• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proposed new station for Elland

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Challenge

Established Member
Will Grand Central services call here?
They can choose can't they, subject to the path having room in it. There doesn't seem to be, only Engineering allowances, and they are only one minutes each (three).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

itsjustmyjob

If the people of Elland feel the walk is too much the 503 runs every 10 minutes to ease their walk.

...and once on the 503 they'll stay on it to Huddersfield or Halifax (especially if First choose to offer competitive fares)

I can't see the train being used very much by locals to those places.

AndyHudds

...and once on the 503 they'll stay on it to Huddersfield or Halifax (especially if First choose to offer competitive fares)

I can't see the train being used very much by locals to those places.

Brighouse is the same though, the X63 runs every 10 minutes to Huddersfield, how many people catch the train between Brighouse and Huddersfield? I have a few times but only if changing from elsewhere. You're probably right but it'll serve a big leisure market will a new Elland station, Manchester and Leeds and if GC start calling there, London too.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Brighouse is the same though, the X63 runs every 10 minutes to Huddersfield, how many people catch the train between Brighouse and Huddersfield? I have a few times but only if changing from elsewhere. You're probably right but it'll serve a big leisure market will a new Elland station, Manchester and Leeds and if GC start calling there, London too.

I did the other day. Well, the other way round to go to an interview.

Coming back I was luckily in time for the 1503 GC service to get me back in 20 odd mins to Wakefield.

Tractor37

There's plenty of slack in the Bradford - Huddersfield timetable with trains parked up for ages in Halifax station. I wonder if Northern will try and get better slots next time the timetable is revised?

The slack is built in for the stations at Low Moor now opened, Elland whenever it opens and then pathing at Bradley Junction for the TPE's to pass.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member

When I've passed through Brighouse, there's around a dozen or so waiting for Huddersfield.

What irritates me is that you can't purchase a Metro bus and rail day rover on the train anymore when bording at Brighouse, so you have no choice but to bus it to Huddersfield to get it which is even more cash down the drain.

Hopefully when Elland opens it'll end up with ticket machines whch hopefully will sell the West Yorkshire rovers.

AndyHudds

When I've passed through Brighouse, there's around a dozen or so waiting for Huddersfield.

What irritates me is that you can't purchase a Metro bus and rail day rover on the train anymore when bording at Brighouse, so you have no choice but to bus it to Huddersfield to get it which is even more cash down the drain.

Hopefully when Elland opens it'll end up with ticket machines whch hopefully will sell the West Yorkshire rovers.

Nor can you buy them at post offices either anymore which is equally annoying.

bradford758

The slack is built in for the stations at Low Moor now opened, Elland whenever it opens and then pathing at Bradley Junction for the TPE's to pass.
It is a 6-minute waiting time.
The trains used to wait down at Bradley junction for a Transpennine and a Northern Rail (not currently at that time? ).
Currently they have to wait at Halifax as there's a Manchester Vic to Leeds stopper through Brighouse

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Hopefully TRU (Transpennine Rail Upgrade) will signifcantly increase the capacity between Thornhill LNW and Huddersfield to help these issues.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Elland to Bradford and Leeds could be significant flows. In both cases the journey is difficult by bus (unlike Brighouse to Bradford and Leeds).

AndyHudds

Elland to Bradford and Leeds could be significant flows. In both cases the journey is difficult by bus (unlike Brighouse to Bradford and Leeds).

Think it's win win really for Elland is this, all the major destinations in West Yorkshire can be reached direct plus Manchester, Rochdale, Hebden Bridge, Dewsbury, Mirfield and London if GC start to call there which I imagine they will do if they call at Low Moor.

D6130

Established Member
I seem to remember that the new station at Elland - currently the largest town in West Yorkshire without a rail passenger service - was due to open in 2023. However, all seems to have gone very quiet on the subject recently and last time I went past in a train, about three months ago, there was no evidence of 'spades in the ground'. Does anyone here know what the latest situation is?

YorksLad12

Established Member
All I can find is this: https://www.westyorks-ca.gov.uk/projects/west-yorkshire-plus-transport-fund/elland-rail-station/ It also doesn't appear on the latest list of pipelined projects reported to the December Combined Authority meeting: https://westyorkshire.moderngov.co.... 6 - Appendix 1 List of Pipeline projects.pdf

White Rose is end of 2023, I think Thorpe Park was supposed to be some time in 2025 depending on what else happens (TRU, mainly). But Elland and LBIA Parkway have gone a bit quiet.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
All I can find is this: https://www.westyorks-ca.gov.uk/projects/west-yorkshire-plus-transport-fund/elland-rail-station/ It also doesn't appear on the latest list of pipelined projects reported to the December Combined Authority meeting: https://westyorkshire.moderngov.co.uk/documents/s28748/Item 6 - Appendix 1 List of Pipeline projects.pdf

White Rose is end of 2023, I think Thorpe Park was supposed to be some time in 2025 depending on what else happens (TRU, mainly). But Elland and LBIA Parkway have gone a bit quiet.
I presumed that list only included those that were put forward for increased funding.

Bradford Forster Square is also missing if I recall correctly. Which ain't a bad thing!

YorksLad12

Established Member
It's not about increased funding; it's about creating a steady pipeline or queue of projects, pausing them at each of the major project stages and making sure the funds are in place for the next stage to happen, rather than setting them all off at once. If Elland hasn't been paused at Outline Business Case or Full Business Case then it's either because it's too late and work has started (which @D6130 says hasn't happened) or because it's still at the Strategic (Outline) Business Case stage - which means it's years away. Or, it's not a WYCA-funded scheme (which the TRU works aren't, for example).

bluenoxid

Established Member
FBC due in November 2023.

Bradford Forster Square Station Gateway due in July with decision due later in the year

Spartacus

Established Member
Delaying Elland makes sense as the route will be needed for intense use during future diversions, might as well wait until after those are done.

MichaelTrains

I presumed that list only included those that were put forward for increased funding.

Bradford Forster Square is also missing if I recall correctly. Which ain't a bad thing!
Bradford Forster Square is crying out for a new development.

The current facilities and layout of the station are outdated and unhelpful.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Bradford Forster Square is crying out for a new development.

The current facilities and layout of the station are outdated and unhelpful.

It's not that bad!

I can't actually see anything wrong with the layout either especially to justify spending £15 million on it!

It could probably do with a few more platforms although that is outside the scope of this project.

Islandexpress

Think a number of the WYCA schemes inc Halifax station have been delayed until the cost of borrowing stabilised.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If anyone would like to make any proposals/suggestions for any improvements to any stations, please do create a new thread in the appropriate forum section, thanks :)

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Planning Permission was granted for the station on 28 February. Reference is 21/00824/FUL (Calderdale Council).

Status
Not open for further replies.