• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Purchasing Priv Tickets Anytime Return - what TOCs can I use it on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarieMew

So, early next month I'm travelling to Leicester, and I'm using my ATOC card to purchase a Priv Anytime Return on the day as it will be cheaper than purchasing an online advance.

However, will this ticket be set for use on only two TOCs, e.g. Northern Rail and East Midlands? With Leicester being where it is, it requires at least one change-over, but there are several which operate the line. As I'm trying to look up the train times in advance, it would be useful to know if this ticket would only be valid for certain services, so I can accommodate for earlier trains or later ones, as I'm aiming to get to Leicester by a certain time.

I'm sorry if any of the above is confusing; I'm not really used to travelling such a distance or purchasing tickets for trains, as I'm used to travelling only short, occasional distances such as Manchester to Altrincham. The furthest I've travelled before was via Grand Central to London, and as that was only one train, I had little to get confused over (and my Dad spoke to the conductor and driver first).

Any help appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Urban Gateline

Established Member
What is the Origin and Destination printed on the ticket?

Normally you can use the ticket on any TOC as long as you follow permitted routes or take a direct train. It will say on the "Route:" part of your ticket if it is TOC restricted (e.g. Route: FCC Only, would mean you must take First Capital Connect Trains)

MarieMew

So, I'm guessing for a route which requires a connection two tickets would be given (four including the return)?

I managed to find the ATOC Restrictions page; it says there is no restriction on any of the services I'd be likely to use for Manchester-Leicester, so I'm presuming that I would be okay to travel on these services? The only term is that I'd have to buy a Priv ticket in advance, which is something I'm doing anyway on the day (better to pay a little in advance, than risk it on the train and be made to pay standard fare!).

Urban Gateline

Established Member
So, I'm guessing for a route which requires a connection two tickets would be given (four including the return)?

I managed to find the ATOC Restrictions page; it says there is no restriction on any of the services I'd be likely to use for Manchester-Leicester, so I'm presuming that I would be okay to travel on these services? The only term is that I'd have to buy a Priv ticket in advance, which is something I'm doing anyway on the day (better to pay a little in advance, than risk it on the train and be made to pay standard fare!).

You can buy a through ticket from Manchester to Leicester (£14.90 Single or £18 Open Return) If you do this then you would only get two tickets, one for Outward and one for Return.

You can buy that PRIV ticket on the day of travel for the same cost, so unless you are travelling at peak times there is no advantage to buying it days before.

If you are using Virgin Trains, East Midland Trains or CrossCountry from Manchester then you may be able to approach the Train Manager in good time before the service departs to ask if they would sell you a PRIV ticket onboard, you may find they give you the wink and nod ;)

Last edited:

High Dyke

Established Member
Welcome. Do you have Free travel on any of the TOCs you are intending to use?

Priv cards (aka Staff Travel cards) are only valid for a reduction of Anytime fares. Someone posted that it doesn't matter what time of day you travel (subject to ATOC restrictions, as you mention)the price will be the same. Buying prior to the day of travel will cost no more or less than on the day; however it would save the hassle of queuing at a ticket office.

This website may help: http://www.brfares.com/#home In the Railcard/Discounts section on search type Staff.

Last edited:

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You do not need a ticket per train, as we have through tickets on the National Rail system. A through ticket is valid on all of the trains necessary to make the whole journey printed on the front.

MarieMew

Thankyou! This has definitely helped, and matches with what my Dad said about being able to get an open return on my card for £18 (he's a driver for Northern).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Manchester to Leicester is valid via Sheffield or any combination of Crewe, Stoke, Birmingham and Nuneaton, so in theory your PRIV ticket could be valid on any of London Midland, Virgin, East Midlands Trains, Northern, CrossCountry, Transpennine Express and Arriva Trains Wales depending on which way you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.