member
This could cause a problem if the first browser "picks" the last available Advance ticket in a particular price tier.

This could work if only using walk-on tickets, however it can be a struggle to convince some people that it makes sense to compare walk-on fares as they (incorrectly) insist that Advance fares are always cheaper.

Just open the ticket in the TOC online sales first...

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I was told something along the lines of, "it depends on who holds the tickets and if thetrainline buy tickets and sell them off thats how you get the cheap tickets" :roll:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
In a world of price comparison sites and discount hotel retailers, it's difficult to persuade anyone that TheSheepLine are neither. When I explain that all the websites use the same booking engine, I get blank looks.

I managed to get the Leeds-based charity I used to work for off TheSheepLine and on to EastCoast, because of the rewards programme, so that was a start I suppose.

Some people just won't be told. It's up to TOCs to try and put TheSheepLine in their place. I know Northern keep trying but still.

Goatboy

Established Member
It doesnt help that according to Google Maps, thetrainline is the correct URL for every railway station in the country.

Johnny_w

Stupid question alert :- Why are things like the trainline... 1. Allowed to exist anyways & 2. Allowed to claim these wild %age reduction claims.

JW

Eagle

Established Member
Stupid question alert :- Why are things like the trainline... 1. Allowed to exist anyways & 2. Allowed to claim these wild %age reduction claims.

1. Because the way the railways were privatized in this country included allowance for outside agents to sell train tickets (as a form of competition).

2. There's always a footnote saying "compared to buying on the day". It's just that it's neglecting to say that the same is true of every booking site and office.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Interesting that despite all the charges, the Trainline is still a loss-making business: this article states that it lost £1 million last year on sales of £1.4 billion. Combining that with ATOC figures of the average cost per journey of £4.95, I make it that the Trainline loses approximately 0.4 pence on every ticket it sells.

I guess it goes to show that the train companies have made it incredibly difficult for third party retailers to make a profit, with the reduced commission they get these days and the charges that have to be paid out to the TOCs for Ticket-on-demand collection.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I don't think it has ever been easy for third party retailers to make money on train travel sales. Even back in the 80s when travel agents routinely did it, most were only really interested if you were also booking hotels at the same time.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I don't think tickets purchased from the trainline are for average journeys though. Most people I know are more likely to buy online for a long-distance journey, and buy on the day in the station for a local one. Another reference point is that raileasy's average ticket price is £58.

Quite how they can be losing money boggles the mind, even allowing for the fees detailed here

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
According to this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...ainline.com-build-steam-towards-sell-off.html one they made a profit of nearly £9 million last year.

The business, which is majority-owned by private equity firm Exponent, saw a 63pc rise in pre-tax profits to £8.78m for the year to March 31. This came despite spending £2m on advisory fees linked to a sales process pulled in July 2012.

The business also made a £5.4m loss on the sale of Advanced Smartcard Technologies to Dutch-based Bell Identification in November last year.

Profits were boosted by a 6.5pc rise to £1.4bn in the value of rail tickets sold, with group turnover standing at £108m.

Note the turnover figure - this suggests that as agents they are receiving fees etc directly for the ticket sales they make, but that the value of the tickets themselves goes direct to the issuing TOC.

As a percentage of turnover, the profit is a very high margin indeed!

Last edited:

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I see. So the £1 million loss does not really reflect the finances of the train-ticket selling part of the business, but rather the way the owners have saddled the company with the debt they took out in order to buy it from Virgin. Such is the way a lot of business operates I suppose.

londiscape

I was told something along the lines of, "it depends on who holds the tickets and if thetrainline buy tickets and sell them off thats how you get the cheap tickets" :roll:

I thought it was illegal to resell railway tickets - I just had a look at the back of mine and the text seems not to be printed on them nowadays, but I'm sure I remember something along the lines of 'this ticket remains the property of National Rail (or BR as it then was) and is not transferable or resaleable'

------ edit
This recognises the difference between 'reselling' a ticket that a person or entity has bought for him/her/it self and acting as a 'third party agent' which I believe is what TTL do.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
I thought it was illegal to resell railway tickets - I just had a look at the back of mine and the text seems not to be printed on them nowadays, but I'm sure I remember something along the lines of 'this ticket remains the property of National Rail (or BR as it then was) and is not transferable or resaleable'

It is. The quotation ATWalex101 made was incorrect, hence the smiley.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Why are people so upset about thetrainline?

Their adverts suggest that they give better value for money than an alternative product, yes, just like most adverts for products do though. You're not likely to see an ASDA advert pointing out that Tesco are doing a similar "multi-buy" promotion, are you?

Eagle

Established Member
You're not likely to see an ASDA advert pointing out that Tesco are doing a similar "multi-buy" promotion, are you?

(I totally agree with your point, but bad example there: Asda's current adverts are saying that Tesco are doing a price match special offer thing, whereas Asda are doing a price match plus 10% off.)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Their adverts suggest that they give better value for money than an alternative product, yes, just like most adverts for products do though. You're not likely to see an ASDA advert pointing out that Tesco are doing a similar "multi-buy" promotion offering better value, are you?

Add the words in bold and you will be spot on. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.