• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Purcahse a dmu

Status
Not open for further replies.

acquiesce

Hi,

Does anyone know how much it would cost to buy a DMU 117, 108, or 121?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
The initial cost isn't the problem, usually fairly reasonable. A cl.121 may cost around £120k+ depending on state.

However, stabling costs, very high fuel prices, track access costs, insurance, driver training make it go well beyond the £1m mark.

ACE1888

£1!
When I was an active member of the 'Helston Railway' Diesel Group, we purchased a Class 103 from the West Somerset Railway, well we were 'donated it', just had to pay to move it from Somerset to Cornwall (Gwinear Road station site), and then it was moved to Trevarno, on the relaid formation towards Helston.
Still 'ongoing' the restoration I believe, although I'm not an 'active' member at present...

acquiesce

If I had the cash/time (and line of course!) it would be a Class 121, in Railblue, everytime...just love 'Bubbles'!

I'm with you on that. I can't stand seeing the DMU in green. It has to be in railblue with the yellow face.

Rich
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The Barry Island Railways' three car class 115 DMU has been bought for scrap with a view to getting it rehomed if possible: If anybody has a few grand going spare then get in touch with EMR to see how much it's going for!

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=43154

Thanks sprinterguy!

junglejames

Established Member
Why would you want to buy a train?

Eh! Thank god not everybody thinks like that. Otheriwse you'd have a different job me thinks!

There are loads of reasons for buying trains. Some people buy them because they are in charge of TOCs and are provding a service to passengers, some people buy them because they are in charge of preserved lines, and some buy them, just because they would like to have their own train to look after.
Ooh, the thought of having a couple of coaches in the back garden!! Id never be in the house, id live in the coaches!!! Now i just need a 47 to add onto the front to provide ETH!!

Seriously though, there are so many reasons why people would want to buy a train. Perhaps its a money making scheme. Perhaps they think they can hire it to a preserved railway and make some dosh on it. Perhaps its simply a hobby. Hey, perhaps he's really Mr Branson in disguise, and he's trying to find a replacement for his pendos!!!

Yew

Established Member
Eh! Thank god not everybody thinks like that. Otheriwse you'd have a different job me thinks!

There are loads of reasons for buying trains. Some people buy them because they are in charge of TOCs and are provding a service to passengers, some people buy them because they are in charge of preserved lines, and some buy them, just because they would like to have their own train to look after.
Ooh, the thought of having a couple of coaches in the back garden!! Id never be in the house, id live in the coaches!!! Now i just need a 47 to add onto the front to provide ETH!!

Seriously though, there are so many reasons why people would want to buy a train. Perhaps its a money making scheme. Perhaps they think they can hire it to a preserved railway and make some dosh on it. Perhaps its simply a hobby. Hey, perhaps he's really Mr Branson in disguise, and he's trying to find a replacement for his pendos!!!

I think you could live quite comfortably inside an old double decker bus. If they sell 150140, Ill buy it

Status
Not open for further replies.