• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proving to Southern that their own train exists!

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Veteran Member
Whilst that may make him feel better, the chance of it accomplishing anything more is negligible.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crehld

Established Member
Southern have failed to meet the deadline set for them to address the matter satisfactorily. After three unsuccessful attempts to resolve this simple complaint with Southern directly I have been left with no option but to escalate it.

crehld

Established Member
I have this morning received an email saying that the cost of my ticket is being sent to me in the form of "goodwill vouchers".

There is no admission that my journey was delayed despite the incontrovertible fact that it was, no acknowledgement my delay repay claim was valid, and no expression of regret or apology for the inconvenience I have had to endure in trying to settle this matter.

I am unsure if this sudden turn of goodwill has been prompted by my raising the matter with Transport Focus or not. I certainly haven't heard anything from Transport Focus directly. While I have now received the amount of delay repay compensation I am entitled to (pending delivery of goodwill vouchers), I am still owed a meaningful apology for the wholly unacceptable and unprofessional way this has been handled.

I wonder how cookie365 is getting on?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Perhaps a concise old fashioned letter, sent to the chief eecutive at the company's registered office by recorded delivery, outlining the issues you've faced is called for.

Although I wouldn't expect it to be read or answered personally by the CEO in my experience complaints sent this way tend to be dealt with more seriously.

I have an outstanding case with VTEC following an issue with barrier staff at Kings Cross and a laughable couple of responses from their customer relations team. I'm sure I'll get a more appropriate response this time round.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I have this morning received an email saying that the cost of my ticket is being sent to me in the form of "goodwill vouchers".

Will you be able to exchange these "goodwill vouchers" for the cold, hard cash you would be entitled to under Delay Repay?

Hmm.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Although I wouldn't expect it to be read or answered personally by the CEO in my experience complaints sent this way tend to be dealt with more seriously.

In the case of VTEC, bitching at David Horne on Twitter seems to get dealt with more seriously than raising matters with their hopeless customer services team.

cookie365

Well, Southern have finally discovered their missing train once I sent them screenshots and links to the proof.

And have coughed up the vouchers, a mere 2 months after I sent the claim. Vague template apologies for the delay and inconvenience. Nothing about strengthening their work flows so it doesn't happen again.

Meh.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Well, Southern have finally discovered their missing train once I sent them screenshots and links to the proof.

And have coughed up the vouchers, a mere 2 months after I sent the claim. Vague template apologies for the delay and inconvenience. Nothing about strengthening their work flows so it doesn't happen again.

Meh.

I suppose that, as Southern have been running so few trains that they should, it's not surprising they assumed it hadn't run!

jon0844

Veteran Member
I suppose that, as Southern have been running so few trains that they should, it's not surprising they assumed it hadn't run!

Yeah, they probably said in their letter that they'll now work hard to address the situation- and make sure the train doesn't run in the future.

crehld

Established Member
Thought I'd provide a brief update now the matter seems to have been resolved. GTR finally paid up the 100% of the ticket value I was owed for being delayed over an hour. It took almost four months to process an very simple delay repay claim. There was no apology for the delay to my journey or to the poor handling of my complaint, and the letter accompanying the vouchers heavily stressed they were issued to me on a "goodwill" basis.

In the meantime Transport Focus agreed that the way my complaint had be handled was wholly inadequate, and that the decision to withhold compensation due to me under the delay repay scheme was wrong, on all three occasions I had asked GTR to consider / re-consider it. Transport Focus likewise agreed that my demand of an extra payment to be paid on top of the compensation in light of the poor service I received and the extra hassle I had to endure was reasonable and warranted, and to this end I have now received extra "goodwill" vouchers from GTR.

Note I have still not received an apology (nor do I expect to receive one), let alone an empty commitment to look at processes and strive for improvement. It strikes me as the behaviour of a company that is putting in a lot of effort to go out of its way not to give a c**p.

gray1404

Established Member
How much extra "goodwill" did GTR give you?

I would argue that if you have only received goodwill then you are still rightly due the compensation you deserve. Also, were the "goodwill" vouchers from GTR cashable at one of their stations? When I have received goodwill RTVs from them they have not allowed them to be exchanged for cash (see the back of the voucher for the wording).

crehld

Established Member
How much extra "goodwill" did GTR give you?

It amounts to an additional 125% of the value of the compensation I was paid.

I would argue that if you have only received goodwill then you are still rightly due the compensation you deserve. Also, were the "goodwill" vouchers from GTR cashable at one of their stations? When I have received goodwill RTVs from them they have not allowed them to be exchanged for cash (see the back of the voucher for the wording).

To be fair I really don't care about whether they're cashable or not as they'll easily be spent on future rail travel.

Groningen

Established Member
This is behind the paywall of the Telegraph: Passengers to be given refunds on journeys as major rail operator axes 340 trains.

From Portsmouth: More than 340 trains a day will be cut in a revised timetable, Southern Railway have said.

Southern is introducing a temporary revised weekday timetable from Monday (July 11) to reduce the impact on passengers and staff of unpredictable and late notice cancellations caused daily by unprecedented levels of train crew sickness and unwillingness among others to work overtime. A total of 341 trains a day will cut on the network. The operator is also taking action to encourage staff back to work and working with the government to introduce more generous passenger compensation. Southern has been locked in a bitter row with the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union over plans to change the role of conductors, which has led to several strikes. Alex Foulds, director of Southern Passenger Services, said: ‘We are introducing this temporary weekday revised timetable with reluctance but it is the best thing we can do for our passengers who have been suffering daily cancellations ever since this dispute with the RMT began, and for which we are sincerely sorry. ‘It should give the majority of our passengers a better, more consistent service that they can plan around. ‘While our first priority is our passengers, we also understand that this has been a difficult time for our staff. Conductors already know that their jobs are guaranteed, that there will be no reduction in salary and that the independent rail safety body has confirmed our plans are safe.

Now, after listening to our staff, we have also decided to restore leisure travel benefits. All of this, we believe, should help our staff feel able to return to work and so reduce the issues causing the current high level of train cancellations.’ The company, which runs trains between Portsmouth and Brighton and up to London Victoria, said trains would be running at 95 per cent capacity to Victoria in the AM and PM peaks. The West Coastway line between Brighton and Southampton services is mostly withdrawn. Passengers should catch Brighton to Portsmouth trains and change at Barnham onto the Victoria to Southampton trains which are still running. Between 07.35am to 10.14am there are no stopping services between Chichester and Havant so replacement buses are being provided. Gatwick Express services in the peak times are largely unaffected but there is a reduced service in the off peak.

Last edited:

gray1404

Established Member
To be fair I really don't care about whether they're cashable or not as they'll easily be spent on future rail travel.

You clearly use ticket offices much more then I do or perhaps buy more walk up type fares.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have just noticed that on the Gatwick Express website, the delay repay form there now allows customer to select to receive a cheque (in addition to cashable RTVs).

The cheque option however is NOT offered on the delay forms on the Southern or Thameslink/Great Northern sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.