• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proposed new GatEx livery on proposed new Class 387s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Well Rhydgalad has a thing about end doors, but somehow I think a 387 with wide doors is much more suited to Airport passengers and commuters.
Actually, I have a thing about commuter-doors (1/3,2/3 or 1/4,3/4 or whatever they're called) being used on anything other than frequent-stopping, short-distance, commuter-type services. But you're right, I 'have a thing'. The end-doors on a 175 for instance waste less space than 1/3,2/3 commuter-doors. That means end-doors allow for more, or more-comfortable, seating, which is what you want if you are on a long, or longish, journey.

Of course you don't want long dwell times if there are stops every two or three minutes, and of couse commuter-doors are more suitable for short-distance commuter services. But why are commuter-doors seen as more suitable for airport passengers too?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
Well Rhydgalad has a thing about end doors, but somehow I think a 387 with wide doors is much more suited to Airport passengers and commuters.

+1

I don't think any of the users will worry about them having 1/3 + 2/3 doors.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Actually, I have a thing about commuter-doors (1/3,2/3 or 1/4,3/4 or whatever they're called) being used on anything other than frequent-stopping, short-distance, commuter-type services. But you're right, I 'have a thing'. The end-doors on a 175 for instance waste less space than 1/3,2/3 commuter-doors. That means end-doors allow for more, or more-comfortable, seating, which is what you want if you are on a long, or longish, journey.

Of course you don't want long dwell times if there are stops every two or three minutes, and of couse commuter-doors are more suitable for short-distance commuter services. But why are commuter-doors seen as more suitable for airport passengers too?

1/3 or 2/3etc. They aren't commuter doors - they are standard doors. Therefore you need to justify why not to use them rather than why to use them.

Because the passengers can have lots of large luggage and want to sit near their luggage so they can see it, you can't do this in the middle of an end door carriage where the luggage racks are 10m away. These services will also be rather full during rushhour on the ones extended to Brighton.

Personally I've always been quite happy with using 377s to get to/from Gatwick and can't see what the fuss is about

Established Member

The problem is that many medium to long distance routes have very heavy peak time commuter flows which are far more suited to 1/3, 2/3 doors, I've been on Sheffield to Manchester services worked by EMT 158's which have been rammed and its taken 4 or 5 min's for passengers to get on and off while the 185's on the route handle it much better.

As for why they are better for Airport services "hwl" explains it

Last edited:

Class377/5

Established Member
New Gatwick Express units are confirmed as Class 387/2 in TSGN franchise agreement.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The problem is that many medium to long distance routes have very heavy peak time commuter flows which are far more suited to 1/3, 2/3 doors, I've been on Sheffield to Manchester services worked by EMT 158's which have been rammed and its taken 4 or 5 min's for passengers to get on and off while the 185's on the route handle it much better.

Likewise with the FGW 158s on the Portsmouth - Cardiff route - the turnover of passengers at Southampton takes about 5 mins in the peaks. People explain this every few weeks, usually in response to one of Rhydgaled's repeats...

Status
Not open for further replies.